Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this even Possible ??

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,922 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 24, 2015 10:03 |  #1

All right you techie guys. I got somethin for ya

I had a very interesting conversation with a couple of software guys on my flight back to washington this weekend.
As luck would have it, I was sitting next a chinese guy and an Indian guy that both looked like they were graduates from MIT. They were talking software and photography came up in their conversation so naturally i introduced myself and struck up a conversation with them.

After I told them what I did, they started asking me some questions. Probably to see if i was BSing them. They said, have you seen the software that lets you move the focal points around and other software that i have read about. When i replied yes the conversation really took off. BTW, super cool guys that were waaaaaaaay smarter than your truly.
I mentioned to them about the new 5Ds and how you can choose 1.0, 1.3. & 1.6 format in the camera software. The chinese guy says - "Yes we helped with that development ". My Jaw just about hit the floor. So I really listened to what he was saying.

He asked me how many lens I currently have. When i told him, he said something that blew me away.

They are working on cameras and software that have one single lens on the body, and, you can go into the camera menus and select the FOV you want and lens application you are looking for. So in other words, in your software, you can select 85L or say 24-70 and its going to give you those looks with one single lens and body.
This blew me away. The guy was dead serious. He indicates everything that is being developed for photography is in the software ,lens development and now this new body he was talking about

So Now Im wondering if this is even remotely a possibility.

These guys were super cool and I have no reason to not believe them.

what do you think ? That would put the DSLR out of existence if it actually came to be. Is this even remotely possible ?
Still kind of blown away by the conversations i had with these 2 guys about photography software and development of future products with photography.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 24, 2015 10:13 |  #2

I'm sure it is possible. The description sounds similar to a Lytro.
Personally, I don't see this making DSLRs or mirrorless cameras obsolete/extinct. I see this as the camera in a cell phone somewhere down the road.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,961 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 24, 2015 10:33 |  #3

Would it be very different from having a whole lot of zoom?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 24, 2015 12:32 |  #4

I would think that if you had a lens that was 14-200mm f/1.2 then the camera could "simulate" anything between those two ranges with an aperature smaller than f/1.2. Of course, that particular lens would be ridiculous.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 24, 2015 13:08 |  #5

So I'm really dumb in this area, but as far as the crop factor goes (1.0, 1.3, 1.6) isn't that simply so you would have more diverse lenses to use? I mean, all it's doing is cropping into the frame and blowing up the result a bit. It's giving you the illusion of more reach but it's not really there. In essence kind of like digital zoom on a p&s? This is cool to be able to do this in camera, but if what I'm thinking is correct, it wouldn't necessarily be considered "cutting edge". It's the same thing we've been doing in post since the digital age. In my mind the equivalent of in camera monochrome and B&W. Please educate me if I'm wrong, because I want to become more knowledgeable on the technical side of cameras.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 24, 2015 13:40 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #6

I think you have it right.

The advantage of an actual "crop sensor" camera is more pixels on target vs a full frame of equal MP. However, for the 5Ds this amounts to and in camera, pre exposure crop.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 24, 2015 14:08 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #7

Got it. Thanks for the reply.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 24, 2015 14:33 |  #8

umphotography wrote in post #17489753 (external link)
They are working on cameras and software that have one single lens on the body, and, you can go into the camera menus and select the FOV you want and lens application you are looking for. So in other words, in your software, you can select 85L or say 24-70 and its going to give you those looks with one single lens and body.
This blew me away. The guy was dead serious. He indicates everything that is being developed for photography is in the software ,lens development and now this new body he was talking about

This has always been available. This is called a super-zoom P/S or compact. One camera, one lens, and a great number of focal lengths with the corresponding field of views. Couple that technology with the Lytro sustem and you also have the ability to re-focus in post processing as well.

umphotography wrote in post #17489753 (external link)
what do you think ? That would put the DSLR out of existence if it actually came to be. Is this even remotely possible ?...

