Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 13 Mar 2015 (Friday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eyefi send to Android phone?

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 13, 2015 14:25 |  #1

I'm thinking about picking up an eye-fi card for the purpose of sending select individual images to my Android phone. It that one of it's possible uses? I don't think I quite understand if this is possible.

Basically, we're going on vacation in a few weeks. I want to be able to send like a single photo I like from my DSLR to my Android so that I can email or txt. Since we're not bringing laptops with us on the trip, this will enable us to share photos on the fly.

Other solutions or recommendations?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by ericcrazyman.

Mar 15, 2015 08:08 |  #2

Depending on phone and camera you could use an android program called DSLRcontroller which controls camera with phone via cable and 5 dollar phone otg adapter. You set the software to save pics to phone then send. Another plus is veiwing screen is much bigger then camera screen. The program controls most settings in the camera.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

RMyers
412 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2015 09:23 |  #3

Yes. It appears that the latest EyeFi Mobi Pro and new app will transfer only images you mark as Protected on the camera. So that would work. Or you can get an OTG (on the go) USB adapter for the android phone and connect a card reader and just pull the images you want straight off the card.

Here a link to an Amazon search for OTG cables. They are very cheap. http://www.amazon.com …e&sprefix=otg%2​Caps%2C139 (external link)

Personally, I have the older EyeFi pro and and the original EyeFI mobi and use them for various uses, but tend to leave a regular SD card in the DSLR. The regular eyefi pro (not mobi) lives in a P&S camera that travels on my motorcycle all the time. The Mobi will go into the 7d2 for jpeg only (RAW to the CF slot) and I'll get the jpegs on my tablet. That is because my Mobi only will transfer jpeg. The new Pro model does RAW transfers too. So when traveling, the tablet is my backup and I use the OTG cable to transfer the RAW images to it. Android tablet with large added SD card. Not quite as useful as a laptop, but gets the job done.

Rusty Myers
Austin, TX
http://www.SamMyersPho​tography.com (external link)

kdvincent
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 09, 2015 00:34 |  #4

Is the Eyefi the best card to use ??
Keith

Keith, Canon 7D, 5D, 5DMII, 30D,
bunch of glass, lights and modifiers

RMyers
412 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 09, 2015 10:09 |  #5

I can't answer the "best". EyeFi was the first and the older model was great for uploading to different hosting sites (smugmug, flicker and others) and sending to your computer. The Mobi version changes that paradigm some and I'm not in love with it, but it works. Now you have Toshiba and Transcend are making them and and new company EZ Share. I know nothing about them. If my current EyeFi cards die, I'll probably check out the competition.

Rusty Myers
Austin, TX
http://www.SamMyersPho​tography.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eyefi send to Android phone?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.