Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 05 Apr 2015 (Sunday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problems with Lee Big Stopper

CHillyDoggy
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by CHillyDoggy.

Apr 05, 2015 10:40 |  #1

I've been consistently having problems with my Lee Big Stopper and wondered if anyone else has experience with this or knows how to solve it.

I keep getting what I'm assuming are light leaks and spots. I was shooting yesterday at a great little spot we found but it was mid day. The tide was low though so that was the only time to shoot it while these pilings were exposed. I'll post the only decent one I got, followed by 2 examples of the kind of problems I'm having...

Here's what I am using... Canon 5DM3, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II... which has an 82mm filter ring. I was shooting at f/22 also. Light was overhead, very bright, but partly cloudy. I had my Lee Big Stopper (10 stops) and a Lee 1.2 (4 stops) on trying to shoot for four or five minutes as the water was very choppy. This was part of my problem as my friend was shooting for 45 seconds and the water was smooth enough... my shorter exposures looked some better too but I'd like to be able to figure out what's going on for longer ones.

Edited version: This one was 196 seconds, f/10

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8730/17034691905_367ba8bb36_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rXif​qz  (external link) Untitled (external link) by CHillyDoggy (external link), on Flickr

Straight out of camera version:
IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8757/16420139794_2b758fbb92_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/r1Zv​uw  (external link) Untitled (external link) by CHillyDoggy (external link), on Flickr

Another Example of problems I'm having:
IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7598/16835166847_f9113c40f3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rDEC​zn  (external link) Untitled (external link) by CHillyDoggy (external link), on Flickr

I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to sell my big stopper, and several other of their filters & equipment and just go back to some simple screw ons... but wanted to see if anyone could help me understand what I'm doing wrong before going to that extreme.

Thanks for any help. :)

Craig Hill Photography (external link) / Craig Hill Photography on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
PCousins
609 posts
Gallery: 289 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 05, 2015 12:16 |  #2

Hello CHillyDoggy,

1 - You are using a Wide Angle lens. Check to see that you are using the 82mm Wide Angle Adapter Ring. There is also a Standard adapter Ring. These Adapter rings differ. The Wide Angle Adapter Ring sits closer to the front element of the camera’s lens.

2 - Also when taking your long exposure photo make sure you cover the eyepiece for a complete light seal. I have a little trigger lever on my eyepiece for my 1Ds3, for my 5d2 & 7d I use the rubber seal on the Canon straps or you can use a dark cloth of some kind.

I have experimented with the 2 above and have noticed a difference with stray light. Regards Paul

Gear List

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,884 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 05, 2015 12:21 |  #3

PCousins is spot on. You might also check and make sure the BS is the closest filter to the lens. Seems trivial, but sometimes overlooked.

If it's REALLY bright outside maybe some gaf tape around the filet holder? Never had that problem but it might be an issue.

Also check that the foam on the BS is pointed toward the body and in good condition. With heavy use it can wear away.

Just some thoughts. YMMV

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

CHillyDoggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 05, 2015 12:48 |  #4

Thanks guys! All good things to check.

PCousins: I didn't realize there were too, will check it. I have never covered the eye piece but will look into that too.

FarmerTed1971: I think it was, but will make sure it is from now on. Foam seems to be in good shape. I haven't used it a ton.

Thanks again, both of you!

Craig Hill Photography (external link) / Craig Hill Photography on Facebook (external link)

waywardsphotos
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 05, 2015 15:50 |  #5

PCousins wrote in post #17505278 (external link)
Hello CHillyDoggy,

1 - You are using a Wide Angle lens. Check to see that you are using the 82mm Wide Angle Adapter Ring. There is also a Standard adapter Ring. These Adapter rings differ. The Wide Angle Adapter Ring sits closer to the front element of the camera’s lens.

2 - Also when taking your long exposure photo make sure you cover the eyepiece for a complete light seal. I have a little trigger lever on my eyepiece for my 1Ds3, for my 5d2 & 7d I use the rubber seal on the Canon straps or you can use a dark cloth of some kind.

I have experimented with the 2 above and have noticed a difference with stray light. Regards Paul

AHA! The eyepiece! I was having issues like this as well. Makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,491 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 05, 2015 15:53 |  #6

The seal around the filter might not be 'hermetic' light-wise. This is what I do:

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=16899556

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

EchoShotz
310 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 05, 2015 16:10 |  #7

Also, be sure you're putting the big stopper in the slot closest to the lens.

5D Mark III, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, YN560 (2x)
-Kenny

CHillyDoggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 05, 2015 19:30 |  #8

Alveric: thank you! I will take all that into account! :)

EchoShotz: Will do, thanks!

Also, I find that I do have the W/A version of the 82mm ring so I won't have to spend $60 more for such a simple thing, ha ha.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,856 posts
Gallery: 1270 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 05, 2015 20:59 |  #9

Heya,

I do this all the time.

You still have to deal with flare and .... near water, small water droplets that reflect, and small pieces of sand that reflect, they will look like glints and glowing orbs, but again, lens flare is also a big deal. You're not using a lens hood with this filter unless you made one or something, so it does become an issue.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

waywardsphotos
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 05, 2015 23:59 |  #10

MalVeauX wrote in post #17505861 (external link)
Heya,

I do this all the time.

You still have to deal with flare and .... near water, small water droplets that reflect, and small pieces of sand that reflect, they will look like glints and glowing orbs, but again, lens flare is also a big deal. You're not using a lens hood with this filter unless you made one or something, so it does become an issue.

Very best,

not a bad idea...

CHillyDoggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 06, 2015 09:38 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #11

Ah, I bet that's what some of those little spots were! Just something you try to fix in post?

Low tide is an hour before sunset this Thursday so weather permitting, I'm gonna try and do everything everyone suggested here and give it another go! :)

MalVeauX
12,856 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 08, 2015 20:49 |  #12

CHillyDoggy wrote in post #17506395 (external link)
Ah, I bet that's what some of those little spots were! Just something you try to fix in post?

Low tide is an hour before sunset this Thursday so weather permitting, I'm gonna try and do everything everyone suggested here and give it another go! :)

Heya,

Yea, I fix the little sand glows in post if they're there. I keep a blower handy, but the wind at the coast is always carrying sand. It's going to happen during a 2+ minute exposure. And you won't see it on LCD on the camera before you head home. I just try to blow between plates, lens, front, etc, then quickly expose and hope to not just get a gust that sits. If there's any moisture on the plates, the sand will stick.

Very best,

CHillyDoggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 09, 2015 08:57 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #13

Thanks again for the help!

Also, Does it matter if the foam is facing the lens or away?

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,884 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 09, 2015 09:18 |  #14

The foam should face the lens to seal off any light leaks.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

MalVeauX
12,856 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 09, 2015 09:32 |  #15

CHillyDoggy wrote in post #17510540 (external link)
Thanks again for the help!

Also, Does it matter if the foam is facing the lens or away?

Heya,

You want the foam facing the plate system (towards lens), to seal light from coming in from around the plate which will flare. This is where the problem comes in with having stacked filters, as the other filters probably won't have foam due to the stack, which is unfortunate. In general, I try to shoot when there's no direct sun (early morning, late evening) to avoid this effect if possible. Other times, you just shoot and if there's anything try to fix it in post if possible, or live with it.

Landscape photography is all about time anyways. The place is always there. You can be there with gear. But time of day, weather condition and light quality matters most and that is just a function of time.

Very best,

sponsored links

4,050 views & 2 likes for this thread
Problems with Lee Big Stopper
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.