Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 03:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #527 - Glass

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Raven.

Mar 24, 2015 03:39 |  #1

Challenge #527 - Glass

This week your mission is to shoot glass (sounds fun already). Any glass, any shape, any color. With one exception: no transparent glass panes (ie. windows/mirrors) unless they play a very small role. Stained glass is OK.
Should be an easy one. Use your imagination and have fun.

Results:
I have to say that I liked each and every photo this week. Of course, that makes the judging even harder.

Jim Askew - Venetian Glass: I really liked this photo the moment I first saw it. Not only is each piece a work of art. But the composition as a whole is a work of art in itself. Nicely shot.

teekay - Glass on the Grass: A very colorful and beautiful display of glass. I looked at every piece and decided I liked the tall centerpiece the best. Nice lighting. Of course it would have been a bit better if a head wasn't sticking up above the display case. :-) But that's sometimes very hard to avoid in public situations like this. Nicely done!

Maureen - Sad Saxophone Player: A very nice ceramic piece. You can almost hear a sad tune coming from the saxophone. And you nailed the lighting perfectly.

corythosaurus - Glass Chandelier: What an awesome sculpture. It looks like it must be immense. Love the lighting. Is this, perhaps, a Dale Chihuly sculpture?

Spoco57 - Light Bulb!: A very interesting antique store display and different take on the subject. Any idea how old it is? A bit tight on the cropping, perhaps, but a very nice photo nonetheless.

Rafael - old Mexican glass: A very nice composition and some very nice glass. You captured a very intimate mood with this photo.
Mexico does have some excellent artists. I've been collecting talavera pottery for several years.

Well, I wish we could have ties in these contests. If so, all would place in the top three.
But we don't so it worked out this way:

3rd place: corythosaurus - Glass Chandelier
2nd place: teekay - Glass on the Grass
1st place: Jim - Venetian Glass

Thanks again for so many nice entries.
Looking forward to what you come up with, Jim!

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model.
Post until Monday noon GMT, Monday 30th March 2015.

Photo Submissions
1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting

• One photo per photographer in each challenge.
  • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
  • Camera model.
  • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

sponsored links
JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2015 15:28 |  #2

Venetian Glass
G11

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by teekay. (2 edits in all)

Mar 24, 2015 18:52 |  #3

"Glass On The Grass" show, 2003

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

G1

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,257 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 24, 2015 22:53 |  #4

Sad Saxophone Player

Pro1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,746 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 25, 2015 14:23 |  #5

Glass Chandelier

G10

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i212.photobucke​t.com …IMG_0006A_zpsdq​5qo5v9.jpg (external link)
on photobucket

Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 28, 2015 05:37 |  #6

Light Bulb!
G1X

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7282/16746239147_82fb853e34_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rvNR​ta  (external link) light bulb (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 29, 2015 20:58 |  #7

old mexican glass

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/527_glass_CRW_1934_960.jpg
powershot Pro1

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Raven
THREAD ­ STARTER
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 30, 2015 11:44 |  #8

Contest is now closed.
Thanks for the excellent entries, everyone.
Will be back later today with the results.

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 31, 2015 06:48 as a reply to  @ Raven's post |  #9

Congrats everyone, and great choices Raven, they were spot-on. I really loved the color and variety. Congrats on the winning photo, Jim! Beautiful.

Hahaha... you caught me on the crop, Raven. It was a museum display and there was a lot of extra stuff going on behind the display, so I chose to crop it as tightly as possible and let the chips fall where they may. As I recall, it's a store display from the 20's/30's.

Thanks for judging so well, and for the topic. I should have more stuff, I live an hour from Corning Glass and their museum is absolutely fabulous. Turned out that most of my good shots were taken with the Olympus I used to have before switching to the G1X. Too bad!

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,746 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 31, 2015 06:59 |  #10

Thanks Raven for hosting and judging. Congrats to both teekay and Jim on their entries!

The chandelier is in the Ritz-Carlton of Denver and it is huge! Not sure of the artist but it is a beautiful piece, all hand-blown glass.

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 31, 2015 11:06 |  #11

Congratulations to Jim on the fine winning shot, and thanks, Raven for the unexpected second place - you are quite right about the distracting figure but it would have been tedious to clone out.

I had liked both Cory's beautiful chandelier and Spoco's lamps better than my own old G1 shot - I actually have an old Edison pointy-tip light bulb that I inherited and it still works.

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by JimAskew.

Mar 31, 2015 11:36 |  #12

Congratulations to: 3rd place: corythosaurus - Glass Chandelier and 2nd place: teekay - Glass on the Grass. Thank you, Jim (Raven) for the 1st place nod! I agree with you that all were winners this week...lots of clever interpretations on the Glass theme.

My photo was made at NYC's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). It is my favorite museum by far...it seems to have been setup with photographers in mind...the lighting is superb and for the most part natural. I have hundreds of photos I made there over the years.

I just put up Challenge #528 - Street Photography -- join this challenge now :-)

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 31, 2015 12:31 |  #13

Congratulations JimAskey, teekay, corythosaurus Those entries were on top of my favorite six entries this week.:).
Thank you Raven, it was another interesting contest.

The two cups in my photo are part of a complete set of dishes, a very special wedding gift (1975)
The bottle of wine, vintage 1999, fetched by my son directly from the aging cellars in Loppiano, Tuscany, Italy :)

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,257 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 31, 2015 17:35 |  #14

Congrats to Jim, Teekay & Cory. I thought this challenge was hard &almost entered a red glass bottle I have but in the end, I want with the Lladro glass. Mostly because I loved the early evening window lighting on it :-)
Thanks for the great competition, Jim!!!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Raven
THREAD ­ STARTER
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 01, 2015 22:50 |  #15

corythosaurus wrote in post #17499083 (external link)
Thanks Raven for hosting and judging. Congrats to both teekay and Jim on their entries!

The chandelier is in the Ritz-Carlton of Denver and it is huge! Not sure of the artist but it is a beautiful piece, all hand-blown glass.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by corythosaurus in
./showthread.php?p=174​99083&i=i253273470
forum: Canon G-series Digital Cameras

That shot puts it in perspective. Amazing.

Here's a link to some photos of Chihuly's work. His workshop is about 30 minutes from where I live. And his art is spread out all over town.
http://www.bing.com …exhibits+2015&F​ORM=IGRE#a (external link)

sponsored links

4,589 views & 1 like for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #527 - Glass
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.