Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2015 (Saturday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Our first baby coming, camcorder or 6D for videos?

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 04, 2015 13:33 |  #1

Hello. Looking for a little advice. I haven't used my 6D at all for video. My wife and I would like to start taking videos now that we are starting a family. At first I thought we'd get a small camcorder. They seem really cheap now. They are a lot smaller than my camera and would seem easier to use.

Anybody here use their 6D for videos? If my I remember you need an STM lens to enjoy AF during video? I don't think I'd like to manual focus.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,486 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 04, 2015 13:44 |  #2

6D does not AF during video.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 05, 2015 10:09 |  #3

A decent modern camcorder is going to be far easier to use for basic home video than a 6D will. Flip the screen open, and you are usually good to go. No fumbling with lenses, no awkward positioning to try and see what is on the screen. (Just wish more camcorders included a flip out screen shade. I've only seen that on one model, and it wasn't even a very good one from what I saw of the video it produced.)

You are less likely to spend time fumbling with settings and miss the cute and memorable moment you pulled the camera out for with a compact camcorder than with a 6D. You may want to explore some basic stabilization methods, depending on your shooting style.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 05, 2015 10:17 |  #4

A camcorder.

Using a DSLR for video is a hassle: The ergonomics are poor unless you get a bunch of additional grip gear; and without a good autofocus system, a LOT of your footage will be out of focus until you've practiced and trained extensively.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 05, 2015 16:35 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #5

Thanks guys. After reading around I am thinking about downgrading to a 70D with a 18-135 STM lens. On a side note I have been wanting to go back to a crop and maybe this will be my chance.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …mm-is-stm-kit-refurbished (external link)

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 05, 2015 20:55 |  #6

Matrim33 wrote in post #17504336 (external link)
Hello. Looking for a little advice. I haven't used my 6D at all for video. My wife and I would like to start taking videos now that we are starting a family. At first I thought we'd get a small camcorder. They seem really cheap now. They are a lot smaller than my camera and would seem easier to use.

Anybody here use their 6D for videos? If my I remember you need an STM lens to enjoy AF during video? I don't think I'd like to manual focus.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Get a camcorder for video, especially if you're not wanting to do a lot of manual stuff and just want to capture moments without any preparation, control or setup.

I love doing video with a declicked manual lens and a shotgun mic on my SLR's, but it takes effort and is not ideal when you're just wanting to catch the kids doing stuff.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 05, 2015 21:58 |  #7

You can use a 70D, and it does autofocus rather well while filming. But a dedicated video camera is much quicker and easier to use, more flexible and generally much easier to carry in a pocket or bag.

My daughter shoots and edits video professionally and uses a 60D. But she is usually shooting interviews or other relatively static subjects, or actors that follow predetermined and practiced movements, and relies entirely on manual focus with Magic Lantern to provide focus peaking cues on the LCD and a Hoodman-style LCD loupe, and either off a tripod or shoulder support. Occasionally she shoots weddings and other events, and can manual focus pretty reliably after years of practice. While she likes the quality that comes out of the DSLR, even she is now looking at a dedicated HD camcorder. It's just too much effort with too little reward to shoot DSLR unless you're doing high-paid commercial productions, shooting 4K raw video on a full-frame sensor.

I'd do some research on full HD video cameras that can do 1080P at 24, 30 and 60fps with a mic input jack (eventually you'll want an external shotgun mic for better sound quality) in the $300-500 range from Panasonic, Canon and Sony. A manual focus ring would also be nice but that will increase your cost to over $800.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2015 10:03 |  #8

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17505921 (external link)
While she likes the quality that comes out of the DSLR, even she is now looking at a dedicated HD camcorder. It's just too much effort with too little reward to shoot DSLR

Yeah. We recently got a Sony NEX-VG30 for this exact reason. Image quality is good enough for any HD production, and it's SO much easier to use than a DSLR. The built-in mic is really good, too.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by BlakeC.

Apr 06, 2015 10:16 |  #9

70D. You will also probably be taking many more photos than video. You can also print and mount your photos to put on your wall. Are these going to be planned videos or are you going to keep your camera handy all the time just in case? My guess is you will be better off keeping your phone handy and ready to go to get the video.

