Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 02 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portraits of my Girlfriend

BadAppleArts
125 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 02, 2015 13:40 |  #1

Some recent photos with my girlfriend as the subject. Been doing photography for about 3 years but only my second time doing portraits. C&C welcome, that's actually the reason I posted!

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8701/16391373763_127974164f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qYs5​mt  (external link)
Mercy - Buford (external link) by Zachary Pounds (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8753/16985517656_f5b08270d0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rSXd​CG  (external link)
Mercy - Buford (external link) by Zachary Pounds (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D Mk II Gripped | 50mm STM | 17-40L | 85mm 1.8
Flickr (external link) | Instagram: @zacharypounds

sponsored links
lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 02, 2015 13:52 |  #2

Both images look front focused, bricks on #1 and post on #2.

How about bringing her out so shes not hiding behind something?

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

BadAppleArts
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 02, 2015 13:57 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #3

I did that, but my camera's auto focus is a little off because it only focuses on the left upper corner when looking through the view finder. I had to manually focus these and that got the focus off a little with the use of my 50mm at 1.8.

Other shots with her at the forefront weren't any good for one reason or another. Any other critiques or solutions to auto focus issues?

lilkngster
721 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 02, 2015 14:24 as a reply to  @ BadAppleArts's post |  #4

Not quite sure what you mean by only focusing in the left upper corner, to me it sounds like your AF system is broken and it needs to be fixed, but I assume you would have said that and not looking for a solution.

One issue with the rebel is you cannot manually adjust the autofocus so if you lens is off, which happens more than you would like to think, it will never correct itself when using the viewfinder. Solutions for you, use live view and focus that way, it uses a different technique and would be more accurate or use magic lantern with focus peaking. You could send in your camera and lens and have them calibrated with each other, epsecially if under warrranty. Replace your focusing screen for one that will better show the DOF when using fast lenses.

further critiques:

Im not a fan of black clothes with black hair (roots), everything just merges into one big black blob.

too much brick in #1 for a portrait and of course the focusing brings my eyes to the wall and less to her.

I like the face and expression in #2. I dont like the color scheme oranges red hair tips, orangish red background and way too busy with all the writing. A little underexposed and I still do not like the big pole splitting her body into two.

maybe have your background further away so you can get better isolation.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,217 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 02, 2015 15:38 |  #5

BadAppleArts wrote in post #17502183 (external link)
I did that, but my camera's auto focus is a little off because it only focuses on the left upper corner when looking through the view finder. I had to manually focus these and that got the focus off a little with the use of my 50mm at 1.8.

Other shots with her at the forefront weren't any good for one reason or another. Any other critiques or solutions to auto focus issues?

Do you mean only the focus point in the upper left is active?

If so, simply rest it so the center focus point is active then use focus and recompose. Choosing what focus point is active, one or all, is pretty simple. That's a pretty important thing to have set properly.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

BadAppleArts
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 02, 2015 16:18 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #6

I think the auto focus is broken because it does this with every lens and I never turn the AF off. I have used the live view a lot more recently because of this issue, I guess I should have here as well.. Is that something that a shop would be able to fix?

Best way I can explain it is that when looking through the traditional view finder is it will only focus on whatever is in the upper left focal point. So when I hit the shutter button to focus, it focuses only there instead of where it should. It doesn't matter where the subject is in the frame, it could focus on a tree 50 feet away with a car in the frame less than 10 feet away.

As for the critiques, I understand the black clothes and dark hair, I will consider that next time when shooting.

I could have used a different pole with a less busy background. I didn't think it would be a big deal with the shorter depth of field but I guess it is.

Next time I take her to do photos it will be in a park so they should turn out better in terms of background and hopefully with use of the live view, with better focus as well.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,217 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 02, 2015 17:58 |  #7

Please understand, I mean no offense, do you know how to and have you tried to change the focus point?

If you do and have tried to change it and it doesn't then, yes, that's a problem.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

lilkngster
721 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 02, 2015 19:10 as a reply to  @ BadAppleArts's post |  #8

Which mode are you shooting in? In the basic modes, including the green box mode, the camera will pick what it thinks is the appropriate focus point(s). If you are using M, Av, Tv, or P modes, you are able to manually select the AF point to use. I agree with saea501, I am guessing you are in one of those modes and selected that point accidentally.

Push the button right behind the right strap lug (looks like a rectangle cut into 4 pieces) when you are in a shooting mode. Your LCD will change to a pattern that looks like you AF points. I am guessing top left will be highlighted. You can use your arrows to pick which point you want or you can use the scrolly wheel next to your right index finger and scroll through your options. Having them all lit means camera will pick for you. You center focus point is the best one and that should be your default. Play around and figure out the quirks of the AF system.

Download or open your manual. All this is on page 100.

BadAppleArts
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 03, 2015 08:22 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #9

You're fine. But no I didn't know how to change it. I had checked in the settings but it was a few days ago. I don't remember seeing anything about changing the focal point or really anything near that advance for the auto focus but I will check out what lilkngster said and refer to the manual if I need to. I don't have my camera on me right now but will look into it when I can. Thanks you all!

Anything else for the photo critique?

BadAppleArts
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 03, 2015 08:23 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #10

Thanks, I'll check into it when I'm around my camera.

BadAppleArts
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 03, 2015 13:51 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #11

I got the auto focus fixed. Thank you. Now that I have seen the screen I do remember a time when it was showing after some buttons got hit accidentally so I have got it fixed now.

Still looking for more comments on the two photos though if anyone has any other tips. Tell me what you do like about the photos as well.

lilkngster
721 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 03, 2015 16:06 as a reply to  @ BadAppleArts's post |  #12

Nice!

There is a separate critique corner thread specifically for critiques.

BadAppleArts
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 09, 2015 08:50 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #13

Thanks, I probably won't post these there but I'll post any more I get in the future there.

sponsored links

2,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portraits of my Girlfriend
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.