Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 25 Mar 2015 (Wednesday) 05:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D Mk II or 1D Mk IIN

Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by Kyle Blunt.

Mar 25, 2015 05:16 |  #1

Tricky one I think. To be used for sports photography, so shooting JPEG is a priority.
I can get a MkII for £100 less than a N. Would it be an upgrade compared to my 50D??
I am considering a 1D Mk III but the AF issues on early models is a concern.

Any opinions??
Thanks
Kyle

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Website (external link)Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

sponsored links
LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 25, 2015 09:23 |  #2

I have not used a Mark II, I have a IIn and a 1Ds II.

I believe the LCD screen on the IIn is larger, and it has a larger buffer. The transfer rates for an 8mp body are blistering when compared to today's large files, a real plus when in the media center and meeting deadlines. I have printed 16" x 20" and have no reservations about quality.

The interface on both is old school (everything is a two handed operation) but I got used to it very quickly, and transition between my 7d seamlessly. The 1 series are built like tanks and I really like the weather sealing.

I think you would like either body. The IIn is a fun camera, if you can swing the extra cash I would go that way.

-Brian

Jelloneck
694 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2015 09:57 |  #3

I was in your situation a few months back and I ended up going with the 1dIIn. I agree with LARAB the two handed operation takes a bit to get used to, but you do get used to it. I came from a 7d original. I will say the only thing I really truly miss from the newer cameras is auto iso. There are times when I find I wish I could just have the camera pick, specially with a heavy tele lens and having to hold 2 buttons to change.

Everything said I do not regret getting the IIn, but I am considering saving to pickup a 7d2 for times I need more reach and higher iso. Good luck in your decision, sorry I cant speak on the original 1dii. Just make sure you can get by with the max iso of 1600. I personally do not have a problem using it at 1600 and find the noise more than manageable.

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

Kyle ­ Blunt
THREAD ­ STARTER
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 26, 2015 07:57 |  #4

LARAB wrote in post #17491197 (external link)
I have not used a Mark II, I have a IIn and a 1Ds II.

I believe the LCD screen on the IIn is larger, and it has a larger buffer. The transfer rates for an 8mp body are blistering when compared to today's large files, a real plus when in the media center and meeting deadlines. I have printed 16" x 20" and have no reservations about quality.

The interface on both is old school (everything is a two handed operation) but I got used to it very quickly, and transition between my 7d seamlessly. The 1 series are built like tanks and I really like the weather sealing.

I think you would like either body. The IIn is a fun camera, if you can swing the extra cash I would go that way.

-Brian

Jelloneck wrote in post #17491234 (external link)
I was in your situation a few months back and I ended up going with the 1dIIn. I agree with LARAB the two handed operation takes a bit to get used to, but you do get used to it. I came from a 7d original. I will say the only thing I really truly miss from the newer cameras is auto iso. There are times when I find I wish I could just have the camera pick, specially with a heavy tele lens and having to hold 2 buttons to change.

Everything said I do not regret getting the IIn, but I am considering saving to pickup a 7d2 for times I need more reach and higher iso. Good luck in your decision, sorry I cant speak on the original 1dii. Just make sure you can get by with the max iso of 1600. I personally do not have a problem using it at 1600 and find the noise more than manageable.

Fantastic, thanks. I think that has confirmed the purchase of a Mark IIN :-)
With a 2.8, 2, 1.8 etc how is the indoors performance for sports?? I am switching my 70-200 for the 2.8 soon.

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My 500px (external link)

LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by LARAB.

Mar 26, 2015 11:17 |  #5

I shoot outdoors almost exclusively, so I can't say too much about indoor performance. Outdoors, the 70-200 2.8L II seems to be the standard for Cycling events these days. I used the original version (non-is) and found the sweet spot to be f5-5.6 range. I shoot with a 135 f2 often, which can be a bit cruel when shooting wide open at an approaching subject. For more portrait-oriented (post race) stuff I absolutely love the 40mm 2.8 pancake. One of my favorite features - ISO50. On bright sunny days it is a life saver.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3819/9933563323_f930e33c8f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/g8N7​ia  (external link) BMN-130914-1D4753 (external link) by obra2025 (external link), on Flickr

Kyle ­ Blunt
THREAD ­ STARTER
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 27, 2015 11:48 |  #6

LARAB wrote in post #17492758 (external link)
I shoot outdoors almost exclusively, so I can't say too much about indoor performance. Outdoors, the 70-200 2.8L II seems to be the standard for Cycling events these days. I used the original version (non-is) and found the sweet spot to be f5-5.6 range. I shoot with a 135 f2 often, which can be a bit cruel when shooting wide open at an approaching subject. For more portrait-oriented (post race) stuff I absolutely love the 40mm 2.8 pancake. One of my favorite features - ISO50. On bright sunny days it is a life saver.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/g8N7​ia  (external link) BMN-130914-1D4753 (external link) by obra2025 (external link), on Flickr

The ISO 50 is a feature I am very excited to use, especially with aviation work. I managed to pick up a barely used one on eBay with just under 14k actuations so I am super excited!
Having looked up some images from the web, I managed to find some great ones taken in very low light at concerts, even at 1600 this camera is quite good.
I won't be shooting any indoor sports for a while, so I am interested to see how it will cope with the more fast paced stuff like Gymnastics after the summer.
Thanks once again! :-)

My 500px (external link)

sponsored links

1,442 views & 2 likes for this thread
1D Mk II or 1D Mk IIN
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.