Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 21 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering switching over to the dark side, questions about pros and cons.....

TheBigDog
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 14, 2015 19:33 as a reply to  @ post 17452593 |  #46

I can tell you that I'm currently going through the process of switching to Nikon. I got my hands on a D810 a couple weeks ago and just haven't looked back. I know it's gonna be a little tough getting comparable lenses, but in the end I think it will be ok. The only one I'm going to really miss, is the MPE-65. Sadly I haven't even used it much, but there have been times where it's come in handy.
i'll post more after a couple more weeks and some usage outside.

Chris
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Nikon D5 * D850 * 24-70 f/2.8 * Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art * 105mm f/2.8 * 70-200 f/2.8 * 80-400mm * Sigma Sport 150-600mm

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 14, 2015 22:17 as a reply to  @ TheBigDog's post |  #47

The only Nikon lens I use where I wish it were as good as the current Canon version is my 70-200VR. Canon also has the advantage with specialty lenses like tilt-shift and the MPE-65.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

windlight
286 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by windlight. (2 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2015 07:13 |  #48

I'm in the process of switching over myself (Canon 6D -> Nikon D750). I would say the biggest challenge is the ergonomics of the Nikon. After shooting with Canon DSLRs for so many years, Nikon's button layout just feels wrong. I have something of a laundry list of design gripes specifically with the Nikon D750, here's a couple off the top of my head:

1. Nikon's front dial is further down the grip than on Canons, which makes it harder to reach.

2. The default ISO button is on the left-side of the camera which means you can't change ISO with one hand. This can be partially fixed by remapping it to the record button. Also the screen lights up every time you want to change ISO (why Nikon?)

3. The menus feel unintuitive, but maybe it's just habit. It takes a lot of button presses to do something like change the flash power of an off-camera flash. The menu lag is real however, it takes roughly 3 sec to bring up the menu from sleep mode.

4. Wifi functionality is rudimentary. You cannot change exposure using the mobile app, only focus and shoot.

5. The build quality feels flimsier than a Canon prosumer DSLR, there is a lot more plastic in it's construction.

6. AF points are all concentrated in the middle of the frame, which prevents you from being able to focus on details outside of the middle. It will also cause the Nikon to miss focus on moving subjects more often than a camera like the 5D3.

Despite all of it's shortcomings, the image quality and dynamic range of the Nikon is superior to the Canon so I can tolerate it being a more fiddly camera to operate.

Former Canon fanboy.
Nikon D750 | Fuji X100T | 105mm f/2.8G VR | 50mm f/1.8G | Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC | SB-910 | YN568EX
Feedback/Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
50,956 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 22, 2015 13:51 |  #49

Yep Nikon cameras feel like they were designed by a demented engineer rather than a designer, but you get used to it. In practice they work really well.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 22, 2015 22:27 |  #50

Still in the process of switching, camera body hasn't arrived yet but picked up accessories and lenses... will be a little odd zooming in the opposite direction. One thing I did notice was the SB-900 just felt so much more "finished" than the 580ex II that I had did. Several little details for me, the button feel, the clickiness of the swivel head, the included diffuser as well as gels (although I plan to purchase the hard snap on gels instead). The fact that the included diffuser is setup to all use of the gels to begin with without any special modifications!

But I digress... still waiting for the body (D750) to arrive... anxiously nervous about re-learning my camera!

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,445 posts
Gallery: 1758 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 22, 2015 22:48 |  #51

werds wrote in post #17487468 (external link)
Still in the process of switching, camera body hasn't arrived yet but picked up accessories and lenses... will be a little odd zooming in the opposite direction. One thing I did notice was the SB-900 just felt so much more "finished" than the 580ex II that I had did. Several little details for me, the button feel, the clickiness of the swivel head, the included diffuser as well as gels (although I plan to purchase the hard snap on gels instead). The fact that the included diffuser is setup to all use of the gels to begin with without any special modifications!

But I digress... still waiting for the body (D750) to arrive... anxiously nervous about re-learning my camera!

If it helps at all i have its little brother - the D7100 and its Fabulous, the ergonomics - the handling - the weather sealing - and how dare i not mention the DR Superb.

You wont be disappointed or left wanting:-)

P.

Some stuff.

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 22, 2015 23:06 |  #52

Pagman wrote in post #17487484 (external link)
If it helps at all i have its little brother - the D7100 and its Fabulous, the ergonomics - the handling - the weather sealing - and how dare i not mention the DR Superb.

You wont be disappointed or left wanting:-)

P.

