Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 01:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoflex is Closing Business :(

Yaamon
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Yaamon. (2 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2015 01:11 |  #1

Love the durability of there umbrella's, soft boxes and octodome.

I have owned them for the past 4 years and the softbox can take the disassemble and still no tears on any part of the material.

My cheaper fotodiox already ripped from frequent disassemble. The cheaper brand is perfect if you have your own studio and leave them assembled.

Sad to see them go.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 31, 2015 12:44 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I'm on the opposite side: their chinese umbrella was only a few degrees above garbage. I never wanted to buy from them again.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 31, 2015 13:53 |  #3

Is this confirmed or just a rumor?

Alveric, actually I like their umbrellas. The RUT Convertible is quite versatile. Do you know of other compatible clones?

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 31, 2015 14:47 |  #4

EmaginePixel wrote in post #17499498 (external link)

Probably confirmed. (external link).

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 31, 2015 15:52 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

EmaginePixel wrote in post #17499498 (external link)

Alveric, actually I like their umbrellas. The RUT Convertible is quite versatile. Do you know of other compatible clones?

I use Photek brollies: simply better built and quality, they don't start unraveling after the second time you remove the black cover, like the Photoflex I got.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 31, 2015 23:37 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #6

I have photoflex umbrellas that are 25 years old and still operate like new.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Alveric. (2 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2015 23:57 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

CAPhotog wrote in post #17500166 (external link)
I have photoflex umbrellas that are 25 years old and still operate like new.

Bet they weren't made in China back then.

For the record, I don't hate Photoflex. I'm not that sorry to see them go, but on the other hand it does bother me that a number of people have lost their jobs. Whilst the reasons behind the closure are unbeknownst to me and thus I can only speculate –a rather dangerous activity in itself–, I can point out that the decrease in quality might have hurt them somewhat. Funny, companies that once produced top quality products and then started cutting corners and introducing junk made overseas in an attempt to remain competitive in the end didn't. I don't blame the company or companies entirely: we as consumers are to a lesser or greater degree responsible for the quality of goods offered nowadays and for companies foundering.

sincity
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 01, 2015 04:17 |  #8

Hmm, I think us consumers are a fickle bunch. Pocket Wizard was doing good with a reliable radio set, but the cheap chinese is pushing them out. I have wizards that a really old, but still soldier on. Not so much with the chinese clones. And I had good service with Calumet, but they were gone too, as well as other local camera stores.

simonbarker
245 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 01, 2015 09:18 |  #9

sincity wrote in post #17500302 (external link)
Hmm, I think us consumers are a fickle bunch. Pocket Wizard was doing good with a reliable radio set, but the cheap chinese is pushing them out. I have wizards that a really old, but still soldier on. Not so much with the chinese clones. And I had good service with Calumet, but they were gone too, as well as other local camera stores.

Calumet's not gone, you're just in the wrong country.

It's not really the consumers fault here, PocketWizard or whoever are not owed their loyalty they have to keep earning it on a daily basis and if the top end of the market isn't enough for them they've had years to tackle other segments.

I appreciate your point though and it sucks when a local camera shop closes down but I can see why they struggle against the Internet, larger companies and changing times. I regret to think of the history being lost, you can struggle to find information on companies that were trading only a few years ago because most people don't care but it's a niche area after all.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by CAPhotog. (15 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2015 11:23 |  #10

Let's hope it is not a complete dissolution but possibly a reorganization. As for innovations, Photoflex was at the leading edge of bringing studio lighting equipment to an entire generation of photographers in the late 80s-90s. The quality of their umbrellas and introduction of LiteDome softboxes set the standard for many studios. They were the first to introduce quick-release corners to make softbox assembly easier back then. Their assortment of speedrings also made it possible to use their gear with any brand of lighting as well. Their most innovative product was arguably the OctoDome setting a new standard for softboxes and eventually copied by every manufacturer to follow. Nearly every high end fashion photographer used OctoDomes or wanted one, which still sets the standard for similar modifiers to this day. Where Photoflex may have faltered was a lack of continuing innovation and addressing new shooting trends while proliferation of cheaper products was accepted by photographers. They also had missteps investing in electronic development of lighting on the heels of cheaper offerings from the East rather than advancing their highly respected core products of light modifiers and stands. Who would not have been excited to see them introduce a collapsible Octodome or a C-stand for example? Another error was their absence from forums like this and not supporting their talented professionals who loved their products for decades. Had they allowed those professionals to have direct input in development or to actively promote new products, they may have stayed the tide. Still, my fingers are crossed that the brand sticks around and I will continue to use my Photoflex gear for years to come. I should also add the people at Photoflex were always good and exhibited great values of a small company seeking quality without industry gimmicks.

ThreeHounds
846 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 01, 2015 11:29 |  #11

sincity wrote in post #17500302 (external link)

Calumet is reorganizing. 3 Chicago area stores are open and they have a store on Amazon http://www.amazon.com …=n%3A172282%2Ck​%3Acalumet (external link)

I've placed several orders. They have been filled quickly and the gear is the same as before the implosion.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,931 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoflex is Closing Business :(
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.