Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Apr 2015 (Saturday) 23:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Practice for JPEG picture download - SL1?

UrBild
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 04, 2015 23:08 |  #1

I just got a brand new Canon SL1 Camera. I have some questions about best methods for transferring jpegs to a Windows 7 Desktop.

I have been downloading pictures from a Canon G11 Powershot directly to Windows 7 desktop, connecting USB cable to camera, then we just drag/drop the picture folder (or just individual pictures) from the "mounted" camera onto the Windows hard drive. Quick and easy. No Cannon software needed. (We only used the G11 for jpeg format, no RAW files, and just pictures, no video).

Is anyone else using this same procedure with the SL1? (e.g. download pictures via USB only, directly from camera to PC without the Canon software involved?)

Many recommend a card reader. Wouldn't it be less wear and tear on the card if it was left in the camera, and refrain from taking the card out and putting it back in frequently? Maybe that is not a valid concern? (There may be another advantage to using a card reader)

What is the is best practice?

Thanks for any feedback or advice

sponsored links
lilkngster
727 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 04, 2015 23:49 |  #2

I do not worry about wearing down an SD card, they are so cheap. Some might argue that the cameras with CF cards might benefit from less manipulation, as sometimes you could bend the pins resulting in camera error. Big reason for using a card reader, USB2 from camera vs USB3 card reader, makes a difference.

6dII/1dIII|Bronica Sq-Ai/EOS 3/A1

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,866 posts
Gallery: 2026 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 05, 2015 21:52 |  #3

Heya,

Whatever is best for you, is what's good.

Personally I use a card reader for all my cards, SD & CF. It's faster. I find USB to be way too slow and I get impatient sitting and waiting for a few hundred, or a thousand, to come off a card to the desktop. So I use card readers. I also use several cards, so I don't want to put a card in the camera just to read it over USB.

Wear on the card is not a thing I'd worry about at all. They're replaceable and very inexpensive.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 05, 2015 23:45 |  #4

Use whatever method suits you the best, just like MalVeauX said. I use a card reader or the slot on the computer and though I almost always shoot RAW on the rare occasion I do shoot JPEG I still use a card reader because it is faster. Just remember that anytime you plug and unplug something you are causing wear and tear whether it is a mini USB port or a SD/CF card. I doubt that anyone has done a study comparing the failure rates of card readers and camera ports but I would be surprised if there is a significant difference between the two. Again, if plugging the camera straight to the computer is more convenient and works for you then by all means keep doing it that way. I don't think there is really a right way or wrong way so use the method that is easiest for you.

Joe
5DIII

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2015 04:58 |  #5

I have always used a card reader, and I much prefer CF cards over SD. In fact a camera would have to have a lot of other things going for it to interest me if it used SD cards. Although the Leica M Monochrom would be one that would. Anyway I still have the original 1GB CF card that came with my 300D, a Jessops branded one. It's ten years old now, and still seems to work perfectly fine. It usually sits in my backup 20D now, as at 8 MB per RAW file it can still hold a reasonable amount of images. I would never worry about changing cards, or using a card reader. As removeable devices the design should facilitate normal removal and insertion of the card without damage or wear to either the card or the device.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 06, 2015 08:59 |  #6

I just use the USB cable - there's an SD card reader in my laptop, but it doesn't work, and to me it's simpler to use the camera as a card reader than to get and use another card reader. I'm not pulling down 30gb of images off of multiple cards, though.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 06, 2015 09:41 |  #7

yup, whatever works for you.

keep in mind that many of us have many cards. I probably have 10 and typically rotate about 6 in and out of the camera. I do some shooting, pull the card and then put in another that has had the images wiped clean. The first card will go into a card reader and have the images pulled, the card is then part of my back ups until the images on the computer are processed and backed up.

That's usually the way it goes. Of course sometimes i hook up the camera via USB just to pull a few RAW files, or like yesterday, i connected via wireless to the 6D and processed egg hunt images of my kids on my phone for posting to Facebook.

as far as wear and tear, the most delicate things are the pins in the camera, i am very careful to push the card in gently.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

UrBild
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 06, 2015 17:39 |  #8

Hi all, many thanks to all of you who replied !

Yes, I definitely see the point of using USB3 over USB2 specially if there is a large volume of pictures to be downloaded. Personally, I will be dealing with far fewer images. My desktop does have a built-in card-reader, which I have never used, so it is an option.

