Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Mar 2015 (Friday) 07:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rechargeable batteries for flash?

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 27, 2015 21:31 |  #16

Been using the Powerex 2700mAh for last couple years and still going strong. Typically $25 for 8 at newegg.com but I bought on sale for $20.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

sponsored links
Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Mar 27, 2015 23:13 |  #17

someone0 wrote in post #17494814 (external link)
I agree with all the other. NiMH at this point is much better than alkaline for the flash. Most people will either end up with Eneloop or PowerEX. Two things to notice here.
1. There are two version for both brand, one is design for long shelf life, this would come with around 2000mAH. The other is around 2500+ mAH. That said what long shelf life mean is that it would lose 10% of the capacity if left unuse for a year. Most older NiMH that aren't design with the newer tech will drop all the juice in just a few weeks. But even the newer Eneloop and PowerEX with higher rated capacity would still holding juice very well, it may drop like 5-10% after a month and that is acceptable and ideal for photographers. Which bring me to the 2nd issue, which brand?
2. I would stick with either Eneloop or PowerEX. Most people would still say Eneloop, but there is a good reason to pick one over another. While both are very solid choices, and I mean it. They are not like junkie brand that don't hold the charge after a few charges. The different between the two is how they output the power to flash capacitor. In general you will see that PowerEX would have higher mAH, this roughly translate into more number of pops per charged set. The other different is that while Eneloop has lower rated millIAmpHour, it output at higher voltage. What this translate to is that Eneloop can recycle after each pop faster. We are talking about fraction of a second here. So if you shoot with manual flash with a lot of full power, then Eneloop is probably better, while if you use the flash mainly as fill flash that power mostly at 1/8, 1/16 or even less power(which if you shoot e-TTL as fill flash, that will generally be the case) then PowerEX may be more ideal.

I was surprised at how quickly standard NiMH batteries (e.g. MAHA PowerEX) lose their charge. Wikipedia states: The self-discharge is 5–20% on the first day and stabilizes around 0.5–4% per day at room temperature.
I really think that you need to use them the same day that you remove them from the charger. When I needed a lot of batteries and only had one or two 4-battery chargers, I would start charging 1-2 weeks before I needed the batteries so I would have them all done by the day I needed them. By then, many of the batteries had already lost a significant portion of their charge. What I really needed was to use one of those 16 bank chargers, for example, or use the low self discharge (LSD) batteries instead.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 28, 2015 01:28 as a reply to  @ Bearmann's post |  #18

Maybe you have the older version of PowerEX, the 2700mAH is not a standard discharge NiMH. According to the manufacturer page, it say "up to 1% a day". Personally I never have it discharge that quick. As I tried to explain earlier, both PowerEX 2700mAH and Eneloop XX 2500mAH are engineered similar to the LSD one. If you look at the wiki page, then you can see that the LSD NiMH have some sort of separators inside the AA. Well, these 2700mAH and 2500mAH do also, just not as much. Meaning you get more juice than normal LSD, and it still retain power very well, just not as well as the fully LSD one.
Just a side note, this thread have been here for a while.
Side note, check out this forum. http://forums.whirlpoo​l.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1729150 (external link) somebody actually test these batteries in term of photography usage(flash). And check out page 5. http://forums.whirlpoo​l.net.au …replies.cfm?t=1​729150&p=5 (external link) for the discharge rate after 31 days. I think it will surprise many people.

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Mar 28, 2015 08:33 |  #19

someone0 wrote in post #17495038 (external link)
Maybe you have the older version of PowerEX, the 2700mAH is not a standard discharge NiMH. According to the manufacturer page, it say "up to 1% a day". Personally I never have it discharge that quick. As I tried to explain earlier, both PowerEX 2700mAH and Eneloop XX 2500mAH are engineered similar to the LSD one. If you look at the wiki page, then you can see that the LSD NiMH have some sort of separators inside the AA. Well, these 2700mAH and 2500mAH do also, just not as much. Meaning you get more juice than normal LSD, and it still retain power very well, just not as well as the fully LSD one.
Just a side note, this thread have been here for a while.
Side note, check out this forum. http://forums.whirlpoo​l.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1729150 (external link) somebody actually test these batteries in term of photography usage(flash). And check out page 5. http://forums.whirlpoo​l.net.au …replies.cfm?t=1​729150&p=5 (external link) for the discharge rate after 31 days. I think it will surprise many people.

The wiki article was referring to NiMH in general, not the PowerEX specifically, but did have multiple references for the statement. I didn't read the entire thread at whirlpool.net, but I think it pre-dated the Eneloop Pro's. It would have been nice to have those in the mix.

