Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Mar 2015 (Monday) 19:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thoughts on this FB page

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Mar 09, 2015 19:27 |  #1

My friend just sent me this. I am shocked they leave the photographers name on the pictures and did not black them out?!. What are your thoughts on this? (thank goodness I didn't find any of my pics  :p)

https://www.facebook.c​om …tographer/34514​5922267273 (external link)

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,844 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Nogo.

Mar 09, 2015 19:53 |  #2

No comment on the page itself just a comment on leaving the watermark on the image. If you remove a watermark from a photo and use it for whatever purpose there is the possibility of a rather large fine. That is why the "names" are still on the photographs.

Using photographs you do not have a right to is another subject altogether. A lot of legal issues involved. The site will probably be shut down if enough people complain about their photos being used without permission, but those same people could sue if the photos are altered as you are suggesting.

Philip

Nogo
7,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 09, 2015 20:11 |  #3

Looking at the page I need to change my comment on the legality of using the photos. The Facebook page administrator SHARED all the photos I could see. This is fully acceptable by the Facebook rules and completely legal.

My comments above assumed the photos were copied to the page. By using the Facebook share function and making comments on these photos there is no legal issues at all.

Philip

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Mar 09, 2015 20:13 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #4

Oh I thought that too.

I see they have a website and block out the photographers name.

http://youarenotaphoto​grapher.com (external link)

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 09, 2015 20:17 |  #5

If you look through the page, they aren't actually posting other peoples photos. They are just using the share option.

Nogo
7,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 09, 2015 21:35 |  #6

mamaof2 wrote in post #17468070 (external link)
Oh I thought that too.

I see they have a website and block out the photographers name.

http://youarenotaphoto​grapher.com (external link)

Now that is where they are trying to do a "tightrope" with the law. Check out their terms of service. http://youarenotaphoto​grapher.com/terms-of-service/ (external link) They make the user claim they have the rights to the material and make the user claim it is their photographs, basically. Is the site legal? No. Can they get away with it because of that rule that is basically a disclaimer in the TOS? That would be a question for a judge.

Philip

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2015 05:19 |  #7

Actually the site has no legal worries regarding copyright. The use of the images falls squarely under one of the fair use exemptions, that of Critique. The website is aimed at demonstrating how not to take photographs if you are a professional photographer, and are accepting money for your work. Although the site is harsh it is still legal in what it is doing. As to the matter of obscuring the photographers watermark, that would depend on where the website (as opposed to the shared images on FB) is based. If it is outside of the USA then the DMCA rules (which are I think where the rules on removal of copyright information are enacted in the USA) do not apply. Also I seem to recall that even the US legislation on removal of watermarks requires that there also be an element of claiming the image copyright as belonging to the infringer. In the situation of that particular website, the placing of a mask over the photographers identifying marks, outside of any other claims to ownership, which they clearly do not do, probably falls outside of those regulations. So it would seem the site is clear as far as copyright usage, and probably in the removing of identifying marks.

The above makes no comment on matters of taste or morality of the owners of the website. I have to say that the images that feature are really really bad considering that they are all produced by supposedly "professional" photographers for clients, and were paid for the images. As far as I am aware they do not feature the work of amateurs, I would not agree with such harsh behavior towards those who are not trying to earn a living with these images. The thing is that seeing this level of work showing up regularly of the site I am no longer surprised by the number of folks who also end up stealing other photographers work for their (usually) facebook based pro-photography page. The Photo Stealers blog seems to out around two photographers that are using others work as their own to build a portfolio of work.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2015 10:25 |  #8

Who knows, that page might be just a group of low talent photographers making fun of each others' work. ;-)a

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 10, 2015 10:41 |  #9

youareNOTaphtographer is a website that makes fun of bad photographers that are written by bad photographers

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 10, 2015 13:40 |  #10

Page is created by a bitter lonely person probably. sad.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 10, 2015 14:13 |  #11

Wow, im not sure where to start. Sharing the photos isn't a problem. Bashing them could warrant the owner to complain and get it taken down I guess. But get a life, dont they have anything better to do than to bash these people? Internet bullies. I do agree with some of the photos not being of any quality worth charging for, but isn't that between the person taking them and the person paying for them?

I am curious about the soldier/flag photo though... Although I agree that any use of the flag should abide by the rules of the flag as it is a symbol of our country, what does everyone else think about the flag being used in a photo session with a soldier?

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Mar 12, 2015 11:34 |  #12

saw this posted today

http://insider.foxnews​.com …inst-veteran-photographer (external link)

Jessi
flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 12, 2015 11:49 |  #13

wow...lol...yea it was on the Today Show today too. Suddenly all over my fb feed too!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by davidfarina.

Mar 12, 2015 11:57 |  #14

Holy. Who are they to judge others? They better stop that damn page and take real photographs instead of critising other...

Sad boys. That really shows how frustrated they are with not having success themselves with their photography...

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 12, 2015 14:21 |  #15

For the FB page in general, it is legal, within his rights of free speech, and totally without class. The "author" is a tool.

The photo... I love it.
I am well aware of what the flag code says. Screw it. This photo, and others like it that have popped up are wonderful expressions behind the real reason people serve. Not for the piece of cloth, but for the ideas the flag represents, and the people the child represents. This is my favorite baby photo ever.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links

4,100 views & 3 likes for this thread
Thoughts on this FB page
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.