Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 22 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Faster shutter speeds of crop vs. full frame?

bobbyhicks
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 22, 2015 21:30 |  #1

I was shooting with a friend a while back who was shooting crop and I was shooting full frame. I noticed consistently his shutter was firing much faster than mine, even though we were both shooting aperture priority, same speed lens, bracket shots. Well I just kissed it off to my canon vs. his nikon and forgot about it.

I bought a new 70D going backwards as some would say, but I wanted the articulating screen to be able to get certain shots easier. I have now shot with my new 70D only on one outing but I do believe I am seeing faster shutter speeds than I did with the 5dm2 using same favorite 24-105 f4L. Anyone else seen this difference in faster shutter speeds of crop vs. full frame?

BobH65

sponsored links
Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 22, 2015 21:44 |  #2

I would say it depends on a few things.

1. Subject being shot.
2. Memory card type and speed.
3. Camera's built in write speed.
4. Shutter settings.
5. File settings. Raw/Raw+L/Raw+M/Raw+S, etc....

Generally, newer cameras have higher write speed and better buffer.

I tried 2 sd cards on an eos-m. one is a standard 30mb/s and the other was a 60mb/s card. 1st card I shot 3 continuous shots before it slowed down, while the other I could make it 4.5 - 5 shots before it slowed down. The 2nd card felt as if it was also "faster" and cleared it's buffer quicker.

tabi_24
147 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 22, 2015 21:50 |  #3

Do you just mean the fps? Certain cameras fire more frames per second than others. It has nothing to do with Full Frame vs. Crop. It's just a spec of the camera. The 7D (crop) does 8fps. The T2i (also crop) only does 3.7fps.

http://www.foreverafte​rphotography.net
http://www.tabithaspho​tography.webs.com
Cameras: Canon 5D Mark ii, Canon 7D, Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f 2.8L IS, 24-105 L f4, Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f4

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 22, 2015 22:08 |  #4

tabi_24 wrote in post #17487435 (external link)
Do you just mean the fps? Certain cameras fire more frames per second than others. It has nothing to do with Full Frame vs. Crop. It's just a spec of the camera. The 7D (crop) does 8fps. The T2i (also crop) only does 3.7fps.

Yes, and the FF 1Dx does 12 fps and is faster than any Canon crop camera. Yes some crop cameras are faster than some FF ones, but some are slower too. It has nothing to do with sensor size.

I am confused by what the OP is talking about though, is it fps or do they actually mean shutter speeds? If so, how are they "noticing" the faster shutter speed? Unless using very slow shutter speeds you won't hear a significant difference in the shutter opening and closing. Most of what you hear is the mirror clacking up and down, and that may sound quicker in one model to another, but again is not related to sensor size.

Shutter speed needed for correct exposure doesn't alter depending on sensor size, it remains constant at any given aperture and ISO, regardless of format. Otherwise, current exposure meters would be useless.

tabi_24
147 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 22, 2015 22:13 |  #5

sandpiper wrote in post #17487451 (external link)
Yes, and the FF 1Dx does 12 fps and is faster than any Canon crop camera. Yes some crop cameras are faster than some FF ones, but some are slower too. It has nothing to do with sensor size.

I am confused by what the OP is talking about though, is it fps or do they actually mean shutter speeds? If so, how are they "noticing" the faster shutter speed? Unless using very slow shutter speeds you won't hear a significant difference in the shutter opening and closing. Most of what you hear is the mirror clacking up and down, and that may sound quicker in one model to another, but again is not related to sensor size.

Shutter speed needed for correct exposure doesn't alter depending on sensor size, it remains constant at any given aperture and ISO, regardless of format. Otherwise, current exposure meters would be useless.

"I noticed consistently his shutter was firing much faster than mine" leads me to believe they are referring to the fps. I never looked at the specs of the 1Dx, that's awesome. I have a 7D and love the 8fps but I don't really use it too much anymore so I couldn't justify the 1Dx.

http://www.foreverafte​rphotography.net
http://www.tabithaspho​tography.webs.com
Cameras: Canon 5D Mark ii, Canon 7D, Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f 2.8L IS, 24-105 L f4, Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f4

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 22, 2015 22:27 |  #6

sandpiper wrote in post #17487451 (external link)

It will actually do 14fps - but it locks the mirror up for the duration of the burst.

12fps is the max with the mirror flipping up and down and autofocusing between frames

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

bobbyhicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 22, 2015 22:33 as a reply to  @ tabi_24's post |  #7

I was referring to shutter speeds picked by camera while both shooting same subject, set on aperture priority. We checked when I noted the sound of his being faster, and his crop were much faster than my ff.

BobH65

bobbyhicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 22, 2015 22:35 as a reply to  @ Aswald's post |  #8

I thought write speed was the card?

BobH65

bobbyhicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 22, 2015 22:36 as a reply to  @ tabi_24's post |  #9

No I mean shutter speeds not fps.

