Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Satisfying yourself....

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,973 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 23, 2014 08:13 |  #31

Owain, I to have not shot much for myself over the last few months and what i have shot for myself I have not been very happy with. My professional work has been so busy since July so I have been just able to keep up with that and getting ready for an exhibit in March has zapped most of my time and energy. I do have some time now and I plan on some real visual soul searching starting in a couple of days.

sponsored links
Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 23, 2014 08:49 |  #32

Every so often, I'll get a shot that's just magic; it just works in every respect.

I don't know that one can actually achieve "perfection" with art...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

airfrogusmc
35,973 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 23, 2014 09:09 |  #33

The real question is can you or I create a body of work that is visual connected in some way and also gives a glimpse of who we are? One great photograph no more makes a great photographer than one great at bat makes an MVP.

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,196 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2014 09:20 |  #34

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17347282 (external link)
Start shooting portraits in spanish class! :-)

The thought had crossed my mind, there's a lot of us from many different nationalities ... it could be quite interesting. Only a couple of weeks of classes left, so I should get on with it ... thanks for the kick up the backside!

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Owain ­ Shaw
2,196 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2014 09:25 |  #35

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17347287 (external link)
Owain, I to have not shot much for myself over the last few months and what i have shot for myself I have not been very happy with. My professional work has been so busy since July so I have been just able to keep up with that and getting ready for an exhibit in March has zapped most of my time and energy. I do have some time now and I plan on some real visual soul searching starting in a couple of days.

I keep an eye out for your work in the usual places and hadn't seen much posted of late. Preparing exhibitions is always stressful, I never have time to do much else when I'm shooting for one. Prepping one from existing work is no easier, editing down, re-working and everything that goes with that.

Time and mindset make a huge difference to the way you see the world. A big part of your work is spending time out there shooting, being there to capture what comes along for you - if you've not going time to be out there making that work, the work isn't going to happen. And the way you perceive the world with tired or stressed out eyes is very different. These are things I've learned over the past couple of months, but still give myself a hard time over ... not very kind to myself

airfrogusmc
35,973 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Dec 23, 2014 09:53 |  #36

The curators at the gallery were a big help in the editing department. They pretty much helped edit down to the 16 images needed for the show. Now all I have to do is finish printing, mount, over mat and frame. 17 by approx 11 1/2 on 20 X 24 white 4 play museum board and 4white 4 ply over mats with simple black metal frames.

If you care about the work you will be the harshest on yourself. I know I am.

Owain ­ Shaw
2,196 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Owain Shaw.

Dec 23, 2014 13:21 |  #37

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17347443 (external link)
The curators at the gallery were a big help in the editing department. They pretty much helped edit down to the 16 images needed for the show. Now all I have to do is finish printing, mount, over mat and frame. 17 by approx 11 1/2 on 20 X 24 white 4 play museum board and 4white 4 ply over mats with simple black metal frames.

If you care about the work you will be the harshest on yourself. I know I am.

I clearly care, because I can be brutal on it ... in my own head, and with closer friends. Drives some of them mad actually.

Outside eyes are great for editing - they instantly remove the ones that only work due to our own attachment to them. Lucky that my two recent exhibitions I've had the producer, director and director's wife (a portrait painter) go through them ... sometimes sucks to lose one I liked, but normally I'd realise the cut was right at the end.

Prints sound good, black metal frames should suit nicely.

airfrogusmc
35,973 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 23, 2014 14:11 |  #38

I'm lucky in the fact I have a group of artists and photographers including one of my now retired professors that get together every quarter and critique each others work. The only real requirement is you have to have new work. Those critiques are open and honest and have been such a HUGE help to me the past few years.

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2014 15:52 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #39

I find it hard taking crittique, generally i don't get much feedback from the few clients i have shot with, generally it's those are cool thanks. Weather that's a good thing or not i'm not quite sure. All i kmow os i've not had any complaints. I was recently told by an amateur tog that my photos lacked colour depth... Not too sure what that meant but looking through his work i see a lot of photos with what i can only replicate as the clarity slider right up and oversaturated colors. That's not really my thing, i like to have the pictures i take look as true to life as possible with only very small adjustments to enhance the picture (says the guy who does lightpaining! Haha)

It's a tough one. I think we all have our own style but i keep seeing pictures that look like they have been ruined with too many adjustments. Tomorrow starts a cull of old pics i've thought of as ok at the time and maybe i'll like them later so i think my library is going to greatly reduce in size. It also gives me a good excuse to re-organise my lightroom collections too!

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

airfrogusmc
35,973 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Dec 23, 2014 17:04 |  #40

Depends on who the clients are. I work with a lot of visual professionals like art directors and graphic designers so they have some knowledge but that work is for a client and not me. Other artists and other photographers whose work I respect I do appreciate good feed back about the visual side of things. Technique is the easy part of this thing. It's the visual part that is so infinitely difficult. And it's the critique on the visual/content part that to me is so valuable. My technique was perfected a very long time ago. And it has never been easier to get a technically proficient image. But to build bodies of relating work that somehow give a peek at the person creating those works is very difficult. And we don't all have our own style. How many photographers on the forums work can you tell from the next. Usually there is one person making pretty pictures and dozens trying to copy that. The real compliment is not that the photographs are pretty but I could tell that was one of your images without seeing the signature. The easiest thing to do is make photographs that look like everyone else's work.

A little sump'm I thought you might find interesting.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=WuV7bspAh1Q (external link)

hornrocker
325 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 28, 2014 11:40 |  #41

Very seldom am I satisfied with the photos I take, or the guitar playing I do. Anyone that really cares about what they are doing are their own toughest critic, and are very hard to please.

TerryMiller wrote in post #17345030 (external link)
I've taken about 12,000 photos since I started this hobby about a year and a half ago. There are 3 or four that I like. My wife and buddy both think differently. I'd rate none of my photos as "significant".

I'm that buddy.... and I gotta tell ya, out of those 12,000 photos Terry has taken I'd say he has more like 7 good ones. ;-)a

Mark
Much more gear than talent....

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 28, 2014 11:43 as a reply to  @ hornrocker's post |  #42

haha it's a pain. i've kind of taken a bit of a step back from trying to please everyone and doing it for myself next season.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by dkizzle.

Dec 29, 2014 10:42 |  #43

As a landscape photographer when I travel to shoot stuff I am always happy with 1 good image per day. This hopefully includes a full day of shooting from pre sunrise to post sunset. From an entire trip I would be very happy with a few print worthy images. I also do not take a lot of pictures as compared to others. I can do 100 per day while others will do 1000+ and I often delete most images within camera.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 05, 2015 02:37 as a reply to  @ dkizzle's post |  #44

I think often it's a case of quality over quantity.

Facebook (external link)

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by [Hyuni].

Apr 06, 2015 09:48 |  #45

Considering most of my viewers are used to instagram and phone camera shots, of course they would think my photos are pretty great.

There are only two people I truly respect their opinion and they are my mentors. Usually they are pretty mute on stuff that's just average, but once in a while when I post something good, a "good work" is plenty enough for me.

And btw, those mentors have taught me a very important lesson. When you present your work, you MUST present it in a way that each photo is significant. Loading a dozen of similar shots actually dilute the overall presentation. It is OUR job to pick what is the best and present the final product and story.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

sponsored links

7,826 views & 12 likes for this thread
Satisfying yourself....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.