If you want a something specifically for video that is not your phone and you want to keep it handy for those "hunny look" moments, I'd suggest a Kodak Playsport. They take HD video, have expandable memory, live view, waterproof, can shoot underwater, shock proof, about the size of a cell phone, and also take pics! I brought ours to Jamaica and kept it in my pocket all day and used it underwater, in the pool, around town, etc. They range from $100-$250. The video that these produce is surprisingly good and they pic up sound very well! You also don't have to worry about dropping it and breaking it. They also have a tripod mount!

http://www.amazon.com …-keywords=kodak+playspo​rt (external link)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 07, 2015 02:28 |  #10

I now have a small panasonic camcorder (X920 I believe) for this sort of thing. It just sits around charged and with plenty memory space on it. Open the flip screen and less than a second later you can be taking video that tracks focus faster than my DSLR can hope. I did initially try the DSLR but it just took too long to aquire focus and then lost it a lot as the boys run around. I know the 70D has some big improvements in the video department so don't know how it would compare.

It also means if the kids are playing or doing something stupid/worth filming I can get some nice still shots while my wife gets the video, no need to choose one over the other.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 07, 2015 09:04 |  #11

Having had and used both (70D and dedicated camcorder) I'd say -

If it is ONLY you who will be doing the recording and you are comfortable behind a DSLR, then I think the 70D will be fine and you will be happy with the video output. I used mine in few different environments (for my kids) and was always happy with the results. As others have said, it will be bulkier and maybe harder to use (I don't think so), but you'll have the option of capturing good still images without changing devices.

However, if anyone else is going to record - wife, in-laws, anyone... then I'd say to get a dedicated camcorder and keep the 6D. I went from a 70D to a 6D for basically the same reason - capturing moments of my kids. I wanted the better IQ and ISO performance of the full frame 6D and we already had a dedicated camcorder. I can tell you from experience that you will most likely be handing off the recording at some point - mom, grandpa, aunt/uncle and it's just going to be easier with a dedicated camcorder.

Good luck with your decision!

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 07, 2015 11:34 |  #12

Thanks guys. The plan now is to downgrade to the 70D. I grabbed it with the 18-135 STM for $999. This should be a good setup for video. I will try and train my wife on how to use it and family will always be able to use their phones in a pinch.

I will always have need for a DSLR so having this setup doesn't cost me much. We will give it a whirl and because I'm downgrading to a cheaper camera I will have some extra "fun money" to put towards a camcorder if needed. Money wise this seems to be the way to go. Ideally yes I would have a dedicated video machine, but I am going to try without for now.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 07, 2015 11:36 |  #13

freestylee30 wrote in post #17507760 (external link)
Having had and used both (70D and dedicated camcorder) I'd say -

If it is ONLY you who will be doing the recording and you are comfortable behind a DSLR, then I think the 70D will be fine and you will be happy with the video output. I used mine in few different environments (for my kids) and was always happy with the results. As others have said, it will be bulkier and maybe harder to use (I don't think so), but you'll have the option of capturing good still images without changing devices.

However, if anyone else is going to record - wife, in-laws, anyone... then I'd say to get a dedicated camcorder and keep the 6D. I went from a 70D to a 6D for basically the same reason - capturing moments of my kids. I wanted the better IQ and ISO performance of the full frame 6D and we already had a dedicated camcorder. I can tell you from experience that you will most likely be handing off the recording at some point - mom, grandpa, aunt/uncle and it's just going to be easier with a dedicated camcorder.

Good luck with your decision!

Go Sounders! And get Evans out of the backfield!! :-D

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 07, 2015 11:43 |  #14

Matrim33 wrote in post #17507903 (external link)
Go Sounders! And get Evans out of the backfield!! :-D

Woohoo! Another Sounders fan, love it!

I'm not ready to give Evans the boot from the defense just yet, but I also wouldn't argue with picking up a new CB :)

I really enjoyed working with the video on my 70D - I think you'll be happy with it!

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Matrim33.

Apr 07, 2015 12:26 |  #15

freestylee30 wrote in post #17507911 (external link)
Woohoo! Another Sounders fan, love it!

I'm not ready to give Evans the boot from the defense just yet, but I also wouldn't argue with picking up a new CB :)

I really enjoyed working with the video on my 70D - I think you'll be happy with it!

He's a good player and maybe he can figure it out. I'm just not over him losing the game a few back, but he's been better the last 2 matches. Will get a good test this weekend.

Thanks for the advice. I'm excited to start playing with video!

sponsored links

1,687 views & 3 likes for this thread
Our first baby coming, camcorder or 6D for videos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.