Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Mar 2015 (Friday) 13:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Everyone teaches...

Buick ­ M
81 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 13, 2015 13:50 |  #1

I'm fairly new to photography, and one of the things that has struck me as odd is that a lot of people "teach" these seminars or workshops. I can't think of any other field that has most everyone, regardless of skill level, teaching.
Is it a monetary thing? do people teach because there's not alot of money in taking pictures?
Also, seems like most of the big name "pros" do it.

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 13, 2015 14:11 |  #2

You've answered all your own questions... yes, there is no money to be made or very little, so it forced photographers to "diversify" into workshops. PS actions, training videos, etc.. in order to make income.

It's been the existing "solution" to the issue that people just don't pay for photography like they used to.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,718 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 13, 2015 15:00 |  #3

Have you ever noticed all of these tycoons in real estate or whatever are teaching others how to do it, too? If one thinks about it, the fact that are teaching so much means they probably make more money teaching those travelling shows than practicing what they preach. Or that travelling teaching gig nets them so much money, as a percentage of their total income, that they cannot live on what they are teaching about, alone?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Buick ­ M
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 13, 2015 15:24 |  #4

I thought I was being too cynical by thinking that it was a money thing.
Wilt, that sounds about right...those guys say that they are rich and want to teach you how to get rich but they are actually getting rich by "teaching" you how yo get rich...my head hurts!

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 13, 2015 15:29 |  #5

Buick M wrote in post #17473603 (external link)
I thought I was being too cynical by thinking that it was a money thing.
Wilt, that sounds about right...those guys say that they are rich and want to teach you how to get rich but they are actually getting rich by "teaching" you how yo get rich...my head hurts!

Send me a dollar and you'll get my secret to riches!
Send 25 people letters asking for a dollar.  :p

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by WaltA.

Mar 13, 2015 16:50 |  #6

Funny .. back in the old days there was a saying that went "Those that know do... those that don't know teach".

Looks like that cliche is flipped on its head.

From the Free Dictionary - allegedly attributed to George Bernard Shaw
===============
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

Prov. People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching. (Used to disparage teachers. From George Bernard Shaw's Man and Superman.) Bob: I'm so discouraged. My writing teacher told me my novel is hopeless. Jane: Don't listen to her, Bob. Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
===============

Somebody else said something close that may be more applicable to the photography business
===============

Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach.

Aristotle
===============

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Buick ­ M
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 13, 2015 17:21 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #7

That would have been a good tittle for this thread!

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 13, 2015 18:10 |  #8

Buick M wrote in post #17473766 (external link)
That would have been a good tittle for this thread!

I'm sure you meant to say title, right?

Walt

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,358 posts
Gallery: 433 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 13, 2015 18:17 |  #9

WaltA wrote in post #17473724 (external link)
Funny .. back in the old days there was a saying that went "Those that know do... those that don't know teach".

Looks like that cliche is flipped on its head.

From the Free Dictionary - allegedly attributed to George Bernard Shaw
===============
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

Prov. People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching. (Used to disparage teachers. From George Bernard Shaw's Man and Superman.) Bob: I'm so discouraged. My writing teacher told me my novel is hopeless. Jane: Don't listen to her, Bob. Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
===============

Somebody else said something close that may be more applicable to the photography business
===============

Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach.

Aristotle
===============

Except for the quote of Aristotle, no wonder teachers are looked at like they are the scourge of society.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,718 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt.

Mar 13, 2015 18:22 |  #10

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17473840 (external link)
Except for the quote of Aristotle, no wonder teachers are looked at like they are the scourge of society.

Only in the USA...elsewhere they are paid a reasonable salary and are in greater esteem, whereas in the US we look down on many in spite of the fact they teach our kids, who have to one day care for us in old age!

Professor of Medicine is a great title in stature than ordinary Doctor of Medicine in Germany, for example.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by WaltA. (2 edits in all)

Mar 13, 2015 18:25 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #11

Actually, my Google search originally had that first quote from a teachers website - saying "how rude is that". And there was a big discussion about how teachers don't deserve that kind of treatment.

But for my generation (boomers) it was a true statement.

Having said that, I think the original statement was about consultants or home based teachers - not teachers in the educational system.

Walt

Buick ­ M
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 13, 2015 18:39 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #12

I'm sure you meant to say title, right?

Ha! yes

Buick ­ M
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 13, 2015 18:50 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #13

I meant the guy or gal that started a facebook photography page and 6 months later they are teaching seminars and workshops.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that at all...well for the most part...its just that you only see this phenomena in photography.
I mean you don't see doctors, lawyers, plumbers or carpenters putting out seminars every weekend and teaching everything from the basics to "advanced"...to potential "competitors", mind you. :)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by mike_d.

Mar 13, 2015 19:07 |  #14

Buick M wrote in post #17473895 (external link)
I meant the guy or gal that started a facebook photography page and 6 months later they are teaching seminars and workshops.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that at all...well for the most part...its just that you only see this phenomena in photography.
I mean you don't see doctors, lawyers, plumbers or carpenters putting out seminars every weekend and teaching everything from the basics to "advanced"...to potential "competitors", mind you. :)

Well you need a license to practice law, medicine, or work as a contractor so its a little different. And doctors do teach others in their field more advanced techniques they've developed.

There's a huge number of people who want to take better pictures but don't know how. As long as the teacher is more advanced than the student, there's something to be learned. The guy who just wants better pictures of his kids isn't likely to create competition for the teacher.

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 13, 2015 19:09 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #17473577 (external link)
Have you ever noticed all of these tycoons in real estate or whatever are teaching others how to do it, too? If one thinks about it, the fact that are teaching so much means they probably make more money teaching those travelling shows than practicing what they preach. Or that travelling teaching gig nets them so much money, as a percentage of their total income, that they cannot live on what they are teaching about, alone?!

I heard radio ads for "work at home" or "income at home" and I checked them out. You basically buy into the system to teach others to buy into the system. The system itself is the product.

--
John

sponsored links

4,554 views & 3 likes for this thread
Everyone teaches...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.