I am still wondering about Canon software (EOS Utility). Is there an advantage of using it for image transfer, and is anyone using it? (none of the responses sofar mentioned it)

My concern about connecting the the camera directly to the PC was raised after reading the warning in the SL1 UserGuide in chapter 13 section "Installing the software" on page 367:

"Do not connect the camera to your computer before you install the software.
The software will not be installed correctly".

It is not clear whether this warning applies to the "EOS Utility", the "Digital Photo Professional", "ImageBrowser EX" or "Picture Style Editor" or all of the above. But I already have Photoshop Elements V13, which I am happy with and don't plan to use any other tool for image post-processing at this time. I guess I could just install the software from the CD (then ignore it) before hooking up the camera for the very first time, just to be on the safe side.

Is the warning on page 367 specific to SL1 or does it apply to other EOS cameras as well?

Regards and Thanks

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by crbinson. (4 edits in all)

Apr 06, 2015 19:33 as a reply to  @ UrBild's post |  #9

If you are not going to use the Canon software don't worry about it. There is no need to install it and no risk to your camera by not doing so. I used the camera to PC method with my T4i for well over a year before buying an external card reader. I believe the warning is more with regard to installing the software than anything to do with the camera.

p.s. - I used to copy directly from the card in the camera to the target folder on PC via USB cable because I never cared for the software provided with the cameras so I didn't use them. Now I use Lightroom to manage the import process. I put the card in, Lightroom opens, I click import, and it does the rest (folder creating, file naming, & importing).

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 06, 2015 21:31 |  #10

UrBild wrote in post #17507029 (external link)
My concern about connecting the the camera directly to the PC was raised after reading the warning in the SL1 UserGuide in chapter 13 section "Installing the software" on page 367:

"Do not connect the camera to your computer before you install the software.
The software will not be installed correctly".

It is not clear whether this warning applies to the "EOS Utility", the "Digital Photo Professional", "ImageBrowser EX" or "Picture Style Editor" or all of the above. But I already have Photoshop Elements V13, which I am happy with and don't plan to use any other tool for image post-processing at this time. I guess I could just install the software from the CD (then ignore it) before hooking up the camera for the very first time, just to be on the safe side.

Is the warning on page 367 specific to SL1 or does it apply to other EOS cameras as well?

Regards and Thanks

I think it is worth installing the Canon utiilities whether you use them all the time or not. I'm also not sure that you would actually run into problems if you connected the camera first and then, after disconnecting the camera, install the software. There may be some obscure setting that is set (an auto app launch) that may not be enabled, but i doubt it will break anything.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

RickAnthony
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 04, 2015 07:26 |  #11

I found this weekend that the Utility missed several images during download.
From 567 pictures it only downloaded 404 and refused to fetch the rest
Luckily I noticed before I cleared the card..
Makes me wonder if it has done this before.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 04, 2015 11:24 |  #12

I believe the warning about installing the software first is due to an issue installing the software when the USB device drivers are already on the system. It's not only Canon cameras that I have seen this with, some printer software also seems to have issues with this. If you have already connected the camera, and want to install the software I would simply go to Device Manager and delete the USB device drivers for the camera first. They will reinstall easily enough. Although USB is really good at PnP, I have noticed some peculiarities, this issue, and also the fact that it seems to need to reload the drivers if you plug the item into a different socket. I've seen the drivers reinstall for each individual socket on my USB hub, even though they are on the same physical bus. I guess that may be how you seem to find so many versions of the same USB printer on a computer.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 04, 2015 12:04 |  #13

I talked to my photo class instructor some years ago, and the guy showed me loose connectors in the cameras caused by frequent plugs in and out. He strongly recommended me to use a card reader. SD card and readers are cheap. Fixing the connector in the camera will not be.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,638 posts
Joined May 2003

May 04, 2015 17:29 |  #14

RickAnthony wrote in post #17542780 (external link)
I found this weekend that the Utility missed several images during download.
From 567 pictures it only downloaded 404 and refused to fetch the rest
Luckily I noticed before I cleared the card..
Makes me wonder if it has done this before.

I once thought this to be the case and after some careful observation found the images were all present. Lets say I took a 100 images (RAW + JPEG) at Easter, then downloaded them but left them on the card. I then took another 400 images at some later date. When I download, even if I tell it to download everything, it will only download the later 400 images, not the 100 that had previously been downloaded. You should have folder that are by default set up by date so look around your hard drive.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

May 05, 2015 08:50 |  #15

I just plug a USB cable. I have a card reader on my PC but is a bit old and doesn'r recognize the newer cards.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

sponsored links

3,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Practice for JPEG picture download - SL1?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.