Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 13 Mar 2015 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how does black rapid strap not come off by accident?

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,770 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 16, 2015 07:05 |  #16

Charlie wrote in post #17473942 (external link)
it's a poor design, that's why they've started to make safety catches. I'm guessing a lot of BR users constantly check connections to avoid disaster. I do see those guys constantly fiddle with the strap, whether it's to check connection or to prevent it from swinging all over the place.

This is just comical. This sounds like a regurgitation of something read or seen elsewhere and not an owner response.

It's hardly a poor design. I use the BR Sport. It holds the camera securely and it's really comfortable when you have a heavy kit. And it doesn't 'swing all over the place' any more than any other strap.

Buy one, it's a great strap.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

sponsored links
johnvanr
51 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 16, 2015 07:17 |  #17

There are reports of the clamps getting loose. That's why they sell a protector. Myself, I'm fine using the Yeti for bird photography, where I have breaks to check that everything is still tight and I have space to move with two cameras on my side. When photographing a parade with a crowd, I'd prefer normal straps that I don't have to check and where my cameras have less leeway to bump into little children's heads.

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 16, 2015 08:50 as a reply to  @ johnvanr's post |  #18

I'm gonna start a poll about BlackRapids and see if we can gather direct feedback.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 16, 2015 09:15 |  #19

saea501 wrote in post #17477142 (external link)
This is just comical. This sounds like a regurgitation of something read or seen elsewhere and not an owner response.

It's hardly a poor design. I use the BR Sport. It holds the camera securely and it's really comfortable when you have a heavy kit. And it doesn't 'swing all over the place' any more than any other strap.

Buy one, it's a great strap.

It does swing "all over the place". Just ask my 5 year old, who's caught a camera to the side of the head before. :oops: Bending down require one hand to hold the camera in place, otherwise it will swing forward alarmingly quickly. After using a BlackRapid strap for 5 years I recently switched to a Luma Cinch and the difference is night and day. With the Cinch the camera pretty much stays put. I don't see myself going back to a sliding sling style like the BlackRapid again.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

EnglishBob
555 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 16, 2015 09:28 |  #20

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17477274 (external link)
It does swing "all over the place". Just ask my 5 year old, who's caught a camera to the side of the head before. :oops: Bending down require one hand to hold the camera in place, otherwise it will swing forward alarmingly quickly. After using a BlackRapid strap for 5 years I recently switched to a Luma Cinch and the difference is night and day. With the Cinch the camera pretty much stays put. I don't see myself going back to a sliding sling style like the BlackRapid again.

Mine doesn't do that, but the advantage of the dual strap is there is an extra strap that connects the two straps front and back, probably provides extra stability, don't very often wear just a single so little experience with that.

Gallery (external link) MyGear (external link) About Me (external link)

unfaix
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2015 10:51 |  #21

Nathan wrote in post #17477242 (external link)
I'm gonna start a poll about BlackRapids and see if we can gather direct feedback.

You should do that, it might come in handy.

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17477274 (external link)

I have a mirror less camera now, and hopefully it doesnt swing around as much, but I dislike it when the camera swing a lot.

EnglishBob wrote in post #17477285 (external link)
Mine doesn't do that, but the advantage of the dual strap is there is an extra strap that connects the two straps front and back, probably provides extra stability, don't very often wear just a single so little experience with that.

Dual strap is useful for larger cameras right?

EnglishBob
555 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 16, 2015 11:00 as a reply to  @ unfaix's post |  #22

No, dual strap is is useful for dual cameras, I carry two bodies and lenses, one each side.

Gallery (external link) MyGear (external link) About Me (external link)

Nathan
7,893 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 16, 2015 12:33 |  #23

unfaix wrote in post #17477370 (external link)
You should do that, it might come in handy.

Created: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17477505

Would appreciate anyone posting in this thread to copy and paste their comments into the poll thread. Eventually, this thread will die out and hopefully feedback can be recorded in the poll.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by tvphotog.

Mar 20, 2015 12:38 |  #24

it's a poor design, that's why they've started to make safety catches. I'm guessing a lot of BR users constantly check connections to avoid disaster. I do see those guys constantly fiddle with the strap, whether it's to check connection or to prevent it from swinging all over the place.

I've seen them use backup straps and devices to prevent catastrophic failure which I've read about on the web. IMO, the tripod port is for a tripod, was never meant to support the weight of a camera and lens. If you use that strap it's just one more thing to check before you shoot, and photography becomes like a cockpit check rather than taking photos.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 20, 2015 12:45 |  #25

tvphotog wrote in post #17483979 (external link)
I've seen them use backup straps and devices to prevent catastrophic failure which I've read about on the web. IMO, the tripod port is for a tripod, was never meant to support the weight of a camera and lens.

Actually, that's exactly what it's meant for. Put the camera on a tripod and aim it at something straight down. Better yet, put it on a tripod with the center column upside down to get an "on the ground" perspective. In either case the camera and lens are being supported by the tripod mount. Mount your camera on a car rig and now you've got the camera and lens mounted upside down while hanging off the side of a car. I never see anyone mention the whole "your camera isn't designed to do that" when people are discussing rig shots or macro shooting.

Of course, if you don't like the idea of hanging the camera from the tripod mount then you can always get an Op Tech utility loop and attach that to the strap mount. Then you can attach the BR to the utility loop instead of the tripod mount. Simple, effective, and it frees up the tripod mount for a tripod plate. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 22, 2015 09:05 |  #26

Never had an a issue with the BR RS-7 and have used it on multiple body/lens combinations. That said I have since implemented a safety system...just in case.

For the SL1 body I only use the BR strap so a set of OP/TECH Uni-Loops are incorporated; one mounted to the strap lug and the other to the strap ring. On my 70D I use an OP/TECH Pro Strap but on the occasion where I want to use the BR strap I simply loop the OP/Tech connectors through the BR strap. See attached.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 22, 2015 09:07 |  #27

I am not a BR user so everything I post is hearsay. I've seen a post a few years ago and I think it was on POTN where someone described how the metal screw that goes into tripod mount broke and camera fell to the ground. The same thread mentioned that Ebay clone of the same model was made from different material which was more sturdy than original. This was one of the main reasons why I went against this style of strap and also because I do use tripod a lot and it would mean I have to unscrew the camera several times a day.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 22, 2015 09:16 |  #28

I have used my BR for women strap for a few years now and I think the connector is very secure, never had a problem with it. I just purchased the Matin, which was highest rated, and I don't know about the connectors because they don't look nearly as secure as the BR, but still, I'm using it with the 7DII and 70-200 2.8 IS II and I don't worry about anything disconnecting. These strap connectors are made to take the punishment, and they do. I don't have trouble with the strap lengthening.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Nathan
7,893 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 22, 2015 12:43 |  #29

dkizzle wrote in post #17486464 (external link)
I have to unscrew the camera several times a day.

You don't have to. You just unhook the caribiner. The only reason you'd have to unscrew is if you want to attach to a tripod (thought now BR makes compatible Acratech plates, I think) or if you really want to lay the camera flat on its bottom. For the most part, I keep the fastener screwed in.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 22, 2015 13:38 |  #30

Nathan wrote in post #17486692 (external link)
You don't have to. You just unhook the caribiner. The only reason you'd have to unscrew is if you want to attach to a tripod (thought now BR makes compatible Acratech plates, I think) or if you really want to lay the camera flat on its bottom. For the most part, I keep the fastener screwed in.

I did mention that I use tripod a lot so I would have to unscrew it, I also have my L plate on.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

sponsored links

7,706 views & 3 likes for this thread
how does black rapid strap not come off by accident?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.