Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Apr 2015 (Sunday) 18:58
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Does fungus in a lens alter it's value to you?"
Fungus inside a lens makes NO difference to me at all. I would pay full price.
0%
I would buy a lens with fungus but I would pay 1-25% less.
0%
I would buy a lens with fungus but I would pay 26-50% less.
0%
I would buy a lens with fungus but I would pay 51-75% less.
0%
I would buy a lens with fungus but I would pay 76-99% less.
23.1%
Fungus makes a lens totally undesireable to me and I would NOT buy it under any circumstances.
76.9%

39 voters, 39 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does fungus in a lens alter it's value to you?

jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 05, 2015 18:58 |  #1

Simple question. Does fungus (mold/mould) in a lens alter it's value to you and your willingness to buy it compared to the same lens without fungus and, if so, by how much?

I'm genuinely curious to know how others think/feel about this particular condition and if it affects their willingness to buy a lens.

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

sponsored links
LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by LV Moose.

Apr 05, 2015 19:07 |  #2

Even if you bought a lens with fungus, thinking you could send it in and have it cleaned out, I'd be worried about remaining spores that would make it easier to reoccur.

Not worth it to me.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 05, 2015 19:16 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

LV Moose wrote in post #17505732 (external link)
Even if you bought a lens with fungus, thinking you could send it in and have it cleaned out, I'd be worried about remaining spores that would make it easier to reoccur.

Not worth it to me.

...or somehow spread through the rest of my collection...

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2015 19:20 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #4

... or to my toe nails  :p

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,158 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 05, 2015 20:00 |  #5

it really depends...i haven't bought a lens with fungus...but if you were to offer me a 70-200f2.8II for $100, i'd buy it...if you took $300 off the normal price, i wouldn't touch it...

all lenses still have some value...i think newer lenses with fungus take much more of a hit than older MF lenses with fungus...those older lenses are easier to take apart, and clean without having to deal with electronics

but no matter what the value of the lens is going to go down...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 05, 2015 20:07 |  #6

I'd maybe pay $20 for a lens with mold in it, so I have something fun to take apart with my kids. I'd never dream of using it as a lens though and if it ever should happen to one of my lenses I'd do the same thing, take it apart with my kids.

But is this really a common issue? I read about it here and there, but can't imagine that this happens even remotely often.

I'd also never buy a used lens unless it's from a store/place that I can trust and they checked it out to be 100% ok and back it with a warranty and generous return policy. But that's just me, I don't like buying used things, I rather save longer or simply don't have it. Books in perfect condition excluded. I do buy those used. Well, and the occasional movie or CD. But nothing technical. I don't even like used cars, I rather stick with my 11 year old Tacoma for an other decade :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,132 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 05, 2015 20:30 |  #7

fungus lens = $0.00

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 05, 2015 20:45 |  #8

Just not worth it. No need to take a chance of it spreading to anything else in your bag.

My Gear

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,281 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 05, 2015 20:48 |  #9

Heya,

Of course it does. It's not a good thing.

But I will buy cheap old fungusy lenses for dirt, or free, often. Just for fun. I don't worry about spores and stuff. I don't plan on being buried with this gear. I use 8+ year old cameras mostly (5D, 1D2, etc) and some modern APS-C's. I don't spend a lot, but I also don't really care about some fungus, as long as you don't leave it in a dark damp place, it's not going to do much. Here in Florida, it's bright and my stuff is always out in the sun, and I don't care really.

So I like to play with fungusy stuff sometimes just for the heck of it.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14231557877_ecccf0a754_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFAs​kx  (external link) IMG_5474 (external link) by Mwise1023 (external link), on Flickr

Like this fungusy Takumar 50 F1.4. Got it for nothing. Fungus seems to effect contrast a little. Nothing else.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 05, 2015 20:52 |  #10

Fungus etches the glass. It can be cleaned, but the etching remains. If it is just a trace, it should be OK, but in a bad case the surface would be ruined.

I'm pretty sure remaining spores in an infected lens are not an issue, because there are fungus spores everywhere in the air. The spores will grow in any lens if the humidity is high enough and there is enough time.

It definitely happens, I can attest to that. One time I put my camera bag containing my gear away after a winter shoot. I didn't notice there was a bunch of snow stuck to the bottom of the bag. It melted and the water permeated the bottom of the bag. A couple of weeks later I opened the bag and was shocked to see it full of white filaments, with the worst concentration at one corner where my 28mm prime was. The fungus had gotten deep into that lens and it needed to have the glass replaced. Fortunately the other gear was OK, just needed to have the exterior cleaned.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 05, 2015 21:27 |  #11

Perhaps the lens could be cleaned and repaired at a reasonable price and you wind up with a good deal. But it's also likely that the cost to repair could exceed the value of the lens. My assumption is that the seller got an estimate to repair the lens and determined it wasn't worth the cost. Of course, it's also possible that the seller was just too lazy to get an estimate. In either case, the risk would be too great for me to consider.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

1,784 views & 1 like for this thread
Does fungus in a lens alter it's value to you?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.