Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New laptop very slow with LR/PS

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 15, 2015 20:59 |  #31

Do what I suggested above then - diagnostics :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
Scooter650
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 16, 2015 10:11 |  #32

tim wrote in post #17476600 (external link)
Before you do the fresh install Google to see if you can disable the services taking CPU. You might find it's exactly the same otherwise, especially with a new laptop.

I did all of that, you can disable them but when you reboot they are back and running. I think I have messed around with it enough to optimize it, and I'm in no real hurry to do it. My main machine is a desktop but when I am at the studio or travelling I like to be able to do some editing.

Scott I S2Imagery (external link) I Flickr (external link) I Facebook (external link) I 5DII, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.4

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 16, 2015 13:14 |  #33

Did you stop the services, set them to manual, or disable them? Disable is probably the best choice. If they're started anyway it'll be some kind of service chain, another service starting them up, see if you can work out what's doing it and uninstall/stop.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Keema
247 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2015 00:57 |  #34

Hi Sorry to ask on Scooters thread.

I may have the same problem as what Scooter is experiencing though my laptop is using an 2nd gen i7 and not brand new.

Here is the laptop's specifications:

Laptop: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
Processor: 2.2GHz i7 (i think 2nd gen.)
Memory: 16 gig 1600 MHz
Graphics: HD 3000
Hardisk: 240gigs SSD Kingston hyperX

Here is what i notice when I am using photoshop CS6:

When I am using the brush tool and applied it on my image it will take some time before you can see the results. And most of the time it hangs that I need to get out from the brush tool and go to any other tools, like the move tool, so that it will get out from the hang state and click again the brush tool.

I am happy to do again a fresh installation of the O.S. but before going to that, as a last resort, is there any other things/tweaks that I need to do or check?

Thanks,
Christian

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,473 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Bob_A. (2 edits in all)

Apr 09, 2015 08:26 |  #35

Keema wrote in post #17510257 (external link)
Hi Sorry to ask on Scooters thread.

I may have the same problem as what Scooter is experiencing though my laptop is using an 2nd gen i7 and not brand new.

Here is the laptop's specifications:

Laptop: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
Processor: 2.2GHz i7 (i think 2nd gen.)
Memory: 16 gig 1600 MHz
Graphics: HD 3000
Hardisk: 240gigs SSD Kingston hyperX

Here is what i notice when I am using photoshop CS6:

When I am using the brush tool and applied it on my image it will take some time before you can see the results. And most of the time it hangs that I need to get out from the brush tool and go to any other tools, like the move tool, so that it will get out from the hang state and click again the brush tool.

I am happy to do again a fresh installation of the O.S. but before going to that, as a last resort, is there any other things/tweaks that I need to do or check?

Thanks,
Christian

This is pretty normal with a 2.2 GHz i7 processor. CS6 works well for most things except for calculation intensive operations like brush tools and content aware healing. See my earlier post (#11).

You could get away with a less powerful machine with CS5.

Adobe seems to have improved some of the speed issues, particularly with LR5, with some of the updates so also make sure you are running the latest version.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

ChibiM
162 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 09, 2015 08:28 |  #36

Before you forget, you should check what Power Management settings you are running on your laptop!
Some laptops try to save energy in certain power management settings.
(usually called Power Saving).

If you want to be able to run everything at 100%, you should check "High Performance".

here is a short guide to edit these settings.

http://www.howtogeek.c​om …-7-manage-power-settings/ (external link)

Eos M, 5DII, and some lenses.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 09, 2015 14:56 |  #37

Follow the instruction I posted on the first page (I think it was this thread) that will help diagnose the problem. An i7 with SSD, even a laptop, should be ok.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,473 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Bob_A.

Apr 09, 2015 18:44 |  #38

tim wrote in post #17510992 (external link)
Follow the instruction I posted on the first page (I think it was this thread) that will help diagnose the problem. An i7 with SSD, even a laptop, should be ok.

A 2.2 GHz one really isn't ok for these operations Tim, not for CS6 anyway. You need closer to a 4 GHz i7 processor before brush lag becomes unnoticeable, especially for larger files. CS6 isn't unusable with a 2.2 GHz processor, it's just that lag is normal (brush an area with content aware spot healing brush and sometimes the result won't appear for 1 or more seconds).

I can say that with an i7 4770K slightly o/c'd to about 4.2 GHz (32 GB RAM ... not that it matters much) that I've never seen any brush lag, but on a i7 930 slightly o/c'd to 3.2 GHz (12 GB RAM) brush lag was significant for certain files. Both use SSDs, both tweaked and optimized the same way for LR and Photoshop. The i7 930 machine could easily handle LR4 and CS5 with zero lag.

Bob

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 09, 2015 20:58 |  #39

Clock speed is only somewhat relevant to computer system performance. At works it should be around half the speed/double the lag of a 4GHz processor.

Keema
247 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2015 21:08 |  #40

tim wrote in post #17510992 (external link)

@Tim,

I saw the link that you have posted. But, I think it's for windows type o.s.

How about for mac (osx) o.s.?

Thanks,
Christian

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,473 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 09, 2015 21:44 |  #41

tim wrote in post #17511365 (external link)
Clock speed is only somewhat relevant to computer system performance. At works it should be around half the speed/double the lag of a 4GHz processor.

Sorry Tim, I know what you are saying but CPU type/speed makes a big difference with CS6. I've tried it on 4 different computers, 1 being a Mac and it proves out. RAM makes much less of a difference once you have at least 8 GB.

Bob

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 09, 2015 21:50 |  #42

Keema wrote in post #17511378 (external link)
@Tim,

I saw the link that you have posted. But, I think it's for windows type o.s.

How about for mac (osx) o.s.?

No idea, I don't know mac's sorry.

sponsored links

9,302 views & 0 likes for this thread
New laptop very slow with LR/PS
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.