Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reccommed me an upgrade!

NesianStyle
74 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 28, 2015 01:26 |  #1

So the camera has been gathering dust for the last 2 years and so I dusted it off to take some photos of my girls playing basketball. It's a little 400d and I think it's time for an upgrade so as I haven't been doing any photo stuff for the last couple of years I have no idea what is the best bang for the buck.

I would like to stay with canon but could you give me an idea of what I should be buying now, keep in mind that I'm not looking at doing this professionally and I just enjoy taking sport photos mainly. The added advantage of video is a big plus too as my camera obviously doesn't have it.

Any help is appreciated!

Vivitar 285hv (external link)

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 28, 2015 01:40 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

NesianStyle wrote in post #17495035 (external link)
So the camera has been gathering dust for the last 2 years and so I dusted it off to take some photos of my girls playing basketball. It's a little 400d and I think it's time for an upgrade so as I haven't been doing any photo stuff for the last couple of years I have no idea what is the best bang for the buck.

I would like to stay with canon but could you give me an idea of what I should be buying now, keep in mind that I'm not looking at doing this professionally and I just enjoy taking sport photos mainly. The added advantage of video is a big plus too as my camera obviously doesn't have it.

Any help is appreciated!

The two best bargains in the DSLR world right now are the 60D and 7D. Either can do sports. Both can easily be pushed to ISO 6400. AF on the 7D is superior to the 60D.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

NesianStyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 28, 2015 02:33 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #3

Thanks for that. I don't even know if I can buy the 60d in NZ mainstream stores anymore and a 7D MII is way out of my price range or more like the Mrs wouldn't let me spend that much on camera ($2800) just for the body in NZ.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 28, 2015 07:56 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

NesianStyle wrote in post #17495100 (external link)
Thanks for that. I don't even know if I can buy the 60d in NZ mainstream stores anymore and a 7D MII is way out of my price range or more like the Mrs wouldn't let me spend that much on camera ($2800) just for the body in NZ.

I meant the original 7D, not the 7DII. I picked one up used for 475 USD. Of course, NZ is not Indiana.

Shootem
28 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 28, 2015 08:14 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #5

I can't speak highly enough of the Canon 70d. It takes excellent pictures and video. Also has wi fi and a flip lcd display.

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 28, 2015 08:38 |  #6

I second the 70D. I loved mine. It's fast and has great video. Not much more then the 60d/7d.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 28, 2015 10:02 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I have to concede that if you do video, the 70D is certainly the better choice. Add STM lenses to that and you've got video nirvana. The 7D is less expensive, but not by a huge amount. The 7D also has 5 AF modes, compared to the 70D with 3. The 7D will likely be years older, too.

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 28, 2015 10:06 |  #8

70D will fit the bill. The new rebel T6 series is another option but is not scheduled to start shipping for another month.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,874 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 28, 2015 12:11 |  #9

NesianStyle wrote in post #17495035 (external link)

Any help is appreciated!

Heya,

We need a budget really. Otherwise, you're going to get tons of out of your price range recommendations.

I'll go another direction, and ask what lenses you currently are using and have? The 400D is a fairly capable camera. Are the sports indoors or outdoors? The 400D can do outdoor sports just fine! Indoor it might struggle a little as you will max out the ISO to freeze motion, but it's still ok for some work in there too if it's decently lit. But, the lens matters here. Were you using a kit lens? Was it a slower zoom? Or were you using a faster wide aperture prime? You can get so much more for your money sometimes by using appropriate glass for the task.

Depending on budget:

Look for a used T3i (600D) (has good ISO, video, etc, modern, but not too expensive). And look for a used EF 85 F1.8 lens (if you don't already have one).

Look for a used 7D, and again, an EF 85 F1.8 lens.

Stress picking up a fast telephoto prime. Adding 2~3 stops of light from that, instead of trying to use slow glass and max out ISO, will give you better quality images. If in a dark gym, you will still max out ISO even on the fastest glass.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,377 posts
Gallery: 586 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 28, 2015 12:35 |  #10

I'd be asking myself why the 400D was collecting dust. What are the chances the new camera will start collecting dust too? If that is likely to happen stick with the 400D. It can collect dust as well as any camera on the market.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2015 15:31 |  #11

The most often recommended settings for youth basketball: ISO 6400, f/2.8 and SS 1/640 sec. There is a 100% chance of getting motion blur with a SS below 1/500 sec.

Cameras: The 60D ($479 US) is currently a real bargain in the U.S. The 7D is another bargain @ $749 US. One of the Rebels (T5i/700D @ $599 US) is a possibility. The 70D ($999 US) would be great if it is within your budget.

Lens: One version of a 70-200mm f/2.8 would be the best choice except all are expensive. The Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a bargain and would be very useful for basketball IF there is sufficient room for a lens of that focal length. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a possibility if you can get a good deal. I purchased one used for 1/2 retail and it is okay for fun, memento type photos. I do not recommend paying full retail, it is not that good.

Expect to pay at least $1,000 US ($2,000 US would be better) to get a camera with decent high ISO capability and a fast lens. Buying used can save a lot of money, especially for a camera body. Sports photography is not cheap!

Note: Lighting in some gyms is too dark for action photos without having a fast lens and a camera like the 1DX. Talk to someone that is familiar with the places where your girls will be playing. Don't spend a lot of money then discover you won't be able to get good photos.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 28, 2015 15:36 |  #12

C Scott IV wrote in post #17495513 (external link)
I'd be asking myself why the 400D was collecting dust. What are the chances the new camera will start collecting dust too? If that is likely to happen stick with the 400D. It can collect dust as well as any camera on the market.

this

what lenses are you using as well...you may notice more with an upgrade there...but at the end of the day, if you're not using the 400D, you need to figure out why

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

NesianStyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 29, 2015 02:29 |  #13

Thanks for the responses.

I only have 2 kit lenses the EF-S 18-55mm and the EF-S 55-250mm plus I have a EF 50mm. The 50mm lens is the one I normally use for basketball shots as the gyms I tend to shoot in aren't quite bright enough for the 250mm but I still manage to get some decent action shots with the 50mm although I have to be quite close to courtside.

As I'm not looking at making money from it my budget is quite small, around $1000 I would be quite happy to part with if it's going to make a decent difference.

I like the thought of upgrading as most of the latest canon have video which means I don't have to carry around my ZI8 to shoot video when I want to.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 29, 2015 08:31 |  #14

760D due April/may. Well in budget and virtually like a 70D but newer.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links

2,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reccommed me an upgrade!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.