Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 28 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 23:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D, 70D, 7DMII, versus my 6D

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 28, 2015 23:22 |  #1

Hey guys. I started things off with a rebel t2i, then moved to a t4i. They were a great introduction to DSLR photography. I then traded up to a 6D which I use now. The 6D is great, but I find I miss my t4i, am I crazy? I would take my t4i with me everywhere with a Sigma 30mm and I loved the picture quality.

With the 6D I have teamed it with a Canon 50mm 1.4 and I'm not feeling the same magic. I do family events and family photos. Reading here and other places, the 6D should be the camera I want. But I feel like I want my old camera/lenses back. Am I crazy? I go back and forth thinking it's all in my head.

When I think I'm not crazy I look at my options and I see a lot of 7s. I'm guessing they would all perform as well or better than my t4i. If I make the change I'd need to edit my lens line-up. I'd want to get a good 30mm and need to get a bit wider overall. I didn't have my Canon 24-105 with my t4i and do not know how well it works with a crop. Before, I had a faster Sigma zoom I liked.

Should I stick with the 6D and give it more of a chance? Am I just crazy? Or is it possible I just fancy a crop? I told my buddy I was thinking about getting rid of my 6D and he thought I was nuts. I'm a big believer that it's 90% shooter and 10% gear and maybe that's part of why I feel this way, I don't know. I'd love to hear any thoughts. Thanks!

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,276 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 28, 2015 23:37 |  #2

What did you feel was lacking that moved you away from the t4i and what feature(s) do you think a '7' will provide that will benefit you more than the t4i? What do you feel the 6D is lacking in features or performance compared to the t4i? Personally I use both a crop and FF body because while your 90% shooter and 10% gear argument has a lot of merit you still need the right tool for the job. If a feeling or simple preference for crop gear means the right tool for you that's valid as well. If it makes you a happy shooter who's to say otherwise?

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Matrim33.

Mar 28, 2015 23:58 |  #3

Thank you nqjudo. My issues with the t4i were mainly low light performance and high iso noise. The 6D is far better with both, and I also like the wifi feature. The FF talk here is also very seductive :-). As I moved forward with this as a hobby I figured I'd upgrade my gear.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,858 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 29, 2015 00:01 |  #4

Nothing wrong with a crop camera.

The 50 1.4 isn't really a well regarded lens. Have you done MFA? Have you tried MF?

When I went back to FF I realized just how good my 85 performed. Same for the 70-200.

Guess what I'm saying is that when you go FF you really need to upgrade all your glass as well. Crop lenses are much easier to build than FF, and Moderate quality FF lenses will perform better on crop because you are using the sweet spot.

Try a sig 50 A on your 6D vs the 30 on crop and see what you think.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,276 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 29, 2015 00:15 |  #5

Matrim33 wrote in post #17496187 (external link)
Thank you nqjudo. My issues with the t4i were mainly low light performance and high iso noise. The 6D is far better with both, and I also like the wifi feature. The FF talk here is also very seductive :-). As I moved forward with this as a hobby I figured I'd upgrade my gear.

I've never shot with a t4i but I can well imagine the 6D being far superior in terms of low light and noise. I shoot with a 5D3 and a 7D2. They are both extraordinary cameras and worlds apart. You don't have to do anything more than peruse the respective galleries to see how differently the two communities use the cameras. Not that they don't have a degree of redundancy but again, the right tool for the job is always easier. You mentioned the seduction of FF talk and my best advice on that subject is to try to keep it real. Don't buy a camera based on how great you think some other member's pics are or how much you would like to be this or that type of shooter. Buy your gear for who you are, what you shoot and how that gear will help you achieve those goals. I've been seduced here and there for a periods but I always come back to shoot the same things I've been shooting forever because that's really what I love to shoot. I suggest that you borrow or rent a 7 if you can. That will probably be less costly than another swap. Best of luck in your search.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 29, 2015 00:21 |  #6

MFA, MF?

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17496191 (external link)
Moderate quality FF lenses will perform better on crop because you are using the sweet spot.

