Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Apr 2015 (Friday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should Invest in?

Tatiana99
41 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 10, 2015 13:05 |  #1

Hello all,
I currently have Canon T4i with the kit lens, I also have: 50mm f/1.8, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 40mm f/2.8 and 55-250mm f/4-5.6. I bought 28-135 ages ago as my only all around lens. The Kit lens, 40mm and 55-250 came all together as a gift. The only lens that I chose myself was 50mm f/1.8 and that is the only lens I like out of my collection.

I've been debating if I should spend my $$ on 7D MII or buy a lens or 2. I have a toddle and a baby on the way. Those are my main subjects. Plus family and friends.

I've been considering
- Canon 85mm f/1.8 (everyone seems to like it),
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or
- Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM (as I constantly feel that I need something shorter at my house),
- Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 USM (big maybe), or
- Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro

OR 7D and maybe 1 lens if I can get some money back for any of the stuff I have.

Any advice is appreciated!

sponsored links
Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 10, 2015 13:21 |  #2

My advice- keep the camera, and trim down your lenses. What do you like about the 50mm- the field of view, or the low light capabilities/wide aperture?

I love the sigma 30mm and 85mm 1.8 on a crop body, but if you go that route, no reason to keep the 40mm and 50mm.

All the STM lenses are very good value, especially if you expect to stay on a crop camera.

T4i
10-18 STM
18-55 (STM version is better, but the IS version I or II is fine)
55-250 (STM version is better, but the IS version I or II is fine)
30mm f1.4
85mm f1.8

That would be an excellent all around kit. Add an ETTL flash and you are all set.

Want to go with higher quality zooms- the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is fantastic on a crop camera, and would replace the need for the sigma 30mm. Tamron and Sigma both make the 17-50 f/2.8 lenses that are well regarded, and the 17-55 is excellent. I wouldn't upgrade the 55-250 until you are ready to drop the money on a variation of the 70-200, it's an excellent telephoto lens for the money.

Tatiana99
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 10, 2015 13:31 |  #3

I love the wide aperture in my 50mm, it gives me a nice background blur. I seem to use it a lot. I just wish I had something shorter for indoors and something similarly bright but longer or more versatile for outdoors.

Tatiana99
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 10, 2015 13:36 |  #4

and yes, I do own 430ex :)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by gremlin75.

Apr 10, 2015 19:32 |  #5

Tatiana99 wrote in post #17512136 (external link)
I love the wide aperture in my 50mm, it gives me a nice background blur. I seem to use it a lot. I just wish I had something shorter for indoors and something similarly bright but longer or more versatile for outdoors.

Then you're looking for the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 ;)

Ok while that is one option there are several others as well. I always say lenses before body. A good lens can last a life time. A body has a limited life. So spend money on good glass first.

Sell that glass you don't need or like and but lenses that you do. My favorite little kit right now is the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 , canon 50mm f1.8 mk1, and canon 85mm f1.8. A fast and portable kit for a crop camera. Obviously that may not be the best set up for you so look at what focal lengths you need and start building a list from there.

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 10, 2015 20:00 |  #6

Which kit lens do you have? I bought my T4i with the 18-135 STM.

You mentioned needing something shorter (wider). I assume whatever kit lens you have is 18mm on the wide end. You find that that too long for your needs?

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,861 posts
Gallery: 2021 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Apr 11, 2015 02:12 |  #7

Tatiana99 wrote in post #17512089 (external link)
Hello all,
I currently have Canon T4i with the kit lens, I also have: 50mm f/1.8, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 40mm f/2.8 and 55-250mm f/4-5.6. I bought 28-135 ages ago as my only all around lens. The Kit lens, 40mm and 55-250 came all together as a gift. The only lens that I chose myself was 50mm f/1.8 and that is the only lens I like out of my collection.

I've been debating if I should spend my $$ on 7D MII or buy a lens or 2. I have a toddle and a baby on the way. Those are my main subjects. Plus family and friends.

I've been considering
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or
- Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM (as I constantly feel that I need something shorter at my house),

OR 7D and maybe 1 lens if I can get some money back for any of the stuff I have.

Heya,

Really, what are you shooting? Don't look to "invest." Get stuff you actually need based on use. Or at least what you know you're wanting to get into.

Stick with the T4i. The 7D only adds the AF and FPS, but otherwise is the same image quality and ISO performance. So far you're described basically shooting candid with your family around the house and outside. You're totally fine with that T4i.

So of all your lenses, you like the 50 F1.8 the best. You like it because it has that classic look where the subject is isolated and there are out of focus areas probably?

