Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Mar 2015 (Monday) 16:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to work around Camera Raw update?

Steve-22
32 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 09, 2015 16:55 |  #1

I enjoyed editing RAWs on my wife's laptop, but I want to work on my computer since I realized how my LCD monitor shows more detail of the photos I took (even nicer than an HD TV). Problem is that I have a Canon T5/1200D and windows XP. On the laptop I had no issues due to running Win 8 with Photoshop CC. Now that I know that my camera is not supported because of an older version of Windows & Photoshop I am very angry that they want to use a marketing strategy on me so that I can see that fancy RAW editor's panel.

Is there a way to work around this? I was reading that a free CR2 to DNG converter may be an option, but it could mess with the compression, not to mention that I would only be able to open my RAWs - not edit them in Camera Raw.
Then I checked out Lightroom and same update issue as well.

After using Vista and Windows 8 I say no, thank you. I'll stick to something that doesn't freeze on me, lose function of programes with automatic updates, give me a headache and I can depend on all the time. Upgrading your new camera is a different scenario - you will likely have new features, better ISO, IQ etc.
In this case they want me to purchase a new computer with a newer OS, which in my opinion does not worth the money since I'm not a professional photographer.

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated!

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,105 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by kirkt.

Mar 09, 2015 17:39 |  #2

Adobe DNG Converter is free. It will convert your more "modern" raw files to DNGs that are editable in older versions of Adobe Camera Raw (you said you had an older version of photoshop).

Give it a shot. You can configure its backward compatibility if you need to.

kirk

Kirk
---

Steve-22
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 09, 2015 19:34 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #3

Doesn't work. I tried DNG Converter 8.3 first and it didn't recognize the files no matter what.
DNG Converter 8.4 is the first version to eliminate Windows XP support AND it's also the one to support the camera I have.
Upon installing it says "Windows 7 and above required".
I don't know what to do...

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,932 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 09, 2015 21:47 |  #4

You can use DPP that came with your t5, convert to tiff, and open the tiff in ACR. Maybe not ideal, but it'll work.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 6 years ago by tzalman. (2 edits in all)

Mar 10, 2015 02:56 |  #5

Is there a way to work around this? I was reading that a free CR2 to DNG converter may be an option, but it could mess with the compression, not to mention that I would only be able to open my RAWs - not edit them in Camera Raw.

DNG files are compressed; CR2 files are compressed. In both cases the compression is lossless, although usually DNG compression results in a slightly smaller file. The decompressed image data is identical in both cases.

Now that I know that my camera is not supported because of an older version of Windows & Photoshop I am very angry that they want to use a marketing strategy on me so that I can see that fancy RAW editor's panel.

It's the American way, the life-blood of Capitalism. But conspiracy theories linking Adobe, Microsoft and Apple, while not impossible, seem a bit far-fetched. By the way, Adobe announced in January that henceforth new versions will run on 64x systems only. More sales for M and A. But I think it is more likely the case that running more complex programs with reasonable speed requires more memory and quicker access to it. How many of us would want Adobe to hobble their applications to versions that will run well on 32x XP?

There are a few things other than those suggested above that you can do. Connect the laptop to your standalone monitor - that is what I do. I would never edit photos on my laptop's screen; it has a very narrow gamut and after multiple futile attempts to calibrate it I gave up and now use it only for non-color-critical tasks. And my Dell monitor is twice the size.
Another possibility would be to convert the CR2 files to DNG on the laptop and using Dropbox, Google Drive or the MS cloud, transfer them to the XP machine where you will continue to miss out on the latest and greatest technology, but perhaps your type of photography and level of editing doesn't require it.

Elie / אלי

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 10, 2015 15:24 |  #6

If you can't "beat them, join them". At some point in time, you'll need to upgrade. XP is really ancient and over time there will be less and less you'll be able to do with. Probably no new programs will be compatible with it. Upgrade to Win 7 (not 8), or possibly Win 10 (but don't do this too soon after it comes out. I believe it'll be a free upgrade from 7.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,885 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 10, 2015 15:39 |  #7

Windows 7 will indeed solve this issue, and it's a good OS.

You have that and the .dng route.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Steve-22
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 10, 2015 17:22 |  #8

I think I'll go with the Win 7 update and hope for the best. It's probably the least confusing & most beneficial way to go.

Thanks for all the help!

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 11, 2015 19:30 as a reply to  @ Steve-22's post |  #9

One of the pitfalls of shooting RAW. Don't get me wrong, I shoot raw about all the time but eventually they will not be read in a few years. In that respect, the jpeg shooters have the advantage.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 12, 2015 03:07 |  #10

I have Minolta MRW files from 2001 that are still supported by Adobe even though the company was swallowed up by Sony ten years ago. In extending support to new models the major work is two-part: creating code to read and use any important new metadata and the testing and profiling of an actual physical unit. Once this has been done, the model and maker specific code doesn't take up much volume in the converter's footprint and removing it would be senseless, it is likely to stay there forever.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

1,440 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to work around Camera Raw update?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.