Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What post processor do you use?

Davevw3
173 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 24, 2015 15:43 |  #1

I have been trying to find a new program to use for post processing and I'm having trouble. I have been trying to learn LR but can not get used to it, I have been using aperture. My question is; what post processor do you use, and why (even if it is LR)?

"Smile, nod, and back away."

sponsored links
DGStinner
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 24, 2015 15:44 |  #2

I used to use Aperture but switched to Lightroom when Apple announced that Aperture was going away.
There are tons of free videos on YouTube for learning Lightroom. I highly recommend Anthony Morganti's Learn Lightroom 5 series.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 24, 2015 15:48 |  #3

I don't do much post processing, mainly because I don't rally know how, and I am partially color blind.

So, it is Lightroom for me.

Shooting sports (or drag racing), it is easy to make global adjustments to all the images at once (hundreds or even thousands). I would crop them per Max Preps specs, then adjust the ones that needed it as I went through them individually picking out the keepers.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 24, 2015 16:15 |  #4

I use Lightroom and had tried other raw converters years ago and settled on lightroom and haven't really looked around since.

I use Lightroom for keywording all my photos with over 60k photos in a library I really need something that easily let's me find specific photos and let's me build smart galleries to include and exclude photos easily.

I also use it for 90% of my editing, with clone brushes being added in LR 5 the only time I go into photoshop anymore is when I need to do more than just simple spot cloning or I need to use content aware fill.

Perhaps most importantly it let's me easily manage and update files on my smugmug account. If I need to create new galleries, modify galleries, add, remove photos or publish updated/tweaked photos. Much easier than exporting files to jpeg and using a browser to upload etc..

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,242 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 26, 2015 20:10 |  #5

Lightroom for its image organising abilities and its RAW editing. As mentioned above there are a load of great tutorials on Lightroom but for me, the key to learning it was to sit down with an image and use every slider to see what it did.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Alveric.

Mar 26, 2015 21:02 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

CaptureOne Pro 8.2: the engine is far superior to that of LR.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 26, 2015 23:54 |  #7

I use LR mostly for ecommerce/catalog stuff, and anything else I use PS. Lightroom took a while to get a handle of, but after a couple months I felt fairly comfortable incorporating it into my workflow. It's really just quicker to edit multiple files the way I need to with LR. With PS I can do more detailed work (ex. beauty, lookbooks, magazine shoots, etc) and use more complex methods like channel masking, split freq. retouching, etc.

I tried Capture One Pro, and loved the RAW conversions but couldn't figure out how to use it effectively or quickly. Gave up by the time the trial was over, but might revisit one day when I have more time.

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
8,866 posts
Gallery: 752 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 27, 2015 00:05 |  #8

Similarly to Dan, I use LR for sorting and filing and PS for minor editing since I shoot in RAW. Mostly self-taught, spent almost 10 years on this beast but I think I have tamed it now, so it's pretty easy for me. Watched a bunch of good tutorials to master more complex techniques. After going over a few times on a new technique, I feel comfortable but some things took me a while. Keep trying and you will get there :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,301 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 27, 2015 00:20 |  #9

I started with Lightroom 2, now using LR4, can't wait for LR6. I really like it but it didn't make a lot of sense at first. Then I got Scott Kelby's book on it and read the first few chapters on organization before importing photos for real. Its one of those programs where I think most people will benefit from some training to get the most out of it.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 27, 2015 00:33 |  #10

LR was the Adobe's answer to RAW.
Real deal has and always will be PS.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Davevw3
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 27, 2015 11:13 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #11

Thanks guys, I am going to look into getting LR, and maybe go to the local college to learn PS

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 27, 2015 11:22 |  #12

In 2012 I conducted poll on POTN about the question of which RAW conversion software

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=13665896#po​st13665896

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Davevw3
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 27, 2015 11:30 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #13

sweet, thank you.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,310 posts
Gallery: 427 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 27, 2015 11:30 |  #14

Alveric wrote in post #17493407 (external link)
CaptureOne Pro 8.2: the engine is far superior to that of LR.

Do I understand this program to cost $299? Is that correct?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,301 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 27, 2015 12:08 |  #15

Davevw3 wrote in post #17494113 (external link)
Thanks guys, I am going to look into getting LR, and maybe go to the local college to learn PS

http://www.lynda.com/s​earch?q=lightroom (external link)

I think they charge $25/mo for all you can watch. You'll probably get more out of it than sitting in a classroom 3 hours a week for 4 months.

sponsored links

3,088 views & 0 likes for this thread
What post processor do you use?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.