Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Jul 2007 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 25, 2015 17:43 |  #9991

I have been very regimented in following my beer and ice cream diet, yet I find I still have that last 15-20 pounds to lose for some reason. :-D

-JIM-

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,472 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 25, 2015 19:47 |  #9992

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #17491858 (external link)
I never could get into exercise at home for some reason. Go to the gym, no problem. For the last 4-5 months, I have been doing a 45 minute spin class, followed by a 75 minute yoga class, 3 times a week. Plus a few bike rides as I can, and lots of long walks with the dog. Plus, I still do a fair bit of physical work, while I am still a young fella at least. :)

At home, I do a couple hundred situps and pushups daily, but that only takes about 10 minutes. Thinking of adding in some squats too.

We have a 5 year old Bowflex Revolution which has about 3 hours on it, if anyone is interested. :)

I'm sort of the other way around but a lot of that is due to work. At home it's much easier to go upstaris work a little weights and some time on the treadmill. A few years ago I joined a health club and for a while we went several times a week. But then when you start factoring the 30 minutes it took to get there, parking, changing in the locker room, another 30 minutes drive home a simple workout turned into the whole evening.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 25, 2015 20:02 |  #9993

I have a gym in my house with lots of equipment, most of which, don't get used. My husband only uses the Nordic Track and weight machine and I look in the room sometimes to see if it needs to be swept. I like walking outside. Haven't done that in a while. But I think I will try to be better once the weather starts getting warmer. We can hope.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by BearLeeAlive.

Mar 25, 2015 20:09 |  #9994

gjl711 wrote in post #17492022 (external link)
I'm sort of the other way around but a lot of that is due to work. At home it's much easier to go upstaris work a little weights and some time on the treadmill. A few years ago I joined a health club and for a while we went several times a week. But then when you start factoring the 30 minutes it took to get there, parking, changing in the locker room, another 30 minutes drive home a simple workout turned into the whole evening.

I know a bunch of people that exersize at home like you do. It just seems I get easily distracted by something else that I would rather do. Once I leave the house, and go to another facility, I then focus better at the task at hand. I think some of it is the atmosphere with others doing similar things. Even going out for a bike ride or a walk works, as once I get going at it, I like to keep going.

I am fortunate to have the gym a few minute drive. The same for the spin and yoga studio. Rather than showering up at home, I just do it there afterwards.

One negative thing, is that the membership costs are fairly high. I do use the gym at the community centre, which is actually very well equipped, though not real big. No charge there, other than my annual membership which is $100 for the two of us.

-JIM-

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,238 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 25, 2015 20:19 |  #9995

I wish I could have equipment at home. Park the TV in front of it, so I don't get bored.

The gym I was going to was 40 kms from home, I was going fairly regularly until they stopped letting you keep stuff in lockers. They had enough lockers available, but wouldn't even rent them. Unless I remembered to take my bag of gear with me every time I went to town, I ended up not going.
If I get a membership at a gym in town, it needs to have shower facilities as I am just too far to go back and forth. If I wanted to work out after work, and then go out with friends, I'd want to clean up.
The one and only nearby gym, which is a community centre, has showers and two saltwater pools, but it also has the highest membership fees. Couples and families can get great discounts, but being single is rather expensive. And the locker rooms are freezing!

Melody

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,238 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 25, 2015 20:24 |  #9996

The single adult membership, which includes free access to all swims, Wellness Centre, open gym times, Aqua Fitness, Aerobics classes, and Group Cycling is $552.40 a year.

Melody

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 26, 2015 04:24 |  #9997

Wow, that's enough to buy something to use at home every year. :) My husband loves just one machine. He kills one every three years or so, and we find another one on ebay that no one used for 10 years. It's great!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,472 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2015 08:18 |  #9998

SuzyView wrote in post #17492388 (external link)
... My husband loves just one machine. He kills one every three years or so, and we find another one on ebay that no one used for 10 years. It's great!

We burned up 2 treadmills before figuring out that you really do get what you pay for. When it came time to replace it we bought a commercial model. It cost quite a bit more but it lasted almost 15 years. We just recently replaced it with another commercial unit and it's going strong showing almost no wear in three years. I expect this is our last as it looks as if it will last forever.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,596 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 26, 2015 08:51 |  #9999

we are only in march.... what will this year bring for californians?

IMAGE: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20150324/20150324_ca_none.png

SmugMug (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 26, 2015 08:54 |  #10000

Wow! Eastern Oregon isn't that bad but we are already listed as moderate.

Sevas Tra...

Harm
48,596 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Harm.

Mar 26, 2015 08:57 |  #10001

Traci_Ann wrote in post #17492550 (external link)
Wow! Eastern Oregon isn't that bad but we are already listed as moderate.

You are right, now much snowfall as previous years?

IMAGE: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20150324/20150324_wa_none.png

Edit - I remember the other day how they were saying that the snowpack in CA is only 10% of what the average is...

https://pbs.twimg.com …CA3sJ1aUwAA-Ft3.png:large (external link)

SmugMug (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 26, 2015 09:31 |  #10002

Almost none comparatively.

Sevas Tra...

Harm
48,596 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 26, 2015 09:34 |  #10003

This is for Jim and Mel:

https://pbs.twimg.com …CA_CKZxVEAIUa7K​.jpg:large (external link)

SmugMug (external link)

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 26, 2015 09:36 |  #10004

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #17492081 (external link)
The single adult membership, which includes free access to all swims, Wellness Centre, open gym times, Aqua Fitness, Aerobics classes, and Group Cycling is $552.40 a year.

That seems like a pretty decent cost.

gjl711 wrote in post #17492512 (external link)
We burned up 2 treadmills before figuring out that you really do get what you pay for. When it came time to replace it we bought a commercial model. It cost quite a bit more but it lasted almost 15 years. We just recently replaced it with another commercial unit and it's going strong showing almost no wear in three years. I expect this is our last as it looks as if it will last forever.

Not only does quality equipment (for any use) last longer, it is nicer to operate too, which encourages, rather than discourages use. Compare $500 worth of crappy gear that rarely gets used and breaks down quickly, as opposed to $2,000 for something you enjoy using a lot and last 10X as long. I will always opt for quality first.

-JIM-

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 26, 2015 09:37 |  #10005

Have you slapped a moose today?  :p

-JIM-

sponsored links

1,384,172 views & 2,995 likes for this thread
Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.