Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Apr 2015 (Sunday) 02:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

panorama not able to stitch

mattttyler
103 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 05, 2015 02:28 |  #1

I took two different series of shots to photomerge this morning. I've never had much trouble merging photos to a panorama, even shooting handheld. For some reason I can't get any part of these photos to coincide, even if I try just two at a time much less all 5 or 6. I also tried it in PTGui pro which yielded partial results, but it left off the last two frames on one particular panorama. I'm willing to send the shots I want to merge to anyone who wants to give it a try. I'm not sure what more details to include here, but if anyone has experienced this before or needs more info to help please let me know! Thanks.

matt-tyler-photo.com (external link)

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 05, 2015 03:19 |  #2

May we see them? I mean, can you post small versions of each photo here for us to see?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Canon ­ Amateur
275 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 05, 2015 04:16 |  #3

Try Microsoft Image Composite Editor a.k.a. Microsoft ICE.
http://research.micros​oft.com …/um/redmond/pro​jects/ice/ (external link)

Drag and drop your RAW files into it and let it do it's magic.
If that doesn't work, try it with two pictures and save them as temporary pano's.
Then drop these pano's into ICE.

The only drawback is that it is Windows only.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Merlin_AZ.

Apr 05, 2015 10:14 |  #4

I do panos all the time.
Are they at least 25% overlapped?

mattttyler
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by mattttyler.

Apr 05, 2015 12:38 |  #5

here's the link to the images. If you get them to work please share your technique!

https://drive.google.c​om …93SXNCdTJwNHM&u​sp=sharing (external link)

mattttyler
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 06, 2015 00:18 |  #6

I got some help using ptgui and was able to stitch them! I'm really pleased with the results. Anymore tips?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 06, 2015 01:01 |  #7

mattttyler wrote in post #17506043 (external link)
I got some help using ptgui and was able to stitch them! I'm really pleased with the results. Anymore tips?

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mattttyler in
./showthread.php?p=175​06043&i=i51566654
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

This is a very cool pano Matt.

Mark

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 06, 2015 10:47 |  #8

Nice shot.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 06, 2015 11:29 |  #9

I cannot access the files via the link you posted (I need access, so permission or something). However, a few tips for a panorama like this.

In PTGui, the Template is your friend. For your pano, most of the image is underexposed, which can make life difficult for the stitcher that is trying to match features between frames. To make the stitch easier and faster, I often make small JPEGs (~1600px in the long dimension) from my original raw files - in your shot, I would apply a 2 stop exposure boost to all of the images for the raw conversion to the small JPEGs. I call these my "proxy" JPEGs. Convert them with EXIF intact so PTGui can read the lens/focal length data, etc.

Bring the proxies into PTGui and let the stitch occur automatically. If you need to refine the stitch manually, go for it. Once you have the stitch the way you would like, save it as a Template.

Next, bring in the full-res files, rendered to 16bit TIFF with no adjustment, into PTGui. Simply apply the template, and the stitch should work perfectly, without need to boost exposure, etc. for the stitcher to find the features in the image - the stitcher is just going to apply the transforms from the proxy stitch to the underexposed full-res files. Once the full-res stitch is complete, you can open the result in whatever editor and make changes/edits to the pano instead of trying to edit each individual image before stitching, which often creates more problems when stitching and blending.

kirk

Kirk
---

mattttyler
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 06, 2015 12:47 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #10

I fixed the link, it should be accessible to anyone with the link now.

Kirk, thanks for the tips! That seems like a very good way to avoid fussing with control points for hours. However, doesn't this take away the ability to make RAW adjustments altogether? After I follow your steps, I'm working with tiff right?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by kirkt.

Apr 06, 2015 14:06 as a reply to  @ mattttyler's post |  #11

You can make raw adjustments on your images only when they are in a raw converter and in raw format - that is, once you load images into a pano stitcher, they are going to either be RGB images already (TIFFs, for example) or they are going to be converted to RGB images by PTGui. If you need to make raw adjustments, try to limit adjustments to things that will not affect image exposure levels. You can, for example, batch white balance all of your images, and apply batch noise reduction. But I would suggest laying off all of that because as you shoot the scene, there may actually be real changes in exposure and white balance correlated color temperature that you may alter by trying to correct individual images without context of the other images. Also adding even more headache is LR/ACR PV2012, which performs its tonal adjustments based on auto-ranging automagic extrema - that is, the range and sensitivity of some of the tonal sliders differ for each image, based on the range of brightness in the image itself - thus, if you "Sync" adjustments across images, you will start introducing differences in the exposure of each image, potentially, that will affect the transition across boundaries of the stitch, and the blender may not give you very nice results as it tries to guess what to do at these boundaries.

If you need to make large tonal adjustments after a stitch, consider an HDR panorama. You can still use the template approach, but load merged EXR files in place of raw or 16bit TIFFs, etc.

kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by kirkt.

Apr 06, 2015 14:25 |  #12

After taking a look at your images, the main issue is that you do not have enough overlap between images. To get a successful stitch with these images you need to add control points manually to the small areas between adjacent images that contain common features.

You want to have adjacent images overlap by about 20-25% or so.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

2,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
panorama not able to stitch
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.