Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Mar 2015 (Monday) 22:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any 5DIII Grey Market Buyers? (Happy or Sad with Purchase?)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,429 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Mar 24, 2015 12:17 |  #16

LonelyBoy wrote in post #17489833 (external link)
I can't imagine that anyone is going to send a 5D3 to Japan for repair; I don't know why you keep acting like that's normal. If Canon USA breaks tradition and doesn't honor the warranty, they'll fix it for a fee (and it's unlikely the camera would need repair during the one-year warranty anyway).

Also, where are you seeing new 7Ds for $1600? BHP has the body for $750, and the 7D2 for $1700. Used prices are a bit higher than they were (and too close to the new, for my taste), but nowhere near $800-900. The highest one on the first few pages of the classifieds here is $700 (and color me stunned if it sells at that price).

My whole point was no one would send a camera to another country for warranty. Especially if shipping was the same cost as what they would be saving buying from a different outlet. So on the contrary of thinking that would be normal, I was stating it would be anything but that.

And on the 7D, I was mistakenly looking at the 7DII. Thank you for pointing out my error.

And on what people are asking for used a used 7D (I never said what was being paid, only what people were asking for them). Here are the current prices on my local CL for a 7D Mark 1:

$680 w/ grip
$650
$1000 w/a ef-s 18-135
$950 w/a ef-s 18-135
$800
$900 w/ grip
$700

There are a few more but they are in bundles.

These are not necessarily fair asking prices with the price of the new 7D Mark 1, but they are the asking prices regardless.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18 f4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35 f2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 24, 2015 13:15 |  #17

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #17489987 (external link)
My whole point was no one would send a camera to another country for warranty. Especially if shipping was the same cost as what they would be saving buying from a different outlet. So on the contrary of thinking that would be normal, I was stating it would be anything but that.

And on the 7D, I was mistakenly looking at the 7DII. Thank you for pointing out my error.

And on what people are asking for used a used 7D (I never said what was being paid, only what people were asking for them). Here are the current prices on my local CL for a 7D Mark 1:

$680 w/ grip
$650
$1000 w/a ef-s 18-135
$950 w/a ef-s 18-135
$800
$900 w/ grip
$700

There are a few more but they are in bundles.

These are not necessarily fair asking prices with the price of the new 7D Mark 1, but they are the asking prices regardless.

If "no one" would do that, why did you keep hammering on about it? Apparently Canon honors the warranty in the USA anyway. Even if not, you can pay for a repair and still break even (and the need, during the warranty period, is unlikely to come up) compared to straight retail. So, why did you keep saying it in several posts? What do you have against people going grey market?

And I don't give a you-know-what about your local CL. Frankly. Last month there was a guy on mine who was asking $2700 "firm" for a 5D3. Asking prices aren't market value and are really irrelevant.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,429 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 24, 2015 13:58 as a reply to  @ LonelyBoy's post |  #18

When referring to specific price points of shipping ($200) it was in reference to a previous post about different types of cameras costing $200 more or less. Read above my second post and you'll see. It was only referencing someone sending their camera overseas in a completely sarcastic way, which you obviously didn't get.

The OP posted what our opinions about buying grey market were. I posted mine. I wasn't the only one who opposed grey market. I am not sure why you chose to single me out when my opinions have no bearing on you, but I'm not going to argue with a LonelyBoy over the internet. If the OP, or you, or anyone wants to buy a grey market item, by all means, do what you want. But being a small business owner I cannot support grey market, it's as simple as that. If that offends you for some reason, so be it.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18 f4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35 f2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Furlan
773 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 24, 2015 14:25 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #19

Why don't we just cut to the chase here. To the OP just call Canon customer support 800-652-2666
and ask them . Will you honor the warranty (which you wont receive with a gray market product) on
my gray market camera purchased from a unauthorized dealer. Answer will be no! Take your time
wait and see what happens to the rebate program at the end of this month. On a Item this pricey
buy from a reputable dealer such as B&H, Adorama and there are many more out there.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 24, 2015 14:26 |  #20

I'd buy it. I got mine refurb quite a while ago, if I were in the market now I'd see if they have one, if not I'd get this import. I've never had anything fail within warranty period, I've had things that didn't work out of the box and were exchanged, but in decades of gadgets and electronics, nothing ever had me use warranty. YMMV, but warranty or not or 1 year or 5 year or 100 year makes little difference to me when considering what to buy.

I considered jumping on this deal a couple times but don't really 'need' a 3rd body and decided to order the new super wide zoom from Canon instead. And if that were available cheaper as a grey import (I haven't seen it as it's so new) I'd have gone that way.

One note though, if you shoot a ton of photos, as in the tens of thousands and drag your gear through mud and snow, having a warranty might be something to consider more, depends on what you do and if you think you might wear it out within a year.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 24, 2015 14:30 |  #21

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #17490140 (external link)
But being a small business owner I cannot support grey market, it's as simple as that. If that offends you for some reason, so be it.

I'm glad you finally admitted it wasn't about any actual facts regarding grey market items.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

AirNikesNHats
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 24, 2015 21:01 |  #22

Ive done grey market as far as lenses go, however I wouldn't do so for a body.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 24, 2015 22:42 |  #23

Not sure if my 5D mk III was gray market or not. I bought it from a dealer which failed to include the warranty card (though it arrived in a perfectly legit looking box with serial stickers, accessories, etc), but when I logged in to my Canon USA account I was able to register the camera with no problem and it shows up as one of my CPS listed items. I have a couple of other items bought locally from official dealers which also omitted the warranty card, so it may well be something that happens with some items. No problem registering them with Canon USA either.

At any rate, it's been trouble free for a year so I would have to say "well satisfied" with it.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 25, 2015 16:10 |  #24

PineBomb wrote in post #17489609 (external link)
Not all grey market dealers are sketchy, but I would want that assurance before buying.

We've had many users report on purchases from the two major eBay dealers (GetItDigital and BigValueInc, as well as the alternate store names, AllNewShop and 6ave). All readers have reported receiving brand new bodies (zero shutter count). The vast majority have been happy, except for the following minor issues:

For GetItDigital, readers have reported light up-sell calls (asking for more money to upgrade to a USA model). For BigValueInc, some readers have complained about long 1-2 week processing times (they seem to have oversold during the big sale at the end of February, but have since rectified this and are back to normal processing times.)

No reader has ever reported that Canon USA rejected their warranty service request, even though Canon USA issued that new "grey market warning" at the end of last year. This of course can change at any time, at the discretion of Canon USA.

PineBomb wrote in post #17489609 (external link)
Since you've evoked cpw, I'm sure they'll comment soon.

And here I am :-)

johnmac1952
31 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 26, 2015 12:58 |  #25

I bought a "grey market" 5d Mark III and I am very happy with it. I registered it online with Canon and had no problem. If it is the warranty you are looking for then buy the USA version. Most Ebay sellers will cover the grey market 5D Mark III for a year (or so they state in the advert). As far as the camera body itself, I am completely satisfied.

A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Have

sponsored links

4,497 views & 1 like for this thread
Any 5DIII Grey Market Buyers? (Happy or Sad with Purchase?)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.