Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 02 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 13:41
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What 4K Monitor to Purchase"
ASUS PQ321Q
8.3%
LG 31MU97-B
0%
ViewSonic VP2772
0%
Other (List it below with reasoning)
83.3%
Dell UltraSharp U3014
8.3%

12 voters, 12 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What 4K Monitor to Purchase

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Beau Hudspeth.

Apr 02, 2015 13:41 |  #1

Hey all,

I'm looking at a few options to replace my old Dell 2407WFP (external link) to a bigger, higher resolution model.
Here is what I'm looking at.

• ASUS PQ321Q 31.5-Inch 4K Monitor (external link)

• LG Electronics IPS Digital Cinema 4K Monitor 31MU97-B (external link)

• ViewSonic VP2772 27-Inch SuperClear IPS LED-Lit Professional Monitor (external link) (not a true 4K)

• Dell UltraSharp U3014 (external link)

The reason I am looking at the 4K's is to be ahead of the curve, as it were. I'm in no way an early-adopter by nature, but I can see where this is going figure I can get there now with little pain. Also, I would like a multi-monitor setup but do not have the space, so having on monitor that can display all my windows on one will do nicely.

If you have any other suggestions that I should consider, PLEASE let me know.

So, which one?

All the best!

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 02, 2015 23:07 |  #2

Bummer to have 44 views but no input. Crud! :)

ThreeHounds
846 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 02, 2015 23:21 |  #3

I've been using my NEC PA272W for a few months and I really like it. Got it with their Spectraview software that uses my i1Display Pro calibrator. They also have it in a 30" version.
Have no experience with the ones you list except I used Viewsonic CRT monitors years ago and thought they were very good for that technology.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

tandemhearts
583 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 03, 2015 06:11 |  #4

None of the above. I just did an upgrade and picked an QHD ultra wide instead of a 4k. 3440 x 1440. No scaling issues, no bezels messing with my field of view like a 2 screen setup.

IMAGE: http://www.lg.com/uk/images/computer-products/features/04-LG%2034UC97%20TRUE%20ULTRAWIDE.jpg

LG's 34UC97 is amazing. I'm ambivalent on the curve. It was all that was available when I bought it. The flat version is probably just as nice.

http://www.amazon.com/​dp/B00OKSEWL6/ (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by samsen. (3 edits in all)

Apr 03, 2015 06:20 |  #5

If you have deep pocket, go for whatever to figure out.
For those on a tight budget but uncontrolled urge to get a 4K, the best option may be as well:
DELL 28" 4K LED Widescreen Monitor 3840 X 2160 - P2815Q
It doesn't stand to other Dells but has the basic 4K need and is usually on sale, priced about $250 that even for a usual 28 LCD is a good price.
The problem with it is low refreshment rate of 30 hz that causes a mouse lag at all settings therefor not a choice for the gamers but for a designer or image data processor, should be a big bang for the price.
Bottom line: As with front row hiTech products, prices are high at this point and are sure to come down with increased use. So don't rush to spend all your hard earned cash to buy a disappointment in short time, and don't forget at this time, 4K is not for everyone.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

tarkie
28 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 03, 2015 14:31 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #6

Cant comment on the photographic quality of 4k panels, however, from a stability perspective a 60Hz panel is a must and the price point of these is dropping quickly compared to the 30Hz panels.

Canon 5D2, 20d, 70-200L2.8, 50/1.4, 70-300/4-5.6IS, a bag and some bits

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 03, 2015 14:42 |  #7

Thanks for the info thus far. Please, keep it coming.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 03, 2015 21:18 |  #8

Will you be able to read any of the menus and will icons in PS and LR be too tiny with one of these uber high resolution screens? Adobe doesn't scale any of this stuff very well (or at all) in CS6.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2015 21:46 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #9

Thankfully, I don't use the icons in PS or LR, I have them memorized by the keyboard shortcut, so that should not be an issue.

The monitor will not be more than 20"(+/-)3" from my face so I should be okay. :)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 05, 2015 10:15 |  #10

Bob_A wrote in post #17503810 (external link)
Will you be able to read any of the menus and will icons in PS and LR be too tiny with one of these uber high resolution screens? Adobe doesn't scale any of this stuff very well (or at all) in CS6.

If ever scale became an issue, "CTRL" plus "+" or "CTRL" plus "-" is all you need to do.
And if you are on of those odd people that uses mac, then I guess it is Commend with the sign. Also many multitask new mouse pad's give this option via border and scroll feature.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bob_A. (3 edits in all)

Apr 05, 2015 11:48 |  #11

samsen wrote in post #17505136 (external link)
If ever scale became an issue, "CTRL" plus "+" or "CTRL" plus "-" is all you need to do.
And if you are on of those odd people that uses mac, then I guess it is Commend with the sign. Also many multitask new mouse pad's give this option via border and scroll feature.

CTRL + and CTRL - change the size of the displayed image, but don't change the size of the menus or icons. :) Adobe doesn't scale those, so on a small screen with good resolution (like a Surface Pro 2) they are too small, and they potentially will also be on a large-ish screen with uber high resolution. I have a 24" 1900 x 122 display and wouldn't want the menu items and icons to be much smaller.

This is an problem with how Adobe designed PS CSx, not with the monitor being selected. It will be interesting to see how fast Adobe responds to update their software given the trend towards very high resolution displays.

There is a UI font size selector (small/medium/large), but it doesn't affect the top menu (just the menu below it) or the icons sizes).

This has some user feedback regarding this topic: http://feedback.photos​hop.com …blem_with_hi_re​s_monitors (external link) I guess what I'l like to know is are the 4K monitors detected like the Retina monitors where Adobe has implemented a feature to ensure things are readable?

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 05, 2015 12:57 |  #12

Yes. know exactly what you are correctly saying but that simple trick has saved my butt in a lot of situations.
Well with the price as low as $250, I actually may buy one of these Dell 4K monitors soon and should that happen, will let you know how it behaves with default set text.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 07, 2015 10:04 |  #13

Where are you seeing the Dell P2815Q for $250?? It's not an IPS panel, but a great deal at that price.
I just picked up an Acer 28" display, and am loving the extra screen real estate.

The ViewSonic VP2772 is a phenomenal monitor, excellent image quality, but there is nothing 4K about it. 2560*1440 is the native resolution.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 07, 2015 14:47 |  #14

adamo99 wrote in post #17507809 (external link)
Where are you seeing the Dell P2815Q for $250?? It's not an IPS panel, but a great deal at that price.
I just picked up an Acer 28" display, and am loving the extra screen real estate.

The ViewSonic VP2772 is a phenomenal monitor, excellent image quality, but there is nothing 4K about it. 2560*1440 is the native resolution.

HERE (external link)
But seem that deal is over only a few days after I left this note above... May be some of our smart silent readers made a bump in purchase!:)
Anyhow I have seen this deal repetitively at this price and even at one point it went down to $219...
Well You have nothing to loss by waiting.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 08, 2015 19:57 |  #15

Thank again for th info gents.

Any comments on the Dell UltraSharp U3014 (external link)? It is supposed to have 12-bit internal processing and a 14-bit look-up table (99% AdobeRGB, 100% sRGB)

Thanks!

sponsored links

7,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
What 4K Monitor to Purchase
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.