Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2015 09:25 |  #1006

tvphotog wrote in post #17492584 (external link)
BTW, Nikon has always had T/S lenses that are priced similarly to the Canon equivalents. Just not in as may focal length varieties. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …de_Angle_PC_E_N​ikkor.html (external link)

It's not that they don't have them.

It's that the Nikon PC-E 24 is crap.

sponsored links
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 26, 2015 09:53 |  #1007

Shadowblade wrote in post #17492586 (external link)
It's not that they don't have them.

It's that the Nikon PC-E 24 is crap.

Oh, didn't know that. I've never shot with it. I'm telling you, all the more reason to stick with Canon and work around the DR issue with the new aR7.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2015 10:12 |  #1008

tvphotog wrote in post #17492627 (external link)
Oh, didn't know that. I've never shot with it. I'm telling you, all the more reason to stick with Canon and work around the DR issue with the new aR7.

That's what I'm currently doing - using an A7r for anything that doesn't move, and intending to get the 50MP Sony once it comes out. Am also considering a 5Ds specifically for wildlife photography, to go with superteles (since DR isn't an issue for Canon once you're shooting ISO 800 or so). But I'd like to have a system where I could actually use lens correction profiles to get rid of CA, which tends to be quite noticeable with high-resolution sensors even when using the best lenses, as well as distortion. Such profiles exist for Canon lenses on Canon bodies, or Nikon lenses on Nikon bodies, or Sony lenses on Sony bodies, but not cross-platform.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,071 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 26, 2015 10:18 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #1009

Lens profiles work fine with Canon-mount lenses on the a7R in Lightroom. They do not work for Nikon-mount lenses on the a7R because the adapters do not transmit the lens EXIF data to the camera or raw file.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Shadowblade.

Mar 26, 2015 10:44 |  #1010

David Arbogast wrote in post #17492671 (external link)
Lens profiles work fine with Canon-mount lenses on the a7R in Lightroom. They do not work for Nikon-mount lenses on the a7R because the adapters do not transmit the lens EXIF data to the camera or raw file.

I don't use Lightroom - I use the Sony RAW converter and Photoshop. Lightroom just doesn't have the masking tools I need, and Sony's Image Data Converter does better with Sony's RAW files than Adobe's converter.

Where can you get profiles for Canon lenses on the A7r? Also Sigma/Zeiss lenses.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,071 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by David Arbogast. (4 edits in all)

Mar 26, 2015 11:18 |  #1011

Shadowblade wrote in post #17492708 (external link)
I don't use Lightroom - I use the Sony RAW converter and Photoshop. Lightroom just doesn't have the masking tools I need, and Sony's Image Data Converter does better with Sony's RAW files than Adobe's converter.

Where can you get profiles for Canon lenses on the A7r?

In the lens tab, you manually select the lens you used. Usually all that is needed is to select the manufacturer and LR will automatically select the lens. But, sometimes overriding it is necessary. For instance, when I select Zeiss, it sees my lens focal length is 55mm and correctly selects Otus 55mm, but it defaults to the Nikon version. However, the Canon-mount (ZE) version can be selected from the profile list manually.

I use Lightroom just for intial raw conversion with lens and camera profile corrections. But, I do my main editing in Photoshop, so I have no need for masking inside Lightroom. The Lightroom to Photoshop exchange is seamless.

I haven't tried the Sony Converter. Is it really far better than ACR? I have seem people claim that other converters (like Capture One) are better just because the default settings look poorer in ACR/Lightroom; but I never work with default settings. I typically use my own custom color profile calibrated to my a7R, so my colors and tones are accurate.

You have me intrigued: I'll give the Sony converter a try...

[EDIT: I downloaded/installed the Sony Image Data Converter and right off, I can see what you mean. Quite a bit better than ACR at first glance. Colors and shading look very good. This is a good addition to my workflow.]

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 26, 2015 11:30 |  #1012

Shadowblade wrote in post #17492187 (external link)
Tilt-shift lenses are used more often in architecture and product photography than landscapes. They just also happen to be useful for landscapes.

If they were actually intended for landscapes, they'd come with a tripod foot, to allow for shift-stitching without moving the lens around.

The fact that they don't have tripod feet is one of the reasons I have never bought one. It seems absurd to me to shift the lens, instead of the body. Shifting the lens is not the same thing as having an elongated sensor; only shifting the sensor is.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2015 11:54 |  #1013

John Sheehy wrote in post #17492777 (external link)
The fact that they don't have tripod feet is one of the reasons I have never bought one. It seems absurd to me to shift the lens, instead of the body. Shifting the lens is not the same thing as having an elongated sensor; only shifting the sensor is.

