Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Apr 2015 (Wednesday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I get some CC on my new site?

sourcehill
481 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 01, 2015 11:02 |  #1

Just updated the branding and wanted some onsite on the look, feel, how it loads, etc.

All comments welcome.

http://www.michaelcarm​enphotography.com (external link)

Thanks so much guys!

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 01, 2015 11:20 |  #2

This is all personal preference...

First impressions: looks clean and simple = good
Mobile version works well and looks good (Android)

Desktop - Google Chrome, I am at 100% zoom and 1920x1080. the text for your menu feels too small for me. I would also make the contact text larger. You want them to see that without having to look for it

I would use quotation marks in the review section and a name after each review if you can

Make the thumbnails larger so I am not forced to click on each one to see it

When I do click on them, the "Prev/Next" it pretty small and not very noticeable. I thought I had to keep going back to see the others.

Your reviews are copied from the wedding wire, I would put the wedding wire logo at the top of the review page or write "Wedding Wire Reviews" at the top. Large enough so people know it is legit. Also make that text a link to wedding wire. The "Wedding Wire Rated" badge has bad contrast and is difficult to read, along with being tiny. I would use the Wedding Wire text logo that they have on their site or make the badge larger

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 01, 2015 11:23 |  #3

I like how the photos are on your Blog section. It's much easier to just scroll down the page through them than to click on a thumbnail to load it and keep click next. Maybe make your other pages like this.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sourcehill
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 01, 2015 12:10 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #4

Thanks so much for the CC! REALLY appreciate it. My wife was saying last night the link text needs to be larger.

redwoodandrye.com

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 01, 2015 12:13 |  #5

sourcehill wrote in post #17500693 (external link)
Thanks so much for the CC! REALLY appreciate it. My wife was saying last night the link text needs to be larger.

No problem! I know my site needs an overhaul too! Its pretty crowded. The text is ok for us younger guys or people who are used to looking at photog sites and know where to look.

Blake C

Stevegg
38 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 03, 2015 15:09 |  #6

I like the look of the site, agree about the size of the thumbnails. Your reviews which are good are mainly weddings and family, is this your main interest? If it is I suggest changing the emphasis on the home page, making weddings and families large and fine art etc smaller.

BW

Steve

6d, 7d, 50 f1.4, 100 f 2.8 L, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4, 400 f5.6
Flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 03, 2015 15:32 |  #7

Stevegg wrote in post #17503517 (external link)
I like the look of the site, agree about the size of the thumbnails. Your reviews which are good are mainly weddings and family, is this your main interest? If it is I suggest changing the emphasis on the home page, making weddings and families large and fine art etc smaller.

BW

Steve

+1

Blake C

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,857 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 03, 2015 16:41 |  #8

Your phone number is listed on the Wedding Wire page. For the older people who are not comfortable contacting businesses by other means, I would have it one your website too. Even if you prefer email contacts, not having a phone number on a website says to me "This is a part time business." If that is not the case, have your number on there somewhere. If you don't want the web crawlers to get your number and sell it to spammers, post it by image.

Philip

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 04, 2015 08:34 |  #9

the thing that jumps out me the most is you have no "call to action" anywhere on your site. While your site looks nice, you don't really tell people what you do - you simply are showing them what you did.

You need a page describing your services and prices.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

sourcehill
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 04, 2015 13:56 as a reply to  @ i_am_cdn's post |  #10

GREAT feedback. Thank you so much brother!

redwoodandrye.com

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 07, 2015 08:15 |  #11

On your testimonials page... have you considered breaking them up a bit? At first glance it looks like one person wrote you a book. Maybe try separating them by a name and location.

"Michael was one of the best photographers I've ever worked with"

- Stacy, Dallas TX

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

sourcehill
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 07, 2015 08:39 as a reply to  @ njstacker22's post |  #12

This is an excellent idea. Really appreciate you taking the time to check it out!!

redwoodandrye.com

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 07, 2015 08:42 |  #13

njstacker22 wrote in post #17507715 (external link)
On your testimonials page... have you considered breaking them up a bit? At first glance it looks like one person wrote you a book. Maybe try separating them by a name and location.

"Michael was one of the best photographers I've ever worked with"

- Stacy, Dallas TX

+1

Blake C

sponsored links

2,447 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I get some CC on my new site?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.