Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Mar 2015 (Friday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

There seems to be no point in buying used gear!

CheleA
354 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 27, 2015 09:11 |  #1

I recently bought a Canon 24-105F4, and am waiting for a 70-200F4 IS to arrive. I had been looking through Craigslist(CL) and Ebay for several months but I just didn't seen any great savings of buying used over new. I bought the 24-105 for $639(free sh, no taxes), through Amazon(white box), the best I found through CL was $600 -- used and without warranty. The 70-200 is going for $950-1050 in Craigslist and I bought it new from B&H for $1099 after a $200 rebate(free sh, no taxes). Even from the well known sites such as KEH, Adorama, and B&H used departments there was not much incentive in buying used vs new:( Mind you, I live in a area with a very active CL community and there is no shortage of Canon gear! I would like an UWA lens(APC) but otherwise, I'm set for quite some time. I was just wondering where might be a good place to get used gear?

sponsored links
Islesfan91
106 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 27, 2015 09:30 |  #2

I’ve been looking for a couple of lenses for the Olympus em1 through craigslist as well and finding the same issues. None of the sellers are more than 50 bucks off retail pricing minus taxes, but without any warranty I’m not spending any money on used unless I’m getting a better deal. I’m using the 12-40 f2.8 lens on it so I’m okay with what I have for now, but it’s frustrating to see people value used gear that highly.

flickr (external link)
website (external link)
canon 6d w/Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC & canon 70-200 F4L IS
olympus om-d e-m1 w/12-40 F2.8 Pro

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 27, 2015 09:45 |  #3

I think it depends on your price sensitivity and your patience. For some $100 difference is a big deal even though for you its not if it means getting a factory warranty.

I find Craigslist on general to be very poor for used gear vs. buying here or on fred Miranda. I see the price savings that usually sell end up being around 20-30% off normal retail mid range gear that I am interested in anyway.

I think the biggest issue with buying on here or fred Miranda is to many people price themselves very close to B&H and adorama used prices. Sometimes the prices are identical so why would I buy from an unknown seller and no warranty vs. a major retailer the offers a warranty between 30-90 days and has a proven track record.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by jptsr1.

Mar 27, 2015 09:48 as a reply to  @ mrfixitx's post |  #4

I bought my 24-105 from Amazon (new) for less than it was going for both here and on EBAY at the time. I agree its all in the timing and about how much risk you are willing to take to save a buck.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 27, 2015 09:54 |  #5

People sell used gear for those prices because that is what the market will support. The typical wisdom is that bodies depreciate quite rapidly but lenses tend to hold their value and it is very true. That doesn't mean there are no deals to be had buying used lenses. I've gotten some extremely good deals buying used lenses but I buy on the forums here and at FM. I avoid eBay. The fee structure makes it near impossible for sellers to offer goods at decent prices without taking a loss. I've never dealt with craigslist but I have bought and sold on local classifieds and have gotten good deals there as well. More often than not the key is patience. You'll get the odd person who wants to unload gear quickly for a lower price. Lastly remember that on forums, there is the asking price and the sale price that you don't see. A polite and reasonable offer on an item will usually result in a better deal.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,561 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 27, 2015 09:58 |  #6

I got some good feedback on buying used in this thread https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1361264

You have to really keep your eye on the market to get a good deal. On the flip side, if you are patient you can do well selling gear. I bought my 70-200 2.8 IS used for a couple of hundred under the current market value at the time (about five years ago). I think if I worked at it I might be able to break even on it today. I could pretty easily sell it for a hundred bucks less than I paid.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

CheleA
THREAD ­ STARTER
354 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 27, 2015 10:01 |  #7

To tell you the truth, it never occurred to me to check this forum for those items. I'll keep it in mind next time.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 27, 2015 10:17 |  #8

CheleA wrote in post #17494017 (external link)
To tell you the truth, it never occurred to me to check this forum for those items. I'll keep it in mind next time.

Well worth it sometimes. Here is a link to the thread concerning some of the marketplace rules. I think you're pretty close to meeting the minimum requirements for access:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1031678

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

CheleA
THREAD ­ STARTER
354 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 27, 2015 10:22 |  #9

nqjudo wrote in post #17494055 (external link)
Well worth it sometimes. Here is a link to the thread concerning some of the marketplace rules. I think you're pretty close to meeting the minimum requirements for access:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1031678

I was looking for the forum, but, now I see why I couldn't see it:) I don't have enough posts. I'm more of a lurker, unless I have something worth contributing:)

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 27, 2015 10:37 |  #10

I've browsed craigslist looking for nothing in particular and it seems that people are asking far too much for used gear. I'd imagine that they're either oblivious to reality (asking close to what they paid several years ago) or else set a high asking price expecting to be talked down.

On the other hand I've bought plenty of used equipment on ebay and have been quite satisfied. You just have to do your research, look at 'sold' listings on ebay and also the 'for sale' forum here for instance.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,087 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 27, 2015 10:41 |  #11

CL in my city is extremely HIGH on used prices. I always see $750-900 on the 24-105. Sellers go by RETAIL and deduct a little bit to make it APPEAR to be a good deal, but it rarely is.

I stick to the classifieds here (or FM) or KEH or refurbs from Canon Direct.
You can avoid strange interactions with others as well. CL brings them out for the woodwork. Plus you never know if the item is stolen or not.

That being said I did purchase a 17-40L for $500 from an AP photographer a year and a half ago. Not quite a "deal" but definitely the going rate at the time.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mainbyte
332 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by mainbyte.

Mar 27, 2015 11:12 |  #12

I have had luck over the years picking up some refurbished lenses from canon. You have to keep an eye open for the bargains though. There are times where they have sale prices posted for one or two items, and sometimes they offer something like a 20% discount on everything. Also, if they do have a good sale you may need to be quick as the lenses will disappear fast!

One nice thing now is that they do offer a 1 year warranty.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …lashes/refurbis​hed-lenses (external link)

Ron

Canon 6D | Canon 7DII | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-300 4/5.6L |100mm f/2.8L macro | 50mm 1.4 | 580exII | 2 - 430exII |

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,087 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 27, 2015 11:14 |  #13

CanonPriceWatch.com
Bookmark it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 27, 2015 12:50 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #14

i just picked up a tamron 24-70/2.8 in what appears to be stellar condition for $750. way cheaper than new.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 27, 2015 13:03 |  #15

Whenever I post stuff on Craigslist, I expect to haggle down a bit. That's how it works. If you post the price you really want, people are going to want to haggle down from that, too.

The 24-105L is kinda an odd bird when it comes to the used & white-box market. Since it's a kit lens with all the better cameras, they're all over the place in brand-new or white-box condition.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

5,087 views & 3 likes for this thread
There seems to be no point in buying used gear!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.