Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "TYPE YOUR QUESTION HERE"
I've never had focusing problems with my 7D2
61.5%
I've had focusing problems with a 7D2 that definitely weren't my fault
25.6%
I used to think there was a problem, but actually there's a learning curve
12.8%

78 voters, 78 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poll: 7D Mark II Focusing

Jack ­ Dawe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,794 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 19, 2015 17:49 |  #16

Thanks. Yes, I'm going to forget it, at least until there is reasonable evidence that the 7D2's reliability has improved. With my 40D low light levels can sometimes make winter bird photography a bit of a pain, but at least that is a stable and predictable factor. Pity. I really do fancy the 7D2's better noise handling and higher ISOs, but the risk of getting a dodgy body seems just too high. Thanks to all those who voted on the poll.

Canon 7D2 · 50 f/1.8 · 17-55 f/2.8 IS · 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM · 100 f/2.8 Macro · 100-400 L IS II
Picture editing is OK. CC always welcome.

sponsored links
Dickster72
30 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Dickster72.

Mar 21, 2015 03:25 |  #17

Hi friend , I see your from the uk too. I also was considering the 7d mk2 .
This was an upgrade to suit the 100-400mk2 lens I've bought.
Three or four times I have been on the brink of buying one but backed off due to what I've read on here.
Not sure where your actually from but I am from Cannock so only a stones throw from the NEC , the Photography Show is on today till Monday,
I intend to ask some questions on the Canon stand to try and see what's going on!
If you can't make it to the show give me some "ammo" to fire at them tomorrow and I will post the answers on here in the evening.
I really want the upgrade but not prepared to take pot luck on a good body at this price.

Hope this is of interest . Paul.

colintf
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 21, 2015 03:50 |  #18

Dickster72 wrote in post #17484903 (external link)
Three or four times I have been on the brink of buying one but backed off due to what I've read on here.
Not sure where your actually from but I am from Cannock so only a stones throw from the NEC , the Photography Show is on today till Monday,
I intend to ask some questions on the Canon stand to try and see what's going on!
If you can't make it to the show give me some "ammo" to fire at them tomorrow and I will post the answers on here in the evening.
I really want the upgrade but not prepared to take pot luck on a good body at this price.

It will be interesting to see what they say

Dickster72
30 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 21, 2015 03:57 |  #19

I will take this iPad and show them that there is the 2500 or so posts about it on here too!
Don't get me wrong , I am not some vigilante type.
I really want to get this camera body , I just don't want a dud!

colintf
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 21, 2015 07:03 |  #20

Dickster72 wrote in post #17484917 (external link)
I will take this iPad and show them that there is the 2500 or so posts about it on here too!

It's put me off buying one that's for sure :-(

fwampler
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 21, 2015 07:34 |  #21

huntersdad wrote in post #17477145 (external link)
Never could time it right. They tended to be too slow in responding, by which time I had returned the camera. Once I got the one that worked, it was night and day difference from the start. I think the bad batch that was/is out there has probably been cycled through now and the ones available now are good to go.

It's a very, very good camera once you do your part in learning it. Very pleased with mine.

I preordered mine from B&H so got it early on. No focus problems at all. Canon really came through for us with this one.

fwampler
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 21, 2015 07:41 |  #22

colintf wrote in post #17485002 (external link)

Canon is quite good about covering any problems you may have. Shouldn't be a worry. If you don't come from the 7D it may take awhile to learn the best way to use the focus system.

3jc
294 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 21, 2015 07:49 |  #23

I would buy the 7D Mark II in a heart beat if I knew that I would get a good one! From the looks of this poll, there is a 44% chance that I will have to spend a lot of time doing quality control tests for Canon and possibly camera swaps to "find a good one".:rolleyes: It looks like I am on hold for now. :rolleyes:

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,466 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 21, 2015 10:08 |  #24

Dickster72 wrote in post #17484917 (external link)

colintf wrote in post #17485002 (external link)

If you want it/need it and you don't buy it, then you've got a dud.

If there is a chance (say 0.1%, 1%, 10%) that is a dud then chances are (99.9%, 99%, 90%) that it will not be a dud.

If you return it and get another one, the chances improve dramatically...

Also, chances are that it was a bad batch, not a design flaw (since the majority of the people have cameras that are ok). Saw as time puts more distance between your purchase and the bad batch, your probabilities for a good one improve.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

colintf
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 21, 2015 10:21 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #25

I'll stick with 5d3s and crop a little when needed instead :-)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,466 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by MakisM1.

Mar 21, 2015 12:06 |  #26

colintf wrote in post #17485172 (external link)
I'll stick with 5d3s and crop a little when needed instead :-)

Absolutely! :-D Just try to crop 10FPS and when you manage it, let me know, so I can do it on mine too... ;-)a

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

colintf
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by colintf.

Mar 21, 2015 12:16 |  #27

MakisM1 wrote in post #17485330 (external link)
Absolutely! :-D Just try to crop 10FPS and when you manage it, let me know, so I can do it on mine too... ;-)a

I don't need 10 FPS ;-)a

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,896 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by nqjudo.

Mar 21, 2015 13:20 |  #28

colintf wrote in post #17485341 (external link)
I don't need 10 FPS ;-)a

And you don't need to try to hijack an interesting thread with irrelevant or inflammatory comments either. I shoot a 5D3 and a 7D2. Depending on where you stand one can be considered superior to the other. What's next? Your dad can beat up my dad? Let's stick to the issue.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 21, 2015 14:55 |  #29

MakisM1 wrote in post #17485159 (external link)
If you return it and get another one, the chances improve dramatically...

The chances are the same actually.

Jack ­ Dawe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,794 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 22, 2015 02:28 |  #30

Dickster72 wrote in post #17484903 (external link)

Hi Dickster72, I'm sorry not to have replied sooner, but I was busy with other things yesterday. Thanks very much for your offer. To be honest, I haven't really got any ammo but I'm sure my concerns will be exactly the same as yours and I, too, would be very interested to hear what Canon have to say. I do think they need to explain why so many experienced photographers (and these include some people who are well used to the 5D MkIII) have only been able to obtain reliably sharp shots with a 7D2 after returning one or more bodies. It doesn't seem credible that it's all be down to user error, or just the odd dud body here and there.

Canon 7D2 · 50 f/1.8 · 17-55 f/2.8 IS · 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM · 100 f/2.8 Macro · 100-400 L IS II
Picture editing is OK. CC always welcome.

sponsored links

17,648 views & 9 likes for this thread
Poll: 7D Mark II Focusing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.