Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 07 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 01:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MacBook Air 13" 1.4 with 4gn ram

danialsturge
893 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Mar 13, 2015 05:32 |  #16

Lyn2011 wrote in post #17472606 (external link)
No, but the 2014 models have the same display I suppose.

I was talking about this MacBook, the ones with Retina displays:

http://www.apple.com/u​k/macbook/ (external link)

X100T | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Lyn2011
565 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 13, 2015 20:35 as a reply to  @ danialsturge's post |  #17

On the internet they say it's in the Apple shop already, that is in Australia.

danialsturge
893 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Mar 14, 2015 05:39 |  #18

Lyn2011 wrote in post #17474040 (external link)
On the internet they say it's in the Apple shop already, that is in Australia.

Oh right! That's cool, I'm looking forward to having a play.

X100T | flickr (external link)

Fabercula
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 14, 2015 22:56 |  #19

Echo63 wrote in post #17471075 (external link)
I have a 2yr old 11" air with 8gb of ram as my main editing machine - it is with me all the time, and happily handles 24mp raw files from my Leica.

My advice, is get the extra ram - sure its a bit more money, but in the long run, it will save you time, and save you from upgrading quite so soon.
The RAM is soldered in, so it has to be upgraded at time of purchase, it cant be done later on

Also - the 11" air is a little too small to edit on, but works well plugged into an external screen.

I bought mine as i really wanted the small size and portability - i do use a 13" MBP when i have to go through a bunch of images quickly (sporting matches etc)

Hi,

You mean the extra ram, from 4gb to 8gb, would let me save time in editing or save money for future upgrade in computer?
I'm not a pro, so I am not lookinf at whether it saves 1 or 2 seconds.
My editing is not very hard: I use iPhoto and Aperture, sometimes Pixelmator.
I like HDRs so I use two Apps for that, Darkroom and Scarscraper.
So, does the 11" fit my needs? I think so.
Are 4gb ram enough for me? I tried a Mecbook Air in an Apple Store last week and it worked just fine even with only 4gb.

Now I have an old iMac 2007, there must be somewhat difference with a basic new MacBook Air.

You see, all I save I can pile up for a 100mm L macro lens that I've been plannning to buy for nearly one year.

Thank you everybody,

Fabrizio

Nikon D750 - Nikon D7200 - Nikon S33 - Olympus Om10 Mark II
Nikkor, Sigma, Zuiko and PanaLeica lenses.

Lyn2011
565 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 15, 2015 02:30 |  #20

I've a bit the same question as Fabrizio, with this added:

how much ram do I need when I install Windows too on Macbook Air (or Pro)?
and can the macbook Air cope with Photoshop or Lightroom?

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 15, 2015 03:19 |  #21

If you are expecting the Air to last for several years, which it will, you never know what new applications you will want to use and how hungry they will be. 8gb has to be the answer. 4 gb might do now but not in a couple of years time. Sure you can get by with 4, but not a wise decision IMHO

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 15, 2015 04:44 |  #22

Fabercula wrote in post #17475396 (external link)
Hi,

You mean the extra ram, from 4gb to 8gb, would let me save time in editing or save money for future upgrade in computer?
I'm not a pro, so I am not lookinf at whether it saves 1 or 2 seconds.
My editing is not very hard: I use iPhoto and Aperture, sometimes Pixelmator.
I like HDRs so I use two Apps for that, Darkroom and Scarscraper.
So, does the 11" fit my needs? I think so.
Are 4gb ram enough for me? I tried a Mecbook Air in an Apple Store last week and it worked just fine even with only 4gb.

Now I have an old iMac 2007, there must be somewhat difference with a basic new MacBook Air.

You see, all I save I can pile up for a 100mm L macro lens that I've been plannning to buy for nearly one year.

Thank you everybody,

Fabrizio

Plumtreelad's advice is solid - put the macro lens off a little longer, spend the little bit extra on upgrading the RAM, and it will extend the useful life of your machine.
my Mid 2012 2ghz I7 with 8gb of Ram is still going strong - i will replace it later in the year or early next year, and then it will be handed down to my wife (she is still using my late 2008 Macbook (the first unibody aluminium one))

Plumtreelad wrote in post #17475563 (external link)
If you are expecting the Air to last for several years, which it will, you never know what new applications you will want to use and how hungry they will be. 8gb has to be the answer. 4 gb might do now but not in a couple of years time. Sure you can get by with 4, but not a wise decision IMHO

Good Advice !
spending the little bit extra future proofs the machine - and it needs to be done at time of purchase, because it cannot be done later on

Lyn2011 wrote in post #17475548 (external link)
I've a bit the same question as Fabrizio, with this added:

how much ram do I need when I install Windows too on Macbook Air (or Pro)?
and can the macbook Air cope with Photoshop or Lightroom?

No idea on Windows, i don't use it on my computer (I haven't owned a windows machine for 7 years - although i do have a windows tablet on its way to me, simply because its almost pocket sized, has a built in Wacom tablet and runs full photoshop - so i can use it for quickly filing pics on the go at work)

and yes the macbook can cope with PS and LR - i use mine for most of my editing - all of my 24mp Leica raw files are processed on my MBA 11" using lightroom, and i use PS for pixel level editing, and stitching small panoramas (3-20 24mp files)
i use my MBA for editing work pics too - sitting in the car or a cafe sending a few JPG from the 1DX (minimal editing, typically just open 4-5, caption, crop, tone and send - not really demanding at all, i just use it because the MBA weighs 1100g and i can easily take it anywhere)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Lyn2011
565 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 16, 2015 04:09 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #23

Thanks for your info Echo63. I'm thinking about the macbook Air 13".
Is the display of het macbook Air as good as the macbook Pro? I understand that the Pro has a IPS display.

Fabercula
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 18, 2015 18:16 |  #24

Yesterday I went trying the new model of MacBool Air 11"; for what it's worth, it works fine.

Nikon D750 - Nikon D7200 - Nikon S33 - Olympus Om10 Mark II
Nikkor, Sigma, Zuiko and PanaLeica lenses.

sponsored links

4,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
MacBook Air 13" 1.4 with 4gn ram
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.