Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Apr 2015 (Friday) 17:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What it's like to be a wedding photographer

EpicPhotography
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 10, 2015 17:53 |  #1

Hey everyone!

I just finished writing an article explaining EXACTLY what goes on for a wedding photographer on shoot day! It's a super good read for any beginner wedding photographers out there looking to get into the industry, or, for any pro's who need a reminder of how hard they work!! :) It's a detailed description, no fluff, step by step guide of everything including business and marketing tips too.

This is my first article ever and I would REALLY appreciate any feedback you have :)

http://weddings.epicph​otography.com.au …hotographer-on-shoot-day/ (external link)

Cheers
Chris

Chris Garbacz
Epic Photography
http://weddings.epicph​otography.com.au/ (external link)

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2015 18:47 |  #2

Nicely done. I like how you illustrated your text with matching pics.

Im one of those guys who usually doesnt eat at events, as long as I get a cup of coffee now and then I'm good to go. I have IBS and Im lactose intolerant and the last thing I need is the runs as she's coming down the asile.

One thing I do differently is I never emtpy the cards till the album is done. I have a whole batch of CF cards.

I always put everything on charge before I sleep as usually the is a reception/lunch held the following day for the grooms family with most Indian weddings that you usually get to shoot.

CoRNDoG ­ R6
338 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by CoRNDoG R6.

Apr 10, 2015 22:29 |  #3

Bookmarked your page so i can finish reading the article. So far so good! Nicely done! :lol: What gets me nervous the most is shooting the pictures of the bride and groom along with their wedding group. -? Its a tough act keeping them all entertained and involved.

Quick question: When is the cake usually cut at the weddings you've been at? I ask because you mention that you only stay up until the first dance only. Just curious if you take any photos of the bride and groom cutting the cake. :lol:

Robert
Canon 5DII | Canon 7D | Canon T1i | Canon 70-200mm 4L IS | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 17-40mm 4L | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro | Canon 50mm 1.4

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 12, 2015 00:53 |  #4

Pretty good read. Definitely a lot going on during the day. I've been lucky in that most of the weddings I've done are all at one place or the church and reception location are very close. As for the cards, I dump them on the computer and once that's done, I transfer the RAW files to an external HD. That way I have three backups, since I don't empty the cards until I've finished editing (I have a lot of cards lol) and then the original RAW files that match up with edited JPEGs get sent to the cloud, allowing me to maintain three backups at all times.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

mcap1972
151 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 12, 2015 10:10 |  #5

You just made me realize how much work is involved in this profession :lol:
I will send this link to all bargain-shopping brides, you know that type "we love your photos but we are on a tight budget"...

Avangard Photography (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 12, 2015 19:07 as a reply to  @ mcap1972's post |  #6

Those are the worst.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

EpicPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 16, 2015 15:09 as a reply to  @ FerozeK's post |  #7

Hey Ferozek!
Wow, I don't know how you survive all day without eating... Glad you enjoyed the read :)

Chris Garbacz
Epic Photography

EpicPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 16, 2015 15:12 as a reply to  @ CoRNDoG R6's post |  #8

Hey Corndog,
Yea, the bride coverage used to make me the most nervous, but after a while, like anything, you build confidence and get really good at it. It also depends on your style, I enjoy being the entertainer :)

Good question dude. Not sure where you're from but here it's common to the couple to walk in, have an entree, then cut the cake, have their first dance, and then open up the D-floor for a dance bracket with everyone. That's usually when I call it a night! Hopefully this article helped you man!!

Chris Garbacz
Epic Photography

EpicPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 16, 2015 15:13 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #9

Wow mate, that is a lot of backups!! but definitely worth being safe than sorry! I absolutely could not imagine what it would be like to lose a wedding, OMG!@!

Chris Garbacz
Epic Photography

EpicPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 16, 2015 15:15 as a reply to  @ mcap1972's post |  #10

HAHAHAHAHA, dude I get bargain bride enquiries ALL the time... We LOVE your photos, can you shoot the whole day, to the end of the reception for $500...
Yes there is so much involved, as well as a lot of work before and after the wedding actually creating the finished product!

Chris Garbacz
Epic Photography

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2015 16:47 |  #11

EpicPhotography wrote in post #17520147 (external link)
Hey Ferozek!
Wow, I don't know how you survive all day without eating... Glad you enjoyed the read :)

Lol. I have weird eating patterns in general. I can eat a really good meal for lunch or supper and generally just have coffee and sandwhiches till the following day. After the event is done I eat quite well.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 22, 2015 13:19 |  #12

day before wedding, I eat light.... just to control 'outbound' stuff on the wedding day
I do drink a fair bit of water and a couple of coffees... and never turn down any snacks usually offered during the prep portion of the day!

Still eat light at the reception... at this point of the day it would be too easy to eat too much, be tired, and get lazy for the last few hours.....

come Sunday morning... look out!!!

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Rich ­ Brown ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,161 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2015 21:27 |  #13

Nice article. I enjoyed the read and appreciated the advice given. Including images with the text is also really nice. I wish every wedding I shoot would go in such a seemingly nice order. Do you offer your brides advice on how to plan for and set aside time for photos? Every wedding is a little different in the path it takes, and how much time has been allotted for this and that. Do you have any advice on managing this, to insure there is an appropriate amount of time for photographs?

Richard Brown
Equipment: Canon EOS 5d Mark II, Canon EOS 20D, 580 EX II, EF 24-70L, EF 100L macro

Monkey ­ moss
990 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 06, 2015 12:10 |  #14

Very good Sir. Thank you for writing, as other have said on your website, that makes a great reference document. You seem to fit a lot of shots in on the day, which I guess comes from lots of practice. Do you normally have a second shooter or assistant to help? Thanks again, Jon.

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
What it's like to be a wedding photographer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.