Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New laptop very slow with LR/PS

Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 14, 2015 20:09 |  #16

Scooter650 wrote in post #17475240 (external link)
It is an Asus ASQ501LAT19 with an Intel Core i5 4200u processor.

That is the biggest problem, you have a dual core processor that runs at 1.6ghz, with a max turbo boost of 2.3ghz, a speed it will only run at for a very short time.
The processor was designed for basic computing tasks, web browsing, checking email etc.
It is simply not capable of managing the demands of a processor intensive program like Lightroom.

The slow Hard Drive will be contributing to the slow performance, but replacing it with a faster one won't solve all your problems.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 14, 2015 20:55 |  #17

That's two cores, four threads. Overall performance is about 1/3 of what my 3 year old desktop i7 processsor is, but should be fine.

Do this (external link) to reduce CPU use. Then do this (external link). Once you have, reboot, then post the performance tab and details/processes tab again.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,482 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 6 years ago by Bob_A.

Mar 14, 2015 23:21 as a reply to  @ post 17475240 |  #18

My Surface Pro 2 has a i5 4300 and 8GB RAM and IMO is a bit too slow for running Photoshop or LR. It's ok for very simple edits, but things like content aware healing brush in PS or Spot Removal brush in LR are a bit laggy.

You'd need a well spec'd desktop for PS CS6 (or CC) or LR 5.x to work seamlessly with no lag. Any laptop is going to be a bit of a compromise.

However, it should be a lot faster than a 4 year old i3 with 3GB RAM ... unless you were running CS4 or 5 and LR4 on the old desktop and CS6 or CC and LR 5.x on the new laptop. If you upgraded to CC and LR5 at the same time you bought the new laptop that would explain to me why you see a performance difference.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Scooter650
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2015 11:26 |  #19

tim wrote in post #17475292 (external link)
That's two cores, four threads. Overall performance is about 1/3 of what my 3 year old desktop i7 processsor is, but should be fine.

Do this (external link) to reduce CPU use. Then do this (external link). Once you have, reboot, then post the performance tab and details/processes tab again.

Did it all, seems to work off and on, everything jumps around so much.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Scott I S2Imagery (external link) I Flickr (external link) I Facebook (external link) I 5DII, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.4

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,482 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 15, 2015 12:11 as a reply to  @ Scooter650's post |  #20

Looks strange. I can't even find "Windows Modules Installer Worker" in my list, and would have thought it would only be there when Windows is doing updates. All of my "Service Host:" entries show as 0% CPU.

Bob

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,482 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 6 years ago by Bob_A. (2 edits in all)

Mar 15, 2015 12:17 |  #21

Try this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Other than that the only other thing I'd try is setting automatic updates to Manual, although that's not a particularly great solution. When you go into Windows Update does it show updates that it's trying to install?

Bob

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2015 13:09 |  #22

Having similar issues with a Samsung NP355V5C - Quad Core AMD A8 with 8GB Ram and 1TB HD run Win 8. Has always run slowly, but if I try to use LR5 and PS CC they quickly start to hang for a couple minutes at a time. I'm following this thread and will work through some of the suggestions as well. Thanks to everyone who is helping.

Dale

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 15, 2015 13:34 |  #23

Something isn't right with your windows install. You can google the names of those top two processes along with "high cpu" to see if you can take it down. While 15% of CPU doesn't sound high that's a core, and it's taking memory bandwidth and disk too.

If you can't reduce it I suggest you do a clean install of windows. Make sure to deactivate your Photoshop license first, and back up anything on your operating system disk just in case.

I'm still interested in seeing the performance tab.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Moppie
15,051 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 15, 2015 16:24 |  #24

The CPU runs at a rather slow base speed 1.6ghz, I doubt it has enough cooling to ever get it's maximum turbo boost speed of 2.3ghz, and I doubt it can sustain speeds faster than 2ghz for more than a few seconds at a time.

This means it is more than a 1/3 slower than an i7 desktop, it has more like 1/10 the performance.

You can try and adjust all the settings you want, and do all the re-installs you want, nothing will make a very basic and low performance CPU perform better.

flickr (external link)

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

Moppie
15,051 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 15, 2015 16:26 |  #25

Spats139 wrote in post #17476075 (external link)
Having similar issues with a Samsung NP355V5C - Quad Core AMD A8 with 8GB Ram and 1TB HD run Win 8.

Unfortunately you have the same problem, a slow and in this case, outdated CPU. It is not a true quad core, runs at relatively low clock speeds, and is simply not designed for heavy lifting.
It compares to an entry level mobile i3 CPU in terms of performance.

flickr (external link)

Scooter650
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2015 20:10 |  #26

Well guys, I can say I have learned an immense amount in the past few days! At least I got a great deal on it. I'll do a fresh install this week when I have some time, and then report back so others can learn.

Thank you all!

Scott I S2Imagery (external link) I Flickr (external link) I Facebook (external link) I 5DII, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.4

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 15, 2015 20:11 |  #27

Before you do the fresh install Google to see if you can disable the services taking CPU. You might find it's exactly the same otherwise, especially with a new laptop.

Spats139
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2015 20:53 |  #28

Moppie wrote in post #17476315 (external link)
Unfortunately you have the same problem, a slow and in this case, outdated CPU. It is not a true quad core, runs at relatively low clock speeds, and is simply not designed for heavy lifting.
It compares to an entry level mobile i3 CPU in terms of performance.

Thanks Moppie. Is the CPU something that can be changed in a laptop similar to a desktop system, or would it just be more feasible to sell it and buy something that's more up-to-date?

Dale

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 15, 2015 20:54 |  #29

Spats139 wrote in post #17476647 (external link)
Thanks Moppie. Is the CPU something that can be changed in a laptop similar to a desktop system, or would it just be more feasible to sell it and buy something that's more up-to-date?

Laptops are generally not upgradable, other than disk. If a desktop will fit your working style/situation they tend to be half the price and twice as fast.

Spats139
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2015 20:58 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #30

Thanks tim, I was thinking that might be the case. I have a reasonably robust desktop system that handles all my Lr and Ps tasks; I only use the laptop when travelling or attending workshops, so I don't really have any reason to replace it right now.

Dale

sponsored links

9,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
New laptop very slow with LR/PS
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.