Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2015 (Thursday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do high end cameras have no strengthening on battery flaps?

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 12, 2015 13:47 |  #1

Simple question really. From the early days my point n shoots had metal strengthening on the battery flaps. All my higher end models up to my 70D don't have this. I can see it being for easy removal to fit grips on the DSLR's, but the bridge cameras took AA's, and you couldn't attached a grip. Cheers guys,
Col.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 12, 2015 14:02 |  #2

I don't think they were strengthening straps so much as a nessecsy part to complete the circuit for AA batteries. If you look at any device you put AA OR And batteries in they have metal connectors at both end of the batteries to complete the circuit so the device can draw from the battery.

With Li-on camera batteries like the 70 all of the connection terminals are on one end so they do need metal to conduct current on the battery door.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 12, 2015 16:59 |  #3

I think your (both your) sample sizes are too small for your generalizations. I just spot-checked 4 different PowerShot models using LiIon batteries (SD990, SX230HS, S110 and SX60) and 7 EOS models (D60 [not 60D], 20D, 1D3, M, 5D3, 7D and 7D2); with the exception of the 1D3, where the battery is the battery door, all had metal along the inside of the door. Clearly, "high end" cameras do have metal on the battery flaps; whether it's there for strengthening or not, I couldn't say; it's clearly not required to serve as a conductor for the battery in any of those models though. It may be for the switch used to turn the camera off when you open the battery compartment; all these cameras will turn off when you open the battery cover (or the card door, but that's another story).

FWIW, the A620 and A1300 I looked at, as well as the GP-E2 and assorted flash units (all using AA cells) also have metal lining the door; in those cases, dimples on the metal make it clear that they do use the metal as part of the conductor for the battery power regardless of any other possible uses.

BTW, Colin, you might want to look more closely at your battery doors; in at least one of mine, the metal had been coloured black.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,982 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 13, 2015 04:50 |  #4

I too just looked at my cameras 20D/50D and the doors are identical, with big shiny silver metal plates on them. I recall my 300D battery door was the same design, if not the same part number (mine was a Jessops special all black 300D kit with Japan spec 18-55 USM lens). That is hardly surprising though, as they all use the same BP511 battery pack. The 20D through 50D also all share the same battery grip too. I'm afraid the only compact camera in the household is my daughters Panasonic TZ1 so not much help on that front from me.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 14, 2015 12:24 |  #5

First of all, thinking that something is stronger just because it's made of metal is archaic reasoning. Many modern plastics are more resilient and more wear resistant than the metals that would have been used in the past. Petrochemical research has created some truly amazing materials, and although the most exotic of them are probably not used for battery doors in cameras, that door doesn't require unlimited strength either.

The engineered plastics used in most camera bodies are strong enough to usually be more durable than the inner workings, and that seems to be all that is really needed, isn't it? The battery door on my 60D seems to be made of the same stuff as the rest of the body. It's not like it's designed to be sat on while the door is open. I open the door, change the battery, then I close the door. At that point it takes one hell of a knock to damage anything.

That door is probably the weakest point on the body, but that's going to be true in any case, and it's hinge, not the flat part that's going to fail if anything does.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Peoria ­ Man
60 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 15, 2015 08:37 |  #6

This thread reminds me of my dad. Somehow, every piece of portable electronic equipment has a battery door secured by tape! I'm not sure how he manages to do it, but he does.

Nikon D80, D7000, D750, N90S, FA, FM2, F, F2, 1J3... and lenses.
Rolleiflex 2.8C, Baby Rolleiflex, Ricoh Ricohmatic 44, etc.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 16, 2015 18:51 |  #7

As far as I know, Canon's truly high-end DSLRs, the 1D series, do not have battery flaps (or doors).
As far as I know, the only Canon DSLRs that have battery doors are the consumer-grade cameras (like the rebels) and the pro-sumer grade cameras (like the 5D and 7D series).
The full pro-grade, or high-end, bodies don't have doors or flaps.
So I have a hard time answering your question, as that would call for me to discuss something which, to the best of my knowledge, does not exist.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 17, 2015 07:52 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #8

So where does the battery go please, Tom?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Tyguy
499 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tyguy.

Mar 17, 2015 09:31 |  #9

The battery cover is integrated into the battery assembly. There's no 'flap' attached to the camera; when you remove the battery, the cover goes with it.

Google can show you exactly what it looks like.

As far as the original question goes, it's likely cheaper to manufacture a polymer door. They could go with metal doors, but it would add to the final cost of the camera without bringing any real benefit. The plastic doors seem to be strong enough for typical use.

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 17, 2015 10:08 |  #10

Colin Glover wrote in post #17478728 (external link)
So where does the battery go please, Tom?

Tyguy wrote in post #17478875 (external link)
The battery cover is integrated into the battery assembly. There's no 'flap' attached to the camera; when you remove the battery, the cover goes with it.

That is exactly right; a good explanation.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

2,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do high end cameras have no strengthening on battery flaps?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.