Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 11 Mar 2015 (Wednesday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want to upgrade from 30D to a FF body. Is there a "right time" to buy?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2015 16:47 as a reply to  @ post 17472189 |  #16

Slightly better dynamic range, and noise - not a ton, but a difference.

this is on DXO - you may need to click a button to continue on this page

http://www.dxomark.com …-5D-Mark-II___836_795_483 (external link)

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 12, 2015 17:12 |  #17

noopi wrote in post #17472189 (external link)
I've actually played with several of them a few years ago, but I've never owned any myself. Not yet, at least. I've been in & out of photography for awhile, but I've gotten back into it again (hard) this time.

Also, is there a test/comparison somewhere that mentions that the 6D sensor is better than the 5D3's? I'd like to read about it. :)

Thanks!

The 6D and the 5D3 are very, very close. You would be REALLY hard pressed to say which was which for most shots. However, one can say that the 6D produces less noise and banding at the very highest ISOs. I say less. This isn't to say the 5D3 is incompetent at high ISO. The 6D also does a little better when pushing shadows too. As I mentioned previously the 6D has a more sensitive centre point for low light focusing. The 6D does enjoy a couple of advantages sensor-wise over the 5D3 but choosing one over while ignoring the remaining components/functionali​ties would be unwise. Look at all the features and decide which tool is best for the job.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2015 17:24 |  #18

nqjudo wrote in post #17472227 (external link)
The 6D and the 5D3 are very, very close. You would be REALLY hard pressed to say which was which for most shots. However, one can say that the 6D produces less noise and banding at the very highest ISOs. I say less. This isn't to say the 5D3 is incompetent at high ISO. The 6D also does a little better when pushing shadows too. As I mentioned previously the 6D has a more sensitive centre point for low light focusing. The 6D does enjoy a couple of advantages sensor-wise over the 5D3 but choosing one over while ignoring the remaining components/functionali​ties would be unwise. Look at all the features and decide which tool is best for the job.

Well damn. Now I'm torn again, haha. I don't really shoot any action/sports, and most of the pictures I have taken are landscapes/portraits/g​eneral photography. Hmm... I guess it makes more sense to go the 6D route to save money and put the savings towards new glass, but at the same time... the AF and 2x card slots. Bah.

My first legit camera is a Canon AE-1 Program, given to me as a birthday present from my best friend. And so my obsession begins...
Canon EOS-6D: 24-105mmL, 16-35mmL, 50mmL

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 12, 2015 18:26 |  #19

Doesn't sound like you need the AF, nor the 2x card slots. I was in your shoes not long ago, deciding between a great deal 6D vs great deal 5D3. Came to reality that 5D3 is a lust not a need, so picked up the 6D + 135mm L + flash, some filters, etc.

For me, photography is much more than just the body. Adding lenses and accessories made more of a dramatic change than upgrading bodies.

Some cameras, some lenses

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2015 19:30 |  #20

p00kienrayray wrote in post #17472317 (external link)
Doesn't sound like you need the AF, nor the 2x card slots. I was in your shoes not long ago, deciding between a great deal 6D vs great deal 5D3. Came to reality that 5D3 is a lust not a need, so picked up the 6D + 135mm L + flash, some filters, etc.

For me, photography is much more than just the body. Adding lenses and accessories made more of a dramatic change than upgrading bodies.

I'm looking on slickdeals and canonpricewatch and there's a deal for a 6D & 24-105L for ~1800. I think individually both of those cost 1300/1150 respectively? I think that deal ends 3/28, so I have some time to think this through a bit. I would very much like to start building my L-glass collection. ><

My first legit camera is a Canon AE-1 Program, given to me as a birthday present from my best friend. And so my obsession begins...

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,390 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Mar 12, 2015 19:38 |  #21

Disabuse yourself of the notion that going from APS-C to a 35mm sensor is an "upgrade". They are two different formats, each suited for their own particular strengths.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 6 years ago by p00kienrayray. (2 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2015 19:46 as a reply to  @ noopi's post |  #22

I know I've seen some deals where the 6D is bundled with like a printer or some other accessories. They rarely go on crazy sales with just the body alone. They pop up regularly like every week or so.