No, software is slick and can mimic many different things, but nothing will beat actual optical properties. You might simulate different lens field of views by simply cropping an image, just as today's crop bodies simulate a lens being longer than it's actual focal length, it doesn't change the lenses actual optical properties. A 400mm lens on a crop camera looks like a 600mm but it's not going to beat a FF camera with an actual 600mm lens. It's still a 400mm lens with the edges cropped out of the picture simulating a longer lens.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 24, 2015 14:52 |  #9

As has been pointed out, it sounds like digital zoom coupled with Lytro style image capture. Beyond that, you still can't mimic a shift lens with software. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

gjl711
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 24, 2015 14:56 |  #10

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17490212 (external link)
As has been pointed out, it sounds like digital zoom coupled with Lytro style image capture. Beyond that, you still can't mimic a shift lens with software. ;)

Well, you can.. sort of.. if you're looking to go blurry and maybe Lytro could do the same using a tilted focal plane. But still, it's not going to replace an optical solution. It might simulate it and do it decently but it will never be as good.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 24, 2015 15:20 |  #11

gjl711 wrote in post #17490218 (external link)
But still, it's not going to replace an optical solution.

plenoptic cameras are an optical solution. It is not simply taking a couple of pictures and then choosing which to use for focus, it uses MANY micro lenses that give hundreds, or many hundreds, of individual images. The software then interprets the relationship between each image so that it understands the spacial differences between objects in the scene. Once it understands what is going on in the image you could put the plane of focus anywhere you want. And I'm fairly certain it doesn't have to be parallel to the sensor.

It can't change perspective, but assuming you put a wide angle lens in front of the micro lenses, and you shoot with a super high res camera, you can adjust many perspective issues in post.

this stuff is mind blowing.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 24, 2015 15:20 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #17490218 (external link)
Well, you can.. sort of.. if you're looking to go blurry and maybe Lytro could do the same using a tilted focal plane. But still, it's not going to replace an optical solution. It might simulate it and do it decently but it will never be as good.

Well, there's more to a tilt/shift than that "miniature", effect. For example, you can place the camera in front of a mirror and shift the lens, allowing you to get a clean shot of the mirror without the camera showing up in the frame. Here's an example from the 24 tse manual:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

gjl711
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 24, 2015 17:29 |  #13

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17490241 (external link)
Well, there's more to a tilt/shift than that "miniature", effect. For example, you can place the camera in front of a mirror and shift the lens, allowing you to get a clean shot of the mirror without the camera showing up in the frame. Here's an example from the 24 tse manual:

I think that was my point.

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 29, 2015 20:29 |  #14

gjl711 wrote in post #17490186 (external link)
A 400mm lens on a crop camera looks like a 600mm but it's not going to beat a FF camera with an actual 600mm lens. It's still a 400mm lens with the edges cropped out of the picture simulating a longer lens.

I hate to even bring this up because this is very often true BUT......there is so much to factor in here, and so much misunderstanding of the basic physics involved, that I'll suggest that one be careful that the generalization is not ALWAYS correct. As in life, there are always some exceptions. :)

A good, high-density, small-sensor camera with a great quality shorter 400mm or 500mm lens can outperform many FF cameras even with a 600mm lens, for CERTAIN types of shots - basically, for any super telephoto work where one wants or needs to crop the image, thus making the wide FOV advantage of the FF to be meaningless.

In these cases, the higher density of the small-sensor camera acts EXACTLY like a longer lens on the lower density camera (FF camera), assuming that we are not diffraction limited and that the denser sensor camera has sufficient signal-noise performance.

This is because the "true" resolution of the desired object in the image is dependent on BOTH the focal length AND the sensor density. NEITHER of these has any greater importance on the RESOLUTION of that object (euphemistically called "pixels on target").

For example, a NEX-7 camera with its 0.00388 mm pixel pitch sensor, when combined with a 500mm lens and 2x TC offers up 0.800 arc-seconds/pixel of plate scale resolution, with very acceptable signal/noise performance.

Compare a Canon 5Diii FF camera with its 0.00622 mm pixel pitch sensor, when combined with a 600mm lens + 2x TC, offers up 1.07 arc-seconds/pixel of plate scale resolution.

The higher density NEX-7 camera thus provides 32% more resolution than the FF camera in this example.

All of the FF camera's FOV advantage is thrown away in the crop.

While the FF camera likely will provide better signal/noise performance at the pixel level, it is not enough to compensate for the added resolution of the higher density smaller sensor camera, and, furthermore, optical diffraction is not a significant issue with either of these optical configurations.

So, in summary, I'd agree with the generalization (a FF camera with a longer lens is GENERALLY a better bet), but not ALWAYS!

For very long telephoto work like moon shots, bird and wildlife shots, the smaller, higher density cameras offer some very REAL advantages, especially when combined with equivalent length lenses, but as in this case, sometimes even with shorter length lenses.

Having said all of that, it's absolutely true that the FF cameras offer SIGNIFICANT other advantages over smaller sensor cameras, and these are well recognized. I just wanted to point out the difficulty with the generalizations for long telephoto work.... :-)

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,575 views & 1 like for this thread
Is this even Possible ??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.