BobH65

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Motor On.

Mar 22, 2015 22:37 |  #10

In AV you may see a faster shutter speed on a crop camera in order to compensate for the crop factor. The camera system a lot of times will attempt to keep 1/focal length for the shutter speed; with a crop camera the camera will try to keep 1/(1.6xfocal length). This is to prevent motion blur from hand movement.

All of that covered, I wouldn't too much about what others are doing, just make images how you desire them.

Edit: It could also be a number of other factors, the focal length, metering mode and framing and ISO all factor into how long the computer thinks the shutter needs to stay open. The best way to know conclusively would be to compare the information attached to each image side by side.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

bobbyhicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 22, 2015 22:38 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #11

Sorry I'm new and trying to learn. What do you mean by OP?

BobH65

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 22, 2015 23:25 |  #12

bobbyhicks wrote in post #17487480 (external link)
Sorry I'm new and trying to learn. What do you mean by OP?

OP is normally "original poster"
Or the Person who started the thread

In this case - thats you (i dont know if you see it - but for the rest of us, there is a red "thread starter" under your name in this thread)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

raptor3x
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 23, 2015 11:31 |  #13

bobbyhicks wrote in post #17487475 (external link)
I was referring to shutter speeds picked by camera while both shooting same subject, set on aperture priority. We checked when I noted the sound of his being faster, and his crop were much faster than my ff.

If you use the same focal length in Av both on both a crop and ff Canon body, the shutter speed chosen by the crop body will be ~1.6x faster than on the ff body to try to reduce blur due to camera shake. This is only a function of the Av logic compensating for narrower field of view (and thus greater sensitivity to camera shake) on the crop body compared to the fullframe body.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1ii, G9 Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, PL 200 2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,410 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (12 edits in all)

Mar 23, 2015 11:43 |  #14

Motor On wrote:
The camera system a lot of times will attempt to keep 1/focal length for the shutter speed; with a crop camera the camera will try to keep 1/(1.6xfocal length). This is to prevent motion blur from hand movement.

raptor3x wrote in post #17488194 (external link)
If you use the same focal length in Av both on both a crop and ff Canon body, the shutter speed chosen by the crop body will be ~1.6x faster than on the ff body to try to reduce blur due to camera shake. This is only a function of the Av logic compensating for narrower field of view (and thus greater sensitivity to camera shake) on the crop body compared to the fullframe body.

1. There is no camera which has the logic built into its 'shutter speed = FL/1.6' rule of thumb... That is a rule of thumb for the PHOTOGRAPHER to apply! A meter is a meter, and has no idea of the size of the camera's sensor or film, so has no clue as to any rule of thumb about camera motion and allowable shutter speed for handholding.

2. The same FL on APS-C vs. FF will result in a narrower Field of View on the APS-C camera, due it is 1.6x smaller sensor.
If the metering systems of both cameras measures the frame content of both frames while using identical FL and same camera position,

• the APS-C meter MIGHT read different reading than FF meter, merely because the frame areas read varies naturally between the two cameras, and the brighter, outer area at the edges of the frame can result in a faster shutter speed
  • But if both cameras were pointed at the same blank uniformly lit wall, the meters should measure the SAME shutter speed with the same aperture, in spite of difference of FOV.

To illustrate how framing changes metering, here are two shots with the same camera with the same position, but with different areas framed (shot 2 FL is about FL/1.6 compared to shot 1!)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/framing%20metering_zpsom9ri57m.jpg

The shot on the left meters 1/60, the shot on the right meters 1/80 !

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 23, 2015 21:06 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #17488208 (external link)
1. There is no camera which has the logic built into its 'shutter speed = FL/1.6' rule of thumb... That is a rule of thumb for the PHOTOGRAPHER to apply! A meter is a meter, and has no idea of the size of the camera's sensor or film, so has no clue as to any rule of thumb about camera motion and allowable shutter speed for handholding.

2. The same FL on APS-C vs. FF will result in a narrower Field of View on the APS-C camera, due it is 1.6x smaller sensor.
If the metering systems of both cameras measures the frame content of both frames while using identical FL and same camera position,

• the APS-C meter MIGHT read different reading than FF meter, merely because the frame areas read varies naturally between the two cameras, and the brighter, outer area at the edges of the frame can result in a faster shutter speed
  • But if both cameras were pointed at the same blank uniformly lit wall, the meters should measure the SAME shutter speed with the same aperture, in spite of difference of FOV.

To illustrate how framing changes metering, here are two shots with the same camera with the same position, but with different areas framed (shot 2 FL is about FL/1.6 compared to shot 1!)

QUOTED IMAGE

The shot on the left meters 1/60, the shot on the right meters 1/80 !

+1 :-)

sponsored links

2,823 views & 10 likes for this thread
Faster shutter speeds of crop vs. full frame?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.