Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 08 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 08, 2015 20:32 |  #1

Looking at the p0, they have one without any clamp attached:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ball_P0_with_Pa​nning.html (external link)

It also says:

1/4"-20 Camera Screw
1/4"-20 to 3/8"-16 Bushing

In my research I've seen people talk about length of screw and scratching the actual ball, as well as people talking about bolting on a head (???)

I find all this very confusing. Do I need to be very selective in terms of which clamp will actually fit with this?

Looking at some random clamps - do these attach to the p0 very cleanly/clearly? Is something additional needed - or needed to be done to the attachment?

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …elease_Locking_​Lever.html (external link)

And this one:
http://www.reallyright​stuff.com …-Lever-release-clamp.html (external link)

Why should you invest in a quick-release system? Because screwing your camera or lens onto a platform with standard ¼"-20 screw is tedious and insecure. Not only is it a hassle to screw your gear onto that platform, but once installed the camera or lens is free to rotate; there's nothing to prevent it from coming loose.

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 09, 2015 06:53 |  #2

I understand your predicament. I was not able to determine what I would needed to order from RRS so I order the Sunwayfoto 60mm discal Arca style clamp for the P0. Its here: http://www.ebay.com …geName=STRK%3AM​EBIDX%3AIT (external link) The RRS stud looks way to long for this particular head.

My clamp and P0 should be here by Wednesday and I'll be able to get you the info on the mounting screw length provided with the clamp and the P0's stud length.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,913 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 09, 2015 18:21 |  #3

I have the p0, and it comes with a 1/4 to 3/8 bushing that can be screwed into most arca clamps. It comes with that bushing, so nothing else is needed.

Most clamps have a 3/8" threaded whole, which will fit exactly into the p0..... if not, then the clamp will have a 1/4" threaded hole, which also works.

One thing to beware with is that if your clamp DOES NOT lay flush, it has a chance of hitting the panning knob. I have that issue with my kirk clamp, however in practice it's not an issue. I will upload some photos to show what I mean.

when screwed in all the way, the clamp knob and panning knob of the p0 hit each other, however in practice, with an arca plate, it's not an issue as there's just enough clearance. So if you get a slightly longer knob, you'll be in the clear. At worse, it becomes an annoyance if it interferes, you wont be able to make full 360 degree turns, only ~340 degrees or so.

I cant say about the acratech, however the RRS clamp looks like it will work fine, since the clamping mechanism is flush and has 3/8" threads. Should be fairly easy to attach. Just use some vibratite or loctite blue.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by kaitlyn2004.

Mar 09, 2015 18:40 |  #4

Charlie wrote in post #17467943 (external link)
I have the p0, and it comes with a 1/4 to 3/8 bushing that can be screwed into most arca clamps. It comes with that bushing, so nothing else is needed.

Most clamps have a 3/8" threaded whole, which will fit exactly into the p0..... if not, then the clamp will have a 1/4" threaded hole, which also works.

One thing to beware with is that if your clamp DOES NOT lay flush, it has a chance of hitting the panning knob. I have that issue with my kirk clamp, however in practice it's not an issue. I will upload some photos to show what I mean.

when screwed in all the way, the clamp knob and panning knob of the p0 hit each other, however in practice, with an arca plate, it's not an issue as there's just enough clearance. So if you get a slightly longer knob, you'll be in the clear. At worse, it becomes an annoyance if it interferes, you wont be able to make full 360 degree turns, only ~340 degrees or so.

I cant say about the acratech, however the RRS clamp looks like it will work fine, since the clamping mechanism is flush and has 3/8" threads. Should be fairly easy to attach. Just use some vibratite or loctite blue.

Thank you very much for this insight! Definitely not something I would have thought of. I guess this is where a lever definitely solves the problem, or getting one with a longer post indeed.

I actually just came across this one:
http://www.sunwayfoto.​com/e_goodsDetail.aspx​?gId=1285 (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.sunwayfoto.com/upPic/130656870383906250.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.sunwayfoto.com/upPic/130656871157500000.jpg

Which was actually DESIGNED for the p0! Doesn't seem like they offer a lever version - maybe just stick with the screw... I do tend to feel a bit safer with the screw type I think...

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,913 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Charlie.

Mar 09, 2015 19:18 as a reply to  @ kaitlyn2004's post |  #5

personally, I would stay away from sunwayphoto clamps. Reason being is that the spirit level has been horribly inaccurate in my experience. I have a sunway panning head, and you guessed it, used for panoramas, and the level is useless.

acratech, I trust, I have a leveling base of theirs. Perfect.
kirk, I trust, but overpriced, I only use it because I have the ballhead so I took it off. Lightweight, despite the looks.
rrs clamp........ hands down the best clamp ever. Pure joy to use, accurate level, however I'm not sure how heavy it is, some clamps are are kinda heavy and defeat the purpose of having such a lightweight head.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

battletone
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by battletone.

Mar 22, 2015 10:11 |  #6

Any reason you are going with this over the Z1? I had to make that choice a month or two ago and went with the Z1 and the RRS panning lever release. Now I can pan at the base or on the clamp.
The RRS i got doesn't thread onto the 1/4" screw, that screw comes out, and it it has a locking tab it hooks into and then screws into the ball. Zero chane of coming loose. With that panning version on the P0 it almost looks like you either have to thread the QR onto the stud, or you have to remove and lose the panning Arca Swiss provided.
I love the setup I went with.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 22, 2015 11:01 |  #7

battletone wrote in post #17486529 (external link)
Any reason you are going with this over the Z1? I had to make that choice a month or two ago and went with the Z1 and the RRS panning lever release. Now I can pan at the base or on the clamp.
The RRS i got doesn't thread onto the 1/4" screw, that screw comes out, and it it has a locking tab it hooks into and then screws into the ball. Zero chane of coming loose. With that panning version on the P0 it almost looks like you either have to thread the QR onto the stud, or you have to remove and lose the panning Arca Swiss provided.
I love the setup I went with.

The Z1 is bigger/heavier duty than I need - plus the built-in panning up top is a very nice bonus

sponsored links

2,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.