Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Mar 2015 (Friday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how to white balance images with two different types of light

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by jc1350. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2015 07:21 as a reply to  @ post 17466298 |  #16

N2bnfunn's comment was a reply to a comment/post that is no longer here (both of which were replies to Wilt's post, currently post #10) and your post was incorrectly quoted (reply to post vs reply to thread is my guess).

--
John

sponsored links
03062k3
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 09, 2015 09:44 |  #17

John from PA wrote in post #17463847 (external link)
Did you review the link about flourescent lighting that I provided?

hi john, yes i did read through the link and while informative not sure it was quite the problem i was having...that or i just did not quite get it -?

primary: 6D || 17-40/4L || 24-105/4L || 40/2.8 pancake || 70-200/2.8L is
secondary and travel: eos m || ef-m 18-55/3.5-5.6 || ef-m 22/2 pancake || ef-m to ef/ef-s adapter
flashes: speedlite 430ex ii || speedlite 90ex

03062k3
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 09, 2015 09:45 |  #18

sorry for not posting images yet, friday evening and weekend ended up being really busy. i will definitely make sure to post something tonight!

secondary and travel: eos m || ef-m 18-55/3.5-5.6 || ef-m 22/2 pancake || ef-m to ef/ef-s adapter

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,715 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 09, 2015 12:06 as a reply to  @ post 17466091 |  #19

What one does as an 'artistic endeavor' (like Ansel Adams) is quite different from what one does as in income producing activity. If you have lots of time on your hands, spending that time in the darkroom rather than on paying an outside service is wise. And time spent on custom prints is not the same as simply inserting a negative and a piece of print paper, pressing the 'expose' button over and over with no dodging and burning in.

OTOH, if one has lots of photographic studio sessions and paid gigs covering events/weddings, where one earns more per hour while on the job shooting -- but lesser earnings per hour in the darkroom -- going outside for that work can be the smarter way to spend your available time. Yes, there is no single right way to approach it...the wise businessman figures out the more cost effective way in which to conduct business. In 1995 it cost me only $3.70 for a color 8x10 print when sending it out, and printing hundreds of them for a single wedding package was too time consuming. I would have to print and process more than 16 prints per hour to simply equal what I could earn simply shooting (and that is not even factoring out the overhead of space, paper and chemistry!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

03062k3
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 10, 2015 09:13 |  #20

here is one of my processed photos with white balance set to the main subject (the speaking pastor) but you can see that the projection on the wall is blue-tinged when it should be white, and the upper half of the wall and the aluminum baptism tank is also tinged blue instead of their actual colours.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S82hz_Chtys/VPsw3qmKhcI/AAAAAAAABrs/7RW6tj35ePQ/s640/IMG_6911.JPG

black and white conversions worked pretty well
IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Tuj-U-Fh8Lk/VPsw8Y_85oI/AAAAAAAABrs/1XHgNEd5e9U/s640/IMG_6925.JPG

we were pretty lucky that the main subjects were all standing in the right positions to be fully in the spotlights so they were all consistently lit rather than having mixed source lighting on their faces or bodies. looking back on the photos i think i am going to just leave them with a custom white balance i eventually found that gives an acceptable blend between the two light sources. subject is still more or less properly balanced while the background is not as blue-tinged as the first photo above.
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Dxk3Xo9e3-8/VPsyjuP-L4I/AAAAAAAABrs/yUALeTGaQaM/s640/IMG_7082.JPG

03062k3
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 10, 2015 09:25 |  #21

as for the parallel discussion on in this thread, my personal opinion having originally started out with black-and-white film photography, processing on my own in a dark room and then switching to digital after a break in-between, is that it is all the same really. processing manually with things like dodging, burning in, etc. in a dark room is the same as processing on a computer with software. the only real difference is that the digital version is much more accessible to everyone than dark rooms with all the fun equipment were and there might be a few additional processes that were either not needed as much (i.e., white balancing).

as for spending the time myself or getting someone else to process my photos in post, it is just a matter of personal preference since neither option is wrong. i personally like to process my own photos rather than have someone else do them because i had particular ideas in my head for the photos when i captured them on my camera. i can also say that the final image is entirely my own and will feel good about putting my name (or watermark ;-)a) to. other photographers may feel and do differently but that is just as good in the end as long as they are meeting their needs/wants be it for income, enjoyment or otherwise.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 10, 2015 11:37 |  #22

So, for a shot like that you might be able to just desaturate the blue channel and use layer masks to limit it to the screen/tank. They are pretty easy shapes to work with and there isn't much around them that will be affected.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,999 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2015 12:27 |  #23

Yes that is a situation where desaturating the blue channel will work OK. Then you just have to mask out the area that you want to keep "normal". You can either do that in something like PS and use a layer mask, or use the method I suggested earlier for using LR.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,392 views & 2 likes for this thread
how to white balance images with two different types of light
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.