Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 10:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox AR400

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,918 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 29, 2015 10:13 |  #1

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8729/16960414935_e09173c70c_c.jpg

Godox AR400 RingFlash
Powerful Ring Flash //AR400

As a valuable product in Witstro series, Powerful Ring Flash AR400 offers shadow-free illumination and even light effects with strong power and portable body. The brand-new lithium battery unibody design gives you better light experience.

Main Features:

* Even illumination and versatility
As a ring flash, AR400 adopts ring head to achive shadow-free illumination; as a LED video light , AR400 is equipped with LED bulbs to adjust the light brightness, which offers stable light source for photography; as a outdoor flash, AR400 is light and portable, which meets the demands of outdoor photography.

* Strong power and abundant functions
AR400 has 400W strong power and 22 steps of power control (1/1~1/128). It supports S1/S2 slave triggering, RPT stroboscopic flash, high-speed sync, etc.

* Professional lithium battery
AR400 provides professional lithium battery (11.1V/4500mAh) with over 450 times power output and 0.05-2.8s recycle time. The battery charger is included in the accessories to guarantee the whole photography process.

* Wireless remote control
Use a FT-16 wireless power-control flash trigger (sold separately) to control the flash’s power output and other functions.

* Convenient accessories
AR400 is equipped with folding light bracket, umbrella bracket, diffusion cover, etc. All the accessories are easy to be installed and detached, which is helpful for achieving creative light effects.

http://www.godox.com …_Powerful_Ring_​Flash.html (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-NBxv9Fwk0U (external link)

I AM SHOM

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,898 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 29, 2015 12:03 |  #2

Good stuff there Scott. I always appreciate your posting of info, reviews and girls;-)a

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

calico
59 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 01, 2015 16:33 |  #3

Do you know if modelling light goes off when flash kicks in?
Thanks a lot

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 01, 2015 17:46 |  #4

Does Cheetahstand carry this product?

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,918 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 01, 2015 18:27 |  #5

calico wrote in post #17501016 (external link)
Do you know if modelling light goes off when flash kicks in?
Thanks a lot

No it stays on till you turn it off

idkdc wrote in post #17501114 (external link)
Does Cheetahstand carry this product?

Not at this time
since the lack of responses it probably wont be.

I AM SHOM

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 14, 2015 19:03 |  #6

Flashpoint from Adorama just started distributing this a day or so ago. Good news if anyone else is looking for a copy with a US warranty / people to talk to in the US. Good experience so far with my Flashpoint 360, two more in the mail.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 08, 2015 11:15 |  #7

Found an issue with the internal wiring in the AR400 batteries or at the least the two I own. The wire from the battery to the contact strip is routed up and over the battery and in one of my batteries the wire was severely pinched between the battery and the case but it was the fact that there was no slack in the wire which pulled the connector loose thus no battery power to the flash. I rerouted the wire around the side of the battery and now my flash is back working. So if your flash does not turn on and your battery is fully charged then more than likely you have the same issue.

Rand

Gear

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 08, 2015 19:06 |  #8

I took a long look at this a while back and considered getting one. I wish it could take some modifiers. Even a reflector would be nice.

It's a pretty cool idea, though. TTL would be another killer feature to have.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by idkdc.

Oct 10, 2015 23:08 |  #9

I have oneone now and it's been pretty useless to me.

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 11, 2015 06:34 as a reply to  @ idkdc's post |  #10

I'm curious, mind telling us why? I am planning to have one too but I fear the same thing.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by idkdc. (7 edits in all)

Oct 12, 2015 10:29 |  #11

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17740994 (external link)
I'm curious, mind telling us why? I am planning to have one too but I fear the same thing.

Sure thing.

• It's too heavy/bulky.

a) for hand-held, on-camera use as a ring light.
    b) for off-camera, light-stand-mounted use with a Manfrotto 462RC ballhead. It's heavier than many camera and lens setups.

• Its use is limited to umbrellas under 48 inches or as a ring light or bounced off of a ceiling, wall or larger light modifier (in which case, any flash will do). The umbrella mount is simply not sturdy enough, so I end up having to use two light stands and a sturdy umbrella tilt adapter for a larger umbrella (86 inch).
  • I don't like the on-axis ring look as you have to get close up to your model for it to be soft enough, in which case perspective is unflattering.
  • So it really only serves these purposes, severely limiting its versatility for the amount of space it takes up in my bag (maybe two or three Godox AD360's, can't remember as my rolling bag is at home right now):

a) as a cruddy on-axis ring light
    b) as a key light with large umbrella for full body portraits with two separate light stands, a ballhead for tilting the ring light itself and an umbrella adapter for the second stand (or smaller size umbrella using the included mount and one light, but still need a ballhead or tilt adapter and 5/8th screw pin/spigot for the light itself, which only includes standard tripod screw hole and not a standard light stand receptacle).
    c) as a fill light for head shots positioned reallly close to the face
    d) as a key/fill light bounced, in which there's too much spill/lack of control compared to a softbox+gridded bare bulb light or normal monolight / flash head+pack

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 12, 2015 20:06 |  #12

idkdc wrote in post #17742374 (external link)
Sure thing.
  • It's too heavy/bulky.

b) for off-camera, light-stand-mounted use with a Manfrotto 462RC ballhead. It's heavier than many camera and lens setups.

• Its use is limited to umbrellas under 48 inches or as a ring light or bounced off of a ceiling, wall or larger light modifier (in which case, any flash will do). The umbrella mount is simply not sturdy enough, so I end up having to use two light stands and a sturdy umbrella tilt adapter for a larger umbrella (86 inch).
  • I don't like the on-axis ring look as you have to get close up to your model for it to be soft enough, in which case perspective is unflattering.
  • So it really only serves these purposes, severely limiting its versatility for the amount of space it takes up in my bag (maybe two or three Godox AD360's, can't remember as my rolling bag is at home right now):

b) as a key light with large umbrella for full body portraits with two separate light stands, a ballhead for tilting the ring light itself and an umbrella adapter for the second stand (or smaller size umbrella using the included mount and one light, but still need a ballhead or tilt adapter and 5/8th screw pin/spigot for the light itself, which only includes standard tripod screw hole and not a standard light stand receptacle).
    d) as a key/fill light bounced, in which there's too much spill/lack of control compared to a softbox+gridded bare bulb light or normal monolight / flash head+pack

Thanks for the info. It sure has good features but versatility is the downside of this product I guess.

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,918 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 12, 2015 20:43 |  #13

works pretty darn good with a 7' para use it as a fill all the time

I AM SHOM

Nismode
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 10, 2016 06:23 |  #14

abbadon31 wrote in post #17743106 (external link)
works pretty darn good with a 7' para use it as a fill all the time

How bright are the modeling light LEDs?

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R (x2)|EOS RP|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro OS
Godox AD600|Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 26, 2016 18:11 |  #15

idkdc wrote in post #17742374 (external link)
Sure thing.
  • It's too heavy/bulky.

If you watch the video, you can see how to use one stand with a large umbrella. Use an umbrella adapter to hold the umbrella and connect the ring flash's bracket to the top of the umbrella adapter.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

7,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Godox AR400
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.