Here's where I'd go:

Sigma 30 F1.4 (non-ART), get it used. Great indoor and out and about with kids, fast, great focal length for "everything."
Sigma 50 F1.4 (non-ART), get it used. Great outdoor on APS-C, more isolation for when you're outside and have room.
Yongnuo 565EX II (flash). Flash is essential indoors in dark homes, bounce it for fill and it looks great and soft.
(You already have a flash I see, so disregard that part)

If you find you need really wide angles in the house, the 10-18 STM makes a lot of sense, but you won't be getting those isolated blurry background shots you like. This is good however for when you're up close in a small room trying to get images with context (think christmas or something where they're tearing into stuff and you're up close and you want to get everything and the tree, this is where that 10-18 will do great, also think family get togethers where you want everyone in the photo and you're in a small room, again, that 10-18 will give you those shots).

Lastly, start researching and learning to shoot high ISO on your T4i. You can comfortably shoot that camera at ISO 6400 to get those moments when you don't want to flash or have the lights on, etc. With an F1.4 lens, you can get enough light that way to get sweet moments of your kids.

If you really want convenience you could go for one of those 17-50 F2.8 zooms, but, I don't think you'll like the aperture of F2.8 since you don't like your 40 F2.8 and prefer the 50 F1.8, that tells me you'll miss the max aperture.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 11, 2015 03:56 |  #8

If I could have only two lenses on a crop body they would be the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS and the best version of the 70-200/2.8 I could afford.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by InfiniteDivide.

Apr 11, 2015 06:20 |  #9

Keep the camera, buy the new 24mm pancake stm, shoot wide open and let the ISO crank uo.
I liked the thin DOF of my 50 f1,4 so much so, that I refused to stop down when going wider.
I bought the 24L II at more than twice the value of my T4i, best decision ever.
As the 24mm pancake didn't exist 2 years ago.

As others suggest, get the 85 f1.8 or even a used 135L for outdoors, both are excellent.

Then after 2 months or so, sell off what you don;t take with you shooting.
This is what I did. This forum has an excellent Marketplace with many buyers.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,813 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 11, 2015 10:26 |  #10

Hello all,
I currently have Canon T4i with the kit lens, I also have: 50mm f/1.8, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 40mm f/2.8 and 55-250mm f/4-5.6.

The only lens that I chose myself was 50mm f/1.8 and that is the only lens I like out of my collection.

Hmmmm. You have 5 lenses, and you only like one of them. What is it that you don't like about the others? I think that before you decide on a lens to buy, it is important for you to specifically identify what qualities you like, and what qualities you don't like, in lenses. It seems that only after doing that will you be able to make a sound decision/purchase.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2015 15:35 |  #11

you don't need a 7DII in my opinion unless you're shooting sports, or wildlife...so stick with what you've got

i'd add a wider prime...but something faster than f2.8, if you're happy with f2.8 there are plenty of stabilized zooms in the 17-5Xmm range that would work

i'd look at either the 35f2, or sigma 30mm f1.4...then maybe add a long prime, 85, f1.8, or 100f2...and swap your 28-135IS for an 18-135STM

so you'd be left with a wider prime, a regular prime, and a longer prime...and then two zooms for when you don't need the speed

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tatiana99
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by Tatiana99.

Apr 13, 2015 08:36 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #12

Never sold anything. Where do you find most success selling you lenses?
And also buying used lenses?

Tatiana99
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by Tatiana99.

Apr 13, 2015 08:37 as a reply to  @ crbinson's post |  #13

My kit lens was 18-55, no that length would be great, but I wish it had bigger aperture.

Tatiana99
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 13, 2015 11:37 |  #14

And in terms of my needs and what I shoot - right now mainly my running toddler plus some family, occasional travel and landscape. I guess I'm looking to find a lens(es) that creates nice creamy blur and allows me to be a little closer than my 50mm 1.8 with my cropped sensor. So for that I need something short and wide. And maybe a medium zoom for outdoors, again something that creates nice blur.
Thanks!!

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by amfoto1. (2 edits in all)

Apr 13, 2015 12:32 |  #15

Hello all,

I've been considering
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or

This is kinda funny, but IMO the worst lens in your collection is the one you like best... the EF 50/1.8 (assuming it's the II). Decent image quality, but marginal AF at best and minimal build quality. I'd be replacing that first, with the EF 50/1.4 USM or one of the Sigma 50/1.4 (which are much larger and heavier, as well as more expensive).

The 40/2.8 "pancake" is nice if you want a really compact lens.

Feeling cramped shooting indoors? Forget the 10-18mm STM if you want to shoot portraits! Way too much wide angle distortion for portraiture! Okay, it might be good for silly, humorous shots of people (big noses, tiny ears and other exaggerated body parts). But not for more serious stuff and the family photo album.

Instead get the Sigma 30/1.4 DG HSM or a Canon EF 28/1.8 USM or EF 35/2 IS USM. Those are about as wide as you want to go shooting portraits, but even these need to be used with care, not too close. I'd be more confident of the focus performance of the Canon lenses, vs the Sigma. The 85.18 is a nice portrait lens, too... but not if you are already cramped for space. It's more of a stand-off, candid shooting telephoto used on a crop camera such as yours.

