Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 12 Mar 2015 (Thursday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When will Canon have USB Type C connector?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,597 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Mar 23, 2015 15:52 |  #61

BlakeC wrote in post #17488625 (external link)
so.....When will Canon have USB Type C connector?

They made a promise to use the best type c connection available even if that connection came from another manufacturer. Right now they are working with Sony to include their type c connectors into the newest EOS cameras. I'd still give it a couple of years. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 25, 2015 04:22 |  #62

I think it was only this year that Canon started using USB 3 on their SLRs. Perhaps in 5 years?

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

primeone
573 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 04, 2015 10:45 as a reply to  @ dolina's post |  #63

You're looking at it all wrong!

I want to hook up a keyboard and mouse to my DLSR. (wifi and external displays already do).

Now, with the right OS, the whole setup could replace my laptop!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Apr 20, 2015 21:23 |  #64

I'm a little late to the party on this, but I only JUST realized* that some USB 3 connectors are not backwards compatible, and that all the lovely dedicated bales I have for DSLR controller that work great with no adapters on my 5D3, will not fit the 7D2! :p

*... I have 4 external USB 3 drives all using this "new" connector, but I am a dufus and never put it together that this was a "standard" thing.. :lol:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,644 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 20, 2015 23:10 |  #65

What am I missing here? Of all the things I wish for in the next refresh of cameras, the type of USB port was never a thought. Give me more dynamic range, better noise control, faster and more accurate autofocus at narrower aperture in dimmer light, make the cameras more affordable (ha, as if that would ever happen), perhaps even more pixels.

But the USB connector???

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,785 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 21, 2015 04:00 |  #66

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17525830 (external link)
What am I missing here? Of all the things I wish for in the next refresh of cameras, the type of USB port was never a thought. Give me more dynamic range, better noise control, faster and more accurate autofocus at narrower aperture in dimmer light, make the cameras more affordable (ha, as if that would ever happen), perhaps even more pixels.

But the USB connector???

All features allow the photographer to do what they need to do. more DR allows the unskilled to develop RAW from incorrectly exposed photos. More AF points helps with focusing, better noise means better low light abilty.

Just like a articulating isn't curital to the performace or the photographers ability in using a camera, but it's still a nice feature to have.

the same goes for this adaptor. this adaptor is more than just connecting your camera to your PC. the power and the amount of data that this adaptor can handle means it can do more than just transfer files.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 21, 2015 06:41 |  #67

Mark0159 wrote in post #17525986 (external link)
All features allow the photographer to do what they need to do. more DR allows the unskilled to develop RAW from incorrectly exposed photos. More AF points helps with focusing, better noise means better low light abilty.

Just like a articulating isn't curital to the performace or the photographers ability in using a camera, but it's still a nice feature to have.

the same goes for this adaptor. this adaptor is more than just connecting your camera to your PC. the power and the amount of data that this adaptor can handle means it can do more than just transfer files.

So what's on your mind in terms of "more?"

On my mind is connecting to industry-standard audio mixers, monitors, et cetera.

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,785 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 21, 2015 15:59 |  #68

RDKirk wrote in post #17526076 (external link)
So what's on your mind in terms of "more?"

On my mind is connecting to industry-standard audio mixers, monitors, et cetera.

in theory yes, but of course it's up to canon and everyone else to use it in this manner.

Mark
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 21, 2015 21:56 |  #69

Mark0159 wrote in post #17526801 (external link)
in theory yes, but of course it's up to canon and everyone else to use it in this manner.

In this matter, though, Canon is the tail, not the dog. Canon's money is in making a camera that connects to lots of other things right now, right out of the box, not making a camera that will connect to things that may be adapted by the end of the camera's model life.

ColinM
147 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by ColinM.

May 17, 2015 04:56 |  #70

As if we dont have enough different types of connectors............​... waahhh, so lets have another one, what the hell!

Canon 5D MkII and 7D MkII- Lots, Lots of lenses and other bits.:lol: I Like macro. :cool:
If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Jun 14, 2015 21:40 |  #71

10Gb per second speed transfer .... it's too fast for my hard drives :eek:

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,785 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 15, 2015 04:18 |  #72

then it's time to upgrade

you just can't spend money on camera gear or food  :p

Mark

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 15, 2015 19:30 as a reply to  @ Mark0159's post |  #73

:lol: :lol:

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 20, 2015 02:54 |  #74
bannedPermanent ban

Mark0159 wrote in post #17472266 (external link)
The USB Type-C connector is coming and it's universal. meaning both ends can be the same. Apple have just released a laptop with the only connector, google has release a new chromebook with the same connector so when will Canon get rid of the usb3 type connectors and save space and use the new connector

http://cdn2.expertrevi​ews.co.uk …/usb-type-c-renders_0.jpg (external link)

it also can push more power thru the connector meaning they should be able to have it charge the battery via the camera. You could also use it to output video and lets not forget that it's faster than USB3 :)

I would have thought the new 5DS/R would have come with this port.

Oh blimey, the USB-C is really new tech. Also, the USB-C connects to the computer, so if you can find a USB-mini to USB-C, fine, then buy it

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,077 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John from PA.

Jun 23, 2015 08:48 |  #75

I find it interesting that one of the driving issues that resulted in the USB-C connector is physical size. Many of the newest laptops are 13.1 mm at their thickest point, which leaves little space for for the 7.5 mm standard USB socket. Internally some vertical space is needed to connect most likely to a circuit board and externally some clearance is needed for the physical plug itself.

Now, having said that, I also remember many thread here on how image downloads are accomplished and have seen many an individual state they are concerned about just how rugged the connector is and therefore op to remove the card and use a card reader. But now we are talking about a smaller connector and connecting even more devices!

sponsored links

17,578 views & 4 likes for this thread
When will Canon have USB Type C connector?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.