Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Mar 2015 (Thursday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Auto White Balance ???

blksporty
227 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 19, 2015 17:55 |  #1

On Saturday I have a cheerleading competition to shoot. Last year I used AWB, but with all the colored lights I was wondering if something else would be better. What would do….

Gear:
1D mkIV x 2, 24-70LII, 70-200 2.8 non IS, 100-400, 50D, Flash's and other stuff

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 19, 2015 18:35 |  #2

Shoot raw, alter WB in post-processing.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 19, 2015 19:48 |  #3

blksporty wrote in post #17482666 (external link)
On Saturday I have a cheerleading competition to shoot. Last year I used AWB, but with all the colored lights I was wondering if something else would be better. What would do….

hollis_f wrote in post #17482715 (external link)
Shoot raw, alter WB in post-processing.

Shooting RAW and winging the WB in post is every bit as chancy. Shoot RAW, by all means, but take a CWB from a grey card under the base lighting. If you can have a grey/white standard that'll be visible in at least one photo from each sequence, then you can adjust in post from that. Maybe there's a spot on the floor that's a clean white or near white. If not, at least you'll have neutralized the base light level, so what's left will be (mostly) the colours the competitors chose to go with in the lighting. Don't rely on any parts of their uniforms being a clean white - they probably use brighteners in cleaning them and those frequently fluoresce under the lights (same reason TV people always, back in the day, wore blue, rather than white, shirts - unadulterated white tends to look a dingy grey in B&W, while a fluorescing blue will really look white).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

blksporty
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 19, 2015 19:54 |  #4

Thanks to both for the tips. I shot jpeg last year will try raw this time

Gear:

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 20, 2015 01:56 |  #5

Jon wrote in post #17482824 (external link)
Shooting RAW and winging the WB in post is every bit as chancy.

Only if you're after an accurate WB. If you want the right WB then you'll need to 'wing it' in PP even if you use a grey card.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,472 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 21, 2015 05:09 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #6

In situations like this I forget WB and edit to an acceptable skin tone on faces, or at least on the main subject if the light is inconsistent. Capture One makes this a little easier, but it can be done in Lightroom as well, just not with one click.

Elie / אלי

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,731 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 21, 2015 08:47 |  #7

A key point, during this 'debate' about custom white balance technique, is 'NOT AWB' which can be highly flawed in its result even from shot to shot.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 21, 2015 10:10 |  #8

I shoot in the theatre, which is NOTHING but colored lights. I shoot RAW, with WB set to tungsten (since that's what most of the instruments are (thought LEDs are becoming more prevelant)) and fix anything that is outrageously odd looking in post.

But in my case, I'm supporting the color, since that is what the LD intended.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,734 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Mar 21, 2015 15:16 |  #9

I would set the WB to the K setting. Then, I would set the K value to something fairly neutral, such as 5400 degrees. Then I would take a test shot of the scene I wish to photograph I would look at the test shot on the LCD screen, and compare it to the real scene before me. If the shot on the LCD looked warmer than the real life scene, then I would turn the K setting down to, say, 4800 and take another test shot. If it then looked a bit too cool, I would set the K value to 5000 degrees and compare. Tweak the K temperature until it looks just right.

It may sound complicated and time consuming, but in reality I go thru that process dozens of times each day, and it takes about 10 seconds. It has the added benefit of developing your eye, with respect to light temperature. I can now see the light much more accurately than when I used AWB and adjusted in post.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

blksporty
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 22, 2015 20:04 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #10

This is a great idea, wish I'd had that info yesterday. I shot everything on white fluorescent then fixed a preset in LR to correct it. It wasn't a bad way to do it, it just took one more step.

Gear:

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 23, 2015 07:04 |  #11

I second or third the "don't use AWB" comment. Even if it's way off, using a constant WB while shooting RAW will allow you to fix it once and copy the settings to the rest of the shots (assuming same exposure situation). I strive for correct WB in camera and I use this:

http://smile.amazon.co​m …te-Balance/dp/B003XJH1IY/ (external link) (expodisk knock-off). Even when WB is right, I still end up tweaking it some for one reason or another - most often simply for taste.

--
John

blksporty
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 24, 2015 08:14 as a reply to  @ jc1350's post |  #12

Thanks for the link, I never knew that these existed, I'll get one and give it a try.

Gear:

sponsored links

1,865 views & 1 like for this thread
Auto White Balance ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.