I bought a separate tripod foot for it.

http://www.hartblei.de​/en/canon-tse-collar.htm (external link)

That way, the lens stays still and you shift the sensor within the image circle.

That said, in most situations (except where subjects are very close to the camera, relative to the focal length) the parallax is minimal and doesn't cause any artifacts when stitching.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Mar 26, 2015 12:02 |  #1014

Shadowblade wrote in post #17492800 (external link)

That way, the lens stays still and you shift the sensor within the image circle.

That said, in most situations (except where subjects are very close to the camera, relative to the focal length) the parallax is minimal and doesn't cause any artifacts when stitching.

Wow! Thats great, especially because the 24mm TSEii is very heavy on the A7R...

But for 500$ he can kiss my ...

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Mar 26, 2015 13:28 |  #1015

Shadowblade wrote in post #17492800 (external link)

I'll probably get one of these ( $500 for a lens collar seems outrageous, but $500 to turn your camera in a 2x MP sensor does seem reasonable if you need the MP - so a 50 MP 36x24 becomes ~100MP 36x48 or 24x60 if you push it all they way. There are 4 Canon T/S lenses and you can use a 1.4x, so the versatility is good - There, I just convinced myself:D:D). I wish he had designed it so it could do rise and fall as well as (lateral) shift. Given the way the collar attaches to the flat sides of the lens they must always be vertical. So you need to tilt the tripod head 90 degrees to do a vertical stitch, right?

My picture galleries (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,777 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2015 15:23 |  #1016

http://www.canonwatch.​com …or-12th-consecutive-year/ (external link) lol canon top dog

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2015 19:12 |  #1017

AJSJones wrote in post #17492934 (external link)
I'll probably get one of these ( $500 for a lens collar seems outrageous, but $500 to turn your camera in a 2x MP sensor does seem reasonable if you need the MP - so a 50 MP 36x24 becomes ~100MP 36x48 or 24x60 if you push it all they way. There are 4 Canon T/S lenses and you can use a 1.4x, so the versatility is good - There, I just convinced myself:D:D). I wish he had designed it so it could do rise and fall as well as (lateral) shift. Given the way the collar attaches to the flat sides of the lens they must always be vertical. So you need to tilt the tripod head 90 degrees to do a vertical stitch, right?

Yep, you need to tilt it 90 degrees for a vertical stitch. But, for a typical landscape, you won't encounter parallax errors when doing a vertical stitch anyway (since the joint between the two frames is usually way off in the distance) so I generally don't bother with the collar when stitching vertically.

Alternatively, I think there's now another collar available that allows for vertical shifting. Not sure who makes it, though.

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Mar 26, 2015 21:41 |  #1018

Shadowblade wrote in post #17493315 (external link)
Yep, you need to tilt it 90 degrees for a vertical stitch. But, for a typical landscape, you won't encounter parallax errors when doing a vertical stitch anyway (since the joint between the two frames is usually way off in the distance) so I generally don't bother with the collar when stitching vertically.

Alternatively, I think there's now another collar available that allows for vertical shifting. Not sure who makes it, though.

Most of the time, agreed. I recall a few shots where the mostly bare branches of a big tree were close and distant and no stitcher could get them right after shifting the lens only

Another collar? We need a collar that itself rotates. Tell me more!!!!

My picture galleries (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 27, 2015 13:12 |  #1019

AJSJones wrote in post #17493439 (external link)
Most of the time, agreed. I recall a few shots where the mostly bare branches of a big tree were close and distant and no stitcher could get them right after shifting the lens only

Another collar? We need a collar that itself rotates. Tell me more!!!!

Can't remember who makes the other one, though.

With the Hartblei, you can also attach the quick-release plate to the side of the foot, rather than at the bottom. This means that you don't have to tilt the head itself to 90 degrees - you merely mount the lens foot sideways in the clamp, so that the tripod head itself is upright, but the collar and foot stick out at 90 degrees to the head rather than on top of it.

alfgardner
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 01, 2015 16:46 as a reply to  @ post 17417329 |  #1020

I have heard that only the highest quality lenses will be able to fully utilize the 5DS(R) 50 Mp sensor. However, this may only be conjecture. I'd hate to spend a fortune on expensive lenses that I already have EF (not L) lenses. Is there any truth to this? Thanks.

sponsored links

295,525 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.