Maybe that's it. The Sigma was brilliant, but I haven't felt the same for the Canon 50mm.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 29, 2015 00:40 |  #7

nqjudo wrote in post #17496210 (external link)
I've never shot with a t4i but I can well imagine the 6D being far superior in terms of low light and noise. I shoot with a 5D3 and a 7D2. They are both extraordinary cameras and worlds apart. You don't have to do anything more than peruse the respective galleries to see how differently the two communities use the cameras. Not that they don't have a degree of redundancy but again, the right tool for the job is always easier. You mentioned the seduction of FF talk and my best advice on that subject is to try to keep it real. Don't buy a camera based on how great you think some other member's pics are or how much you would like to be this or that type of shooter. Buy your gear for who you are, what you shoot and how that gear will help you achieve those goals. I've been seduced here and there for a periods but I always come back to shoot the same things I've been shooting forever because that's really what I love to shoot. I suggest that you borrow or rent a 7 if you can. That will probably be less costly than another swap. Best of luck in your search.

Maybe this was a good adventure to find the perfect camera for me ;-)a I will try and get my hands on some of these cameras to test them out. Thank you.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,858 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 29, 2015 08:38 |  #8

Matrim33 wrote in post #17496216 (external link)
MFA, MF?

Maybe that's it. The Sigma was brilliant, but I haven't felt the same for the Canon 50mm.

MFA is micro focus adjust. Your 6D has it, don't think the less expensive crops do.

MF, manual focus. Just a quick way to see if you get better results than with AF, auto focus. I ask about those because if sharpness is an issue, working on focus is a great place to start. If focus turns out NOT to be an issue, customizing your Picture Profiles for JPG or working on your RAW post processing is the next step.

I could never bring myself to buy the 50 1.4, not that you can't get good results with it, but by most reports it is a fickle lens. By contrast, the 85mm 1.8 is pretty rock solid, most will say the best bang for the buck lens Canon makes.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 29, 2015 17:52 |  #9

Coming from a 60D/Sigma 30 combo, I also had a hard time replacing it on my 6D. The 40 2.8 pancake was decent, but not altogether a replacement.

The true replacement came when I strapped on the Sigma 50 1.4 Art. Paired up with the 6D it is IMO truly excellent and produces super clean files.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,210 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 29, 2015 18:09 |  #10

when i only had the t4i i didint use the canon 50 1.4 much because it was too long most of the time..but i loved it the few times i used if for portraits or when looking for the dof from the 1.4

when i bought my FF cam i started using it alot more because its alot lighter than my only other lens (24-702.8mkii) and of course because i considered it a nice focal length for a walk around..while i still like it , it is inconsistent , sometimes super sharp other times soft at hight ss and f5.6

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 29, 2015 18:21 |  #11

Are you giving up on a camera body based on your experience with one lens? And the EF 50 1.4 at that?

I never got on with the EF 50 1.4. It just seemed like a fair-weather friend. It was great in optimal conditions, but it ended there for me. I also preferred it as a portrait lens on crop sensors than for any use on FF.

Please try some other lenses on your 6d--anything. The 40mm pancake, 35 f/2 old or new, 85 f/1.8 are a few examples. There certainly aren't any complaints about the 24-70 mk2 other than price.

I love the Sigma 50 Art. The non-art might be good too, but I wouldn't know for lack of personal experience.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2015 06:12 |  #12

maybe go and rent the Sigma 50 Art and use it on your 6D and see if you feel "the magic" with the 6D. I've heard the Canon 50 1.4 is a love hate relationship so it could simply be the Canon 50 1.4 is blocking the magic for you.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 30, 2015 13:14 |  #13

i had the canon 50mm 1.4. Didnt really like it and ended up selling it. Bought the 50 ART and love it. Much different. I'm guessing it's the lens you don't like and not the camera.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Mar 30, 2015 14:44 |  #14

What did you love about the 30mm Sigma on the t4i?
I love its color reproduction, the build quality and the IQ overall. Like you, I haven't found anything in the 50mm range that can quite match it. My 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 seem particularly dull (even though IQ overall is pretty good) in comparison.

You could try a little wider lens, one of the Canon 35mm's, or indeed the Sigma's bigger brother, the 35mm Art. It'll give you a little wider FOV, but it might bring back a bit of the magic you're looking for.

Going back to a 7 or a 70 might not be the only solution ;).

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 04, 2015 13:40 as a reply to  @ DoughnutPhoto's post |  #15

Thank you all. I may try getting my hands on the 50mm art to give it a try. I've read that the IQ is amazong but the bokeh isn't. What I loved most about the t4i/30mm Sigma (old 30, not art) was the creamy bokeh. I was constantly wowed by it. Below is the first photo I took with the 30mm, without effort the bokeh was amazing. I haven't been able to recreate the creaminess with the 6D.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

4,871 views & 2 likes for this thread
7D, 70D, 7DMII, versus my 6D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.