Here's an Ebay deal for a grey market body in case you want to go down that route. $1,283 no tax. There's no manufacturers warranty, but the store offers a 1 year warranty. And I've heard that Canon USA is pretty good at servicing grey market bodies via warranty. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
http://www.ebay.com …43?_trksid=p205​4897.l4275 (external link)

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 12, 2015 20:12 |  #23

noopi wrote in post #17472389 (external link)
I'm looking on slickdeals and canonpricewatch and there's a deal for a 6D & 24-105L for ~1800. I think individually both of those cost 1300/1150 respectively? I think that deal ends 3/28, so I have some time to think this through a bit. I would very much like to start building my L-glass collection. ><

That is a heck of a deal!

I know what you are going through. I was in the same boat you are in deciding between the 5DIII or the 6D. I actually had both Cameras in the shopping cart, ready to buy but I had to think really hard on what type of shooting I do most of the time. I ended up the the 6D with the 24-105 L Kit Lens. I made the right choice for me and no regrets, but it came very close going the other way...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 12, 2015 20:58 |  #24

noopi wrote in post #17472389 (external link)

Just realized you said $1300 for the body, which for a USA model, isnt too bad. The 24-105L used is worth around $500.

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2015 22:26 as a reply to  @ p00kienrayray's post |  #25

I think if I got the 6D, I'd just go with the 24-105L kit (http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …it-price.html?streetprice (external link)).

I'm still mulling it over though. -___-

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2015 22:51 |  #26

joedlh wrote in post #17472404 (external link)
Disabuse yourself of the notion that going from APS-C to a 35mm sensor is an "upgrade". They are two different formats, each suited for their own particular strengths.

Also, I'm not planning on getting rid of my 30D. Not yet at least. I should have mentioned that earlier. :P

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 12, 2015 23:34 |  #27

noopi wrote in post #17472589 (external link)
I think if I got the 6D, I'd just go with the 24-105L kit (http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …it-price.html?streetprice (external link)).

Well def take as much time as you can. You have until the end of the month before the deal is over, which by then another deal may be available.

Have you thought about buying used? I bought my 6D a couple months back from a photographer who barely used it as a back up body. It was pretty much new and included a Kirk plate. $1100 and this was before the drop in prices started.

Furlan
806 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 13, 2015 06:35 |  #28

Why throw away money go for the Ritz deal. You can buy a new 24-105 L lenses all day long for
as low as $500 a ton of them at $600. Great deal on E-Bay $1,283 gray market no tax what a deal.
Please folks read and do a little research you can save a ton of money.

michgirl
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 13, 2015 07:20 |  #29

For a very long time, I was on the fence about the 6D & 24-105mm. At that time, I had the 5D II which was such a good camera; but it was heavy and struggled with higher ISO. I hated to give it up due to the fantastic image quality, but finally made the jump. Not once have I regretted it.

This combo is the perfect weight for me, takes fantastic images and has so many capabilities. I rarely take this lens off because it is so very capable. I cannot say enough good things about this camera.

And I have seen it at some very great prices lately. You won't regret this purchase and should get many years of superb photography.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8 / EF 70-300mm II USM
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 6 years ago by noopi.

Mar 13, 2015 10:41 |  #30

Furlan wrote in post #17472905 (external link)
Why throw away money go for the Ritz deal. You can buy a new 24-105 L lenses all day long for
as low as $500 a ton of them at $600. Great deal on E-Bay $1,283 gray market no tax what a deal.
Please folks read and do a little research you can save a ton of money.

Okay, the Ebay deal you mention is $1,283 for the body only right? If the lens is between $500-$600, then the total for both body & lens would be the same as the kit I linked, no? Or am I missing something? Can you please provide links?

sponsored links

6,009 views & 2 likes for this thread
Want to upgrade from 30D to a FF body. Is there a "right time" to buy?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.