Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 01:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have couple of 40 x 60 cm Softboxes. How to make best use of them?

Moin
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 10, 2015 01:32 |  #1

As the title says, along with 220W Studio Modeling Lamp x 3, stands etc.

I've seen very good results with people using larger soft/octaboxes but can't afford them for now. So, would appreciate any help on how can I use these guys to their full potential? I'm mostly doing portraits and trying to learn productography as well, have a 5D2 and 85mm f/1.8.

Thanks in advance =)

flickrr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 11, 2015 18:07 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Experiment. Really.

Those softboxes are small, so you need to get them really close to the subject –essentially, just off the frame– to get soft shadow edges. Of course, the closer the light is to the subject, the faster the fall off.

A flagged softbox can also make a nice rim light, if you place it far away from the subject so that it's quality of light is betwixt a bowl reflector and a softbox.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 12, 2015 04:44 |  #3

Alveric wrote in post #17470803 (external link)
Experiment. Really.

Those softboxes are small, so you need to get them really close to the subject –essentially, just off the frame– to get soft shadow edges. Of course, the closer the light is to the subject, the faster the fall off.

A flagged softbox can also make a nice rim light, if you place it far away from the subject so that it's quality of light is betwixt a bowl reflector and a softbox.

I see. If I remember correctly, I heard that if the light source is larger than your subject, the closer it should be (maybe I'm wrong). But I'll try.

Thanks

flickrr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by AbPho. (4 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2015 06:46 |  #4

No. A light source appears larger (to the subject) the closer it is to the subject.

Ie: the sun is massive. But so far away that it appears small to us. You can easily block it from your view with your hand. A 40x60 cm softbox is much smaller than the sun, but place it up close and it will appear to be huge. You won't be able to block it from your view with only you hand.

That's how you create softer light. And how you control light fall off. Light falls of quicker the closer it is to the subject. Ie: you have a faster transition from light to dark versus when the light is further away and relatively smaller.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 12, 2015 13:24 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Moin wrote in post #17471437 (external link)
I see. If I remember correctly, I heard that if the light source is larger than your subject, the closer it should be (maybe I'm wrong). But I'll try.

Thanks

Not necessarily. It all comes down to the look you want –i.e. how defined or fuzzy the shadow edges should be. Even a 7' octa can give you hard light, if you place it far away, thus turning it into a point light source.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

953 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have couple of 40 x 60 cm Softboxes. How to make best use of them?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.