Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tired of softbox assembly

ThreeHounds
846 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 08, 2015 21:40 as a reply to  @ post 17466571 |  #16

They have a store on Amazon. Just picked up a new quick ring and a couple of Bowens adapters

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 08, 2015 21:47 |  #17

simonbarker wrote in post #17466571 (external link)
Calumet fittings work just fine, do you have any Calumet stores left in the US?

I just went to using Fotodiox ez-pro boxes and moved on

I AM SHOM

texshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by texshooter. (2 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2015 23:08 as a reply to  @ abbadon31's post |  #18

Has anybody tried the OEC Ez speed ring as an alternative to the Bowens Quick Ring. See here...
http://petefree.com …tning_strobes_R​eview.html (external link)

Although it does not have a swivel arm like the Bowens does, its rod holes are angled which allows for easier insertion, according to the reviewer. Plus it fits octoboxes, no drilling required.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,914 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 09, 2015 07:08 |  #19

abbadon31 wrote in post #17466598 (external link)

Ya, well, I wish you would have figured this out before I spent all that money on the other crap:-P

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

simonbarker
245 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by simonbarker. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2015 09:32 |  #20

abbadon31 wrote in post #17466598 (external link)

I assume if he wanted generic Chinese products he would have already bought some.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by CAPhotog. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2015 09:44 |  #21

texshooter wrote in post #17464863 (external link)
Chimera sells quick release speed rings for use with their softboxes. See here...

https://m.youtube.com/​watch?v=YwO6uO1oRc4 (external link)

Does anybody know of a similar quick release speed ring that can join Photoflex softboxes to PCB flash?

OP, you can buy Chimera's Quick Release Ring for White Lightning/Buff too. Chimera is pricey but works without the cons of the Bowens Quick Ring. Just not for octas.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …k_Release_Speed​_Ring.html (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 09, 2015 10:35 |  #22

windpig wrote in post #17467033 (external link)
Ya, well, I wish you would have figured this out before I spent all that money on the other crap:-P

We have all spent money on crap that looked good and find out it was the wrong path Ralph.

I AM SHOM

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 09, 2015 10:54 |  #23

simonbarker wrote in post #17467194 (external link)
I assume if he wanted generic Chinese products he would have already bought some.

EZ-Pro line is inexpensive, but I wouldn't call it generic if you mean cheaply made.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 09, 2015 11:01 |  #24

I would never call Fotodiox Ez-Pro boxes Generic or Chinese crap. They are built tuff and over fives years of use here with no problems.

I AM SHOM

texshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by texshooter. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2015 11:24 |  #25

CAPhotog wrote in post #17467209 (external link)
OP, you can buy Chimera's Quick Release Ring for White Lightning/Buff too. Chimera is pricey but works without the cons of the Bowens Quick Ring. Just not for octas.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …k_Release_Speed​_Ring.html (external link)

Yeah, but....does the Chimera Quick Ring work well with PHOTOFLEX softboxes in particular? Does it have any of the following problems like the Bowens QR has:

1. Because all the pole holes are not the same depth, the front of the softbox is crooked.
2. The holes are too big, so the poles fall out.
3. Does not work with octas without drilling holes. (You answered this one, the Chimera's do not accept octas.)
4. By the looks of it, the Chimera QR does not fit rectangular strip boxes, only square ones. Is this true. The Bowens will accept strip boxes.

I, too, wish I had purchased the collapsible softboxes from PCB. I generally avoid Chinese knockoffs. I went with Photoflex because I felt they had the best value (quality plus cost). Little did I know how painful their assembly was going to be. I'm in too deep to buy/sell more softboxes. I need to make what I have work.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by CAPhotog.

Mar 09, 2015 16:06 as a reply to  @ texshooter's post |  #26

The Chimera quick release ring works with Photoflex LiteDomes and MultiDomes, but not HalfDomes or Octodomes. Photoflex softboxes have great fabric and quality of light. No need to replace them. Innovative 30 years ago, they still work the same today. The lack of convenience applies to any standard soft box regardless of brand, including Chimera or Plume. For collapsible boxes though, newer designs are the way to go.

simonbarker
245 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 09, 2015 20:09 |  #27

CAPhotog wrote in post #17467308 (external link)
EZ-Pro line is inexpensive, but I wouldn't call it generic if you mean cheaply made.

Hrm but they are cheaply made, that's not the same thing as saying they're garbage quality (after all many brands come from Asia anyway).

I just took the response the wrong way, there's certainly merit in considering the generic stuff if you choose well but it's not too much use to someone trying to make a go of the Bowens/Calumet Quick ring.

simonbarker
245 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 09, 2015 20:16 |  #28

abbadon31 wrote in post #17467317 (external link)
I would never call Fotodiox Ez-Pro boxes Generic or Chinese crap. They are built tuff and over fives years of use here with no problems.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken they're just re-branding a generic Chinese design aren't they?

Certainly looks a lot like some of the softboxes I've used in the past, some of them I even quite liked (the price is usually right).

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 10, 2015 01:16 |  #29

simonbarker wrote in post #17468072 (external link)
Unless I'm horribly mistaken they're just re-branding a generic Chinese design aren't they?

Certainly looks a lot like some of the softboxes I've used in the past, some of them I even quite liked (the price is usually right).

I think your mistaking the Chinese knock off with Fotodiox. The EZ-pro is built like a tank and have lasted longer then some of high end brands. I got my first one in September of 2010 and its still working the same 2015.

I AM SHOM

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,704 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 10, 2015 10:22 |  #30

abbadon31 wrote in post #17468341 (external link)
I think your mistaking the Chinese knock off with Fotodiox. The EZ-pro is built like a tank and have lasted longer then some of high end brands. I got my first one in September of 2010 and its still working the same 2015.

Ya, the EZ Pro ones are great quality. Even my 2 year old front diffusers arent yellowing.

Shane
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,194 views & 1 like for this thread
Tired of softbox assembly
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.