Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 07 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 22:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B and Z - how do you people do this all the time?

nes_matt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nes_matt.

Mar 09, 2015 20:33 |  #16

nathancarter wrote in post #17467692 (external link)
:lol: I can't tell if you're being dry-witty here or not.

Bridgette and Zach got married, presumably just once. Matt (OP) photographed their wedding, probably for free or almost-free.

Matt is spent after a long day of hard work, and wonders how professional wedding photographers photograph many weddings without dying of exhaustion.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have winner!

Bridgette and Zach got married. Once. I assumed this was evident from the forum I posted in.

Also, added (3) more to the original post.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links
wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by wallstreetoneil. (2 edits in all)

Mar 10, 2015 12:46 |  #17

my comment is concerning DoF and shooting groups

looking at your data, you shot the group at F5, 24mm, 1/200

if I use my 24-70 to guesstimate your distance from the bride in the front row - my guess is 6ft

at 6ft, 24mm at F5, you have a Depth of Field of 7.8ft - with 'basically' 2ft in front and 5.8ft back of the center point

my guess, looking at the photo, is that you picked your critical focus point to be the bride (as most would) but in this case at F5 you should have picked the guy in the 2nd row, or reduced sync speed to 1/60, dropped to F8 - and then you would have had plenty of DoF for the people in the back row

I was doing a lot of experimenting with very narrow DoF 2 years ago, adjusting my lens with MFA to move the DoF around to get what I wanted, and it made me much more aware when shooting groups of very often choosing someone in the second row, depending on Aperture / etc when shooting groups at weddings

I also found it far better to have a few hard rules of thumb to simplifying things when shooting groups in terms of knowing the numbers cold. Below are 4 common situations where it is technically better to not focus on the Bride in the Front row but focus behind her:

1) VERY tight space 24mm Group Shot at 8ft (lots of people in background - similar to your group shot)
- [24mm/F8] = 8ft hyperfocal distance = 4ft to infinity is DoF - aim at person in 2nd row
- as a general rule, I try and avoid 24mm on people unless it is necessary, if it is - it is

2) Tight space 35mm Group Shot at 10ft - 2 rows of people
- [35mm/F4] = 6.5ft DoF
- nose of nearest person in 2nd row just behind the Bride

3) Tight space 35mm Group Shot at 10ft - more than 2 rows
- [35mm/F8] = 18ft of DoF
- person in the 2nd row

4) More Space 50mm Group Shot at 15ft
- [50mm/ F4] = 7ft DoF = noise of person in 2nd row just behind the bride

5) More Space 50mm Big Group at 15ft
- [50mm / F8] = 16ft DoF = nose of person 5ft behind Bride

It takes a little bit of trust and frankly practice pictures to become comfortable not focusing on the Bride in group shots but often just behind her - do not throw away the critical in focus depth of field in front of the focus point if you need more rearwards - just find someone, often in the 2nd row and focus on them - but you will want to keep it simple and have goto apertures and focal lengths so you are 100% confident - it isn't hard - embrace focusing just behind the bride when needed.

There are caveats to the above suggestions - and often it comes down to available light and needing wider apertures or wider apertures for DoF control to blur backgrounds. But, if this is the case, then it is even more important to know your numbers and often even more important to be able to pick a point at the back of the bride's head so that you are not throwing away ANY critical infocus DoF as every mm counts. At 100mm, 2.8 at 15ft you have 1.1 feet of critical in focus DoF - aiming at the Bride's ear will allow you to still have her eyes in focus and the groom's as well assuming he is in a pose just behind her

nice pictures and congrats

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

nes_matt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 10, 2015 20:20 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #18

Wow! what a great helpful reply! Thank you for the pointer.

You are right I focused on the bride.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

Jon ­ Tinkler
103 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 12, 2015 23:05 as a reply to  @ post 17467692 |  #19

I'm looking at my weekend coming up and wondering if I actually MIGHT die of exhaustion by Sunday night. Good luck to everyone out there shooting this weekend :-)

Millgrove Photography

aezoss
443 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Apr 02, 2015 00:36 |  #20

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17468994 (external link)
my comment is concerning DoF and shooting groups

Great info in this post, thanks. Apologies for bumping the thread.

Lee

bluefire7
190 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2015 14:39 |  #21

Very good job for a non-pro! I'm sure your couple will be pleased. Pretty sure most others in your position wouldn't care to do the same research and work pre-wedding in order to get the same quality work. ;-)a

Canon 5DmkIV | Canon 16-35 F2.8L II, Canon 100 F2.8L Macro, Canon 135 F2L, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II, Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II, Sigma 50 F1.4 ART, Sigma 85 F1.4, | Canon 600 RT, Canon 580 EXII, Canon 430 EXII | Radiopopper JrX's
NY Wedding Photographer (external link):eek:
LIKE Us (external link):cool:

Brian ­ Parkes
57 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 04, 2015 16:42 |  #22

Not the best I have seen, but definitely not the worst. I can tell you my first wedding was far, far worse!

All the stress and worry goes away with practice and experience, in the end apart from the physical effort it actually becomes quite relaxing, it does for me anyway! Stick with it.

Brian Parkes LSWPP
www.brianparkes.com (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Apr 04, 2015 17:27 as a reply to  @ post 17467692 |  #23

I can't seem to delete this accidental post so I'll just say, I knew exactly what the thread title meant before clicking the thread.

:D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,786 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 08, 2015 07:43 |  #24

I think your technical work is pretty good. With the suggestions here, you should be able to tweak your process.

My only comment is you may want to think a bit on the posing. The subjects were positioned OK, but they seem to come across a bit "stiff" in their posing. For example, the shot with the bride in the foreground and the groom towards back-right (near the cross), the groom is standing with his arms just dangling at his sides. If he could have positioned his arms with a bent elbow, or some other more natural looking pose I think the whole image would be improved.

Bear in mind I'm no professional by any means, but I have been reading up on posing and wedding/portrait work (in hopes of joining the fray). Posing seems to be that extra touch that takes a 95% picture and makes it a 100% picture.

Overall, I think you did a great job. There is lots of good advice in your thread here, I just thought that the posing aspect is something to remember as well.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

sponsored links

5,516 views & 5 likes for this thread
B and Z - how do you people do this all the time?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.