Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 12 Mar 2015 (Thursday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

looking to buy a basic tripod

RhodyPhotos
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 12, 2015 14:43 |  #1

Hi All,

I have a canon 60d with a 70-200 f/4. Wondering if the following tripod will be stable enough for my arrangement.

http://www.amazon.com …&sr=8-1&keywords=MK393-HM (external link)

Thanks in advance,

CC always welcome.

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 6 years ago by SkipD. (2 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2015 16:13 |  #2

smallick wrote in post #17472048 (external link)
I have a canon 60d with a 70-200 f/4. Wondering if the following tripod will be stable enough for my arrangement.

I don't have any experience with that tripod, but I seriously doubt that it would hold your rig stable enough to do much good. Bear in mind that the "load capacity" figure for any tripod is a rather useless number. The number does not say anything about rigidity. In addition, there is no standard test that manufacturers use to arrive at that number.

As a rule of thumb, a tripod/head combination MIGHT be stable enough if the "load capacity" number is about three to five times the weight of the heaviest equipment you want to use on it. I stress the MIGHT part, though.

A lightweight tripod that would be truly stable with the kind of load you have would probably be very expensive.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 12, 2015 16:20 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #3

I was afraid of that. Do you have any suggestions of what would be a good and relatively low-cost tripod that I could use?

Thank you very much

CC always welcome.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 12, 2015 16:27 |  #4

MeFoto makes nice ones, I have the road trip as hiking/travel pod, very happy with it.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 12, 2015 16:42 |  #5

smallick wrote in post #17472168 (external link)
I was afraid of that. Do you have any suggestions of what would be a good and relatively low-cost tripod that I could use?

What is your budget?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 12, 2015 20:07 |  #6

The Feisol Tournament tripods would do a nice job. They are not cheap but I would advise against going for lesser tripods as it's more expensive in the long run. I have used both models and prefer the 3 leg section version (CT3342) but they are both good.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 12, 2015 21:18 |  #7

That looks like my first tripod. It will work for your combo. I hated the head on it and eventually sold it.

Look for one that has a ball head. Arca-Swiss compatible even better.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 13, 2015 02:20 |  #8

SkipD wrote in post #17472200 (external link)
What is your budget?

I was hoping not to have to spend more than $100.

johnf3f wrote in post #17472435 (external link)
The Feisol Tournament tripods would do a nice job. They are not cheap but I would advise against going for lesser tripods as it's more expensive in the long run. I have used both models and prefer the 3 leg section version (CT3342) but they are both good.

That completely rules out these beautiful tripods :(

crbinson wrote in post #17472515 (external link)
That looks like my first tripod. It will work for your combo. I hated the head on it and eventually sold it.

Look for one that has a ball head. Arca-Swiss compatible even better.

Maybe, I should look for a tripod which comes with a ball head. I did want to get a name brand one. But, I have no idea what are the other name brands out there, other than Manfrotto.

Thanks once again.

CC always welcome.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 13, 2015 03:26 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Your budget is way too low to buy you anything decent. I paid ~$100 for my ball head alone, and it wasn't even the top Manfrotto model.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 13, 2015 03:30 |  #10

I've tried to avoid spending more than $100 on a tripod for almost 5 years between my daughter and myself. In that period I've tried 6 different "well reviewed" budget models. Depending on your needs they run from acceptable to junk. But if you are unable to spend any more, I suggest you avoid cheap ballheads and go with a traditional pan head. It seems it's much more difficult (and expensive) to make a decent ballhead than a decent pan head. All the cheap ballheads I've tried flex when tightening the ball, and most of them droop.

I'd also suggest that, if possible, you should go to a camera store with a wide selection of tripods in your price range and spend time testing them all out.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 13, 2015 07:05 |  #11

Alveric wrote in post #17472787 (external link)
Your budget is way too low to buy you anything decent. I paid ~$100 for my ball head alone, and it wasn't even the top Manfrotto model.

I have to sadly admit the truth in your statement.

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17472790 (external link)
I've tried to avoid spending more than $100 on a tripod for almost 5 years between my daughter and myself. In that period I've tried 6 different "well reviewed" budget models. Depending on your needs they run from acceptable to junk. But if you are unable to spend any more, I suggest you avoid cheap ballheads and go with a traditional pan head. It seems it's much more difficult (and expensive) to make a decent ballhead than a decent pan head. All the cheap ballheads I've tried flex when tightening the ball, and most of them droop.

I'd also suggest that, if possible, you should go to a camera store with a wide selection of tripods in your price range and spend time testing them all out.

This is a great idea. Let me look around and see if i can find a good camera store around here.

Thanks everyone for your input

CC always welcome.

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 13, 2015 07:58 |  #12

Start looking for used gear as well. I don't use the tripod a ton, since most of my shots are candid shots of the family, but I wanted something decent for when I needed it. I got a manfrotto 3021 with a bogen pan head for $80 on ebay.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by peter_n.

Mar 13, 2015 08:53 |  #13

Take a look at POTN's tripod FAQ. Check out the reviews section where you should be able to look at details of construction. Strongly consider buying a good used tripod, also read Thom Hogan's classic article (external link); the equipment is a bit out of date now but the principle remains. If you follow Thom's advice you'll save yourself a lot of money.

~Peter

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 13, 2015 12:59 |  #14

Qlayer2 wrote in post #17472965 (external link)
Start looking for used gear as well. I don't use the tripod a ton, since most of my shots are candid shots of the family, but I wanted something decent for when I needed it. I got a manfrotto 3021 with a bogen pan head for $80 on ebay.

peter_n wrote in post #17473045 (external link)
Take a look at POTN's tripod FAQ. Check out the reviews section where you should be able to look at details of construction. Strongly consider buying a good used tripod, also read Thom Hogan's classic article (external link); the equipment is a bit out of date now but the principle remains. If you follow Thom's advice you'll save yourself a lot of money.

This article is great. Thanks for sharing it. I shall look for a used tripod, to start.

CC always welcome.

sponsored links

2,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
looking to buy a basic tripod
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.