Aaaaah the weather sealing! I live near the beach and I remember getting a little adventurous with my 70D while waist deep with the surf coming in and spraying me (gotta get shots of the kids..elements be damned!) I actually got a small kick out of noticing that each lens I was eyeing up was weather sealed! Not that this means I will dunk it in the pool, but at least I won't feel as worried when my kids splash some water my way while taking shots in the future :)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

Mathmans
269 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 23, 2015 08:32 as a reply to  @ werds's post |  #53

It's almost 2 years since I've got D7100. It's a very good camera with superb image quality. It's amazing what can you do with NEF files in post processing. The jpeg files also have a very good quality. I have done some tests and I could push the jpegs and lift shadows in ACR with great results.
But there are also a few things that bothers me.
The first is outdated focusing system with only 15 cross type focusing points, which are crowded in the middle of the viewfinder. Sometimes I have a hard time to get a good focus on stationary subjects or objects with those non cross type points; not to mention moving targets. I think it's time for Nikon to update those old AF sensors. They have the best image sensors on the market but they are just not there with those outdated focusing modules. What a shame.
The second thing is shallow buffer – the buffer is a joke.
And the third thing is the grip. I think the person who designed the grip was not from this world. This grip was not designed for human hands.
I was about to get D7200 but despite bigger buffer and a new processor the focusing system is the same outdated module and the grip is the same.
Well, maybe next time.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

Poe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 23, 2015 19:21 |  #54

How do you view your situation? Are you looking for a new system or just a stopgap? Do you use any accessories like flash, particularly the 600EX-RTs now?

If a wide lens selection and full AF capability matters to you most, I would say look to the Nikon system. Many of their G-type lenses are comparable to the L-type lenses from Canon. Accessories like flashes are comparable too except for no native radio style trigger system on the latest model, but plenty of 3rd party options. I'd say Canon has the better overall glass and accessory system from what I've seen in lens reviews.

If you're comfortable with using an adapter with your current Canon lenses but slower AF speed, look to the A7R/A7II from Sony as a stopgap unless you're interested in heavily investing in it's native lenses and can wait for the lineup to mature (if the A-mount system is an indication, it's going to be awhile). I've been told that you can use the Yongnuo ST-E3-RT knockoff with the A7 series to control 600EX-RTs (might be of interest to you) as well (no ETTL of course). I'm interested to find out if I could get the Yongnuo knock off to trigger off a D750 body like another member does with it on the Sony. There are some neat focus features the Sony bodies have through the use of the EVF plus IBIS that should work even with the adapted lenses.

I chose the D750 and Nikon system over Sony principally because of the more mature lens system, I like the feel of a DSLR in my hand, and a few other features. However after using the manual CZ 135 I own and later finding out about the YN-E3-RT, I probably would have been able to work with an A7II. The 14-24 has been great to work with if you're into UWAs (not to mention much less expensive than the 11-24L unless you need the 11-14 range regardless of cost).

Nikon D750 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100, Apo-Sonnar 2/135

Canon_Shoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 24, 2015 00:35 as a reply to  @ Poe's post |  #55

Is the dynamic range completely night and day different from shooting Canon?

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

windlight
286 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 24, 2015 08:03 as a reply to  @ Canon_Shoe's post |  #56

I think so, the dynamic range of my 6D has never impressed me. This random cat photo is obviously overexposed, but the highlights arn't clipped. I'm sure it can do even better at ISO 100.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Former Canon fanboy.
Nikon D750 | Fuji X100T | 105mm f/2.8G VR | 50mm f/1.8G | Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC | SB-910 | YN568EX
Feedback/Gear List

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 24, 2015 08:19 as a reply to  @ Canon_Shoe's post |  #57

I think dpreview illustrates the difference pretty well in their D750 review.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/nikon-d750/14 (external link)

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

windlight
286 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 24, 2015 08:32 as a reply to  @ bacchanal's post |  #58

Yup, it is a well-known fact that the D750 eats the 5D3 for breakfast when it comes to high ISO performance and extreme shadow recovery.

Former Canon fanboy.
Feedback/Gear List

raptor3x
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 24, 2015 09:04 |  #59

windlight wrote in post #17489633 (external link)
Yup, it is a well-known fact that the D750 eats the 5D3 for breakfast when it comes to high ISO performance and extreme shadow recovery.

Shadow recovery, yes; high ISO, not really. The D750 is slightly better in handling chroma noise but it's not an "eats for breakfast" kind of difference.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1ii, G9 Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, PL 200 2.8

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 24, 2015 10:29 as a reply to  @ windlight's post |  #60

its a newer camera, how can you talk bout the 5D3 at least 3 years old.
And also I'd rather have a Canon with the back wheel for fast AF.
Never failed.
Shadows recovery are great with Nikon, but it will not make me switch for that reason.
You got to look at a camera in its whole....not just its weakness, if we can call it as such!

sponsored links

12,333 views & 19 likes for this thread
Considering switching over to the dark side, questions about pros and cons.....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.