The 28-135mm is a nice daytime, walk-around lens. Outdoors in daylight it's fast focusing and good tracking moving subjects, thanks to USM. When I need to hike a ways with my gear and want to lighten my load, I swap 28-135 for both 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 IS, saving a couple pounds weight and a lot of space in my camera bag! For all practical purposes, it's near impossible to tell apart images from 28-135 and the two L-series. A lens that I'd consider instead of the 28-135 would be the EF-S 15-85 IS USM... very high image quality and a neat range of focal lengths on a crop sensor camera, plus IS (same as the 28-135 has). And, yes, the 18-135 IS STM is another alternative... It offers a bit more wide angle range than the 28-135, but no better IS or image quality and STM focus drive isn't quite as fast or good at tracking as USM. OTOH, if you want to shoot videos the STM would be preferable.

The EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM is a very nice lens too. Sharp, fast focusing, and f2.8. Would be another solution for those cramped indoor shooting conditions, so long as you are careful not too use it too wide or too close. It's also rather pricey.

Either setup can work: A fast f2.8 zoom like the 17-55 alone. Or a slower "walk-around" zoom (28-135 or 15-85) combined with one or two faster primes (28/1.8 and 50/1.4). The latter combo offers up to two stops larger aperture than any zoom, but makes for more gear to haul around. The focal length range covered by the walk-around/pair of primes combo is also much greater than the f2.8 zoom offers.

When the kids are a little older and getting into outdoor play and sports, the longer telephoto may become more important. The 55-250 is pretty decent optically. If it's the STM version, it's pretty good focusing too. But a higher performance tele zoom such as EF 70-200/4 IS USM or EF 70-300 IS USM would be even better for fast moving action.

Forget the EF 50/2.5 Compact Macro if macro is your purpose. The EF-S 60/2.8 Macro is actually a better deal with much better USM focus (vs micro motor in the 50/2.5). The 60mm is an internal focusing (IF) 1:1 macro lens. The older 50mm isn't IF and is 1:2 only, unless you also buy the 1:1 adapter which ends up costing more than the 60mm. Also, 50mm macro lenses put you pretty darned close to your subjects. 60mm is a little better. If you are serious about shooting macro I'd recommend something in the 90mm to 105mm range instead. But if it's just an occasional macro use and you want it to serve dual purpose as a portrait lens too, 60mm may be fine. An alternative is the Tamron SP 60/2.0 Macro/Portrait lens. It's also IF and 1:1, and offers a full stop larger f2 aperture that makes it even nicer for portraits. But it is a micro motor lens so not as fast focusing and cannot track movement as well as the USM Canon lens can.

So, what I'd suggest is:

EF-S 10-18mm..... maybe. But forget it for indoor portraits! This is a scenic/landscape/archi​tecture lens.
EF 28/1.8, Siggy 30/1.4, EF 35/2 IS USM, EF 50/1.4 (upgrade from 50/1.8), EF 85/1.8 are all good low light/available light, portrait lenses.
EF 40/2.8... keep it if you like it for its small size. Can be used for indoor portraits, but more likely to also need a flash with it.
EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM would be a significant upgrade from an EF-S 18-55mm "kit" lens, especially if you choose not to go with a smaller aperture walk-around zoom + a prime or two or three.
EF-S 15-85 IS USM or EF-S 18-135m IS STM... or just keep the EF 28-135 IS USM as a walk-around lens. Any of these might work so long as you choose to use some primes, too.
EF-S 55-250mm, keep it if adequate or upgrade to EF 70-200 IS USM or 70-300 IS USM.
EF-S 60/2.8 for macro (can also serve in place of 50/1.4 &/or 85/1.8 for portraits, except those lenses have larger apertures... thus the alternative Tamron 60/2.0).

7DII would offer better AF performance than your current camera, useful for sports/action. Also likely about one stop more usable high ISO. However, it's serious overkill just for family photos and portraits. 70D or the new T6i/T6s might be a better choice at much lower price. Or instead just stick with the camera you've got and get better lenses to use on it.

If you don't already have one, an accessory flash might be a good idea. One can allow slower lenses to be adequate for indoor/low light shooting, as well as freeze movement. Built-in flashes of these cameras are underpowered, more rapidly drain the camera's battery, and are in the worst possible location for redeye and ugly shadow effects. An accessory flash, especially if used on a flash bracket with an off-camera shoe cord, is much more powerful, has its owner power supply, and can help reduce redeye and shadow issues when used right. Most accessory flashes also are considerably faster recycling and many have a Focus Assist feature, too.

You've got some good choices that you already own or have on your short list for consideration... as well as some that I personally wouldn't choose. The main thing is knowing what they might or might not do for you, since your needs are bound to be different from mine.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

12,913 views & 6 likes for this thread
What should Invest in?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.