Lets not forget the classic test done right here at POTN: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=677074

My problem is that I only use the batteries sporadically. Because the standard NiMH batteries lose their charge faster, I seem to get more of these batteries entering a zero charge, high resistance state and can no longer be recharged. If I was methodical and recharged all my batteries at least every quarter, it could probably be prevented. Although the whirlpool.net thread shows that they don't lose much of their charge in the first 30 days when new, I'm not sure that the same holds true after the batteries have been used for a year or two. I have enough batteries right now, but I plan to try the AmazonBasic High Capacity batteries (Eneloop Pro's rebadged?) the next time I need batteries, and perhaps make these my batteries of choice if they work out. They seem like they would do well in the price performance category. Not saying that a brand new set of PowerEx wouldn't have a greater capacity, but that over the long run I seem to get longer use out of the LSD batteries.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 28, 2015 21:30 |  #20

That make sense if you only use them a few times a year. I don't go shoot every weekend either, but I charge them up at least once a quarter. I got 16 of those PowerEX 2700 for about 2 years now. And they are still kicking. Yes they would lose some charge now if I pickup over a week, but still as strong as Eneloop, as I have 2 set of those as well. I figure if I charge them the night before I have to use them then it wouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe in a year time, I would look for deals and start replacing them. That said, considering they are specifically branded as LSD, they are working very well. Back then the LSD one would be price double or triple the PowerEX. Now a day if I need to buy any it would be LSD.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,913 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 29, 2015 20:02 |  #21

Duraloops here. Current ones are Eneloop XXs I think.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

Daniel.E
177 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 09, 2015 14:55 |  #22

I'm about to buy some Amazon Basics for my flashes but don't know which ones to get... the 2000mAh or the 2400mAh. The cycle life apparently is very different between the two.

5D2 | 50mm f1.4 USM | 85mm f1.8 USM | 135mm f/2L
Contax T | Fuji Klasse S | Canon 1N | Pentax 645N | Rolleiflex 2.8F | Norita 66 | Hasselblad 500 c/m | Pentax 67 | Shen Hao 4x5
MM profile (external link)

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 09, 2015 15:22 as a reply to  @ Daniel.E's post |  #23

These are the ones I get.

http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o03_s00 (external link)

Don't get the black ones.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

King22
60 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 09, 2015 15:47 |  #24

vertigo235 wrote in post #17590478 (external link)
These are the ones I get.

http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o03_s00 (external link)

Don't get the black ones.

What is wrong with the black ones?

7D| Σ 50mm f/1.4 | 24-105 L

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 09, 2015 16:13 |  #25

King22 wrote in post #17590512 (external link)
What is wrong with the black ones?

See page 1, post #5. White comes from Japan and black from China. No evidence seems to have been presented to back up the Chinese made product being inferior.

Daniel.E
177 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by Daniel.E.

Jun 09, 2015 16:15 |  #26

The Hi-Capacity version, the black ones, are made in Japan
*Correct link*
http://www.amazon.com …&keywords=Amazo​nBasics+aa (external link)

Contax T | Fuji Klasse S | Canon 1N | Pentax 645N | Rolleiflex 2.8F | Norita 66 | Hasselblad 500 c/m | Pentax 67 | Shen Hao 4x5

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 09, 2015 19:46 |  #27

Daniel.E wrote in post #17590540 (external link)
The Hi-Capacity version, the black ones, are made in Japan http://www.amazon.com …02_t_img_lh?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Why are you comparing AAA batteries to the AA? I don't think there is any photography gears I own use AAA, I think other are the same.

Daniel.E
177 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by Daniel.E.

Jun 09, 2015 20:12 as a reply to  @ someone0's post |  #28

My mistake, I just grabbed the first one that appeared without looking. Here's the correct one http://www.amazon.com …&keywords=Amazo​nBasics+aa (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 09, 2015 20:14 |  #29

My triggers use AAA.

I have around 3 dozen Eneloop AA, 1 dozen Eneloop AAA and 1 dozen Amazon Basics black AA (didn't know there was a difference at the time between black and white). All work fantastic and hold a charge for weeks. I do have a 16-bay charger and will top them all off the day before an event.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 09, 2015 20:48 |  #30

I have 16 bank charger also and 2 other 4 bank chargers. That read each cell charge seperately. Still, considering the price of amazon basic, why not wait for sale and get the Eneloop for just a few dollars more per 4 or 8 cells?

sponsored links

8,367 views & 4 likes for this thread
Rechargeable batteries for flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.