Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 07 Apr 2015 (Tuesday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D or 7D?

cemeterygirl808
297 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by cemeterygirl808. (2 edits in all)

Apr 07, 2015 09:39 |  #1

My beloved 60D is dead, I have been borrowing a friends nikon d40. I need another canon! My question is this.. I have the choice of a 60D, 70D or 7D. They come out to around the same price for me.. the only problem im having is which I should get.. I love the flipping screen on the 60D, Im used to it, I know all the controls..it did me good. But the 7D is weather sealed, and I shoot in storms, rain, sand, dirty places, on the ground, in the woods..etc.. And I could really use the extra focus points, but alot of reviews I have read said its not really much of an upgrade.. and just stick with the 60D.. I shoot moving children, wildlife, animals, parties, etc. I dont use the video mode often, if at all.. but its between a camera i know well with the swivel screen, or the weather sealed with extra focal points. I dont know much about the 70D. I read that the 7d has more noise? If there is someone that has used both and can help me decide.. I would be grateful.. I wont be buying extra lenses or anything.. just new memory cards and the body. [and yes, i know they take different cards] Thanks for the help!

I need the best camera for under $800. preferably with a warranty so not a used one..

::CHASITY::
..:Canon 60D // 50mm 1.8 // 55-250mm // Tamron 17-55 2.8 // [Gankedup] Canon 18-55 IS // Bg-e9 vertical battery grip // Westcott 45" Umbrella // YN460 II speedlight // filters // cards // extra battery // an eye for beauty // a love for photo-magic // a lotta yada yada yada:..

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 07, 2015 11:04 |  #2

As far as noise is concerned, all three are very similar to ISO 6400. At ISO 12800 only the 70D has it as native, the other two are pushing it electronically.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

In my experience, it is very seldom I need to use ISO12800 so I think it is a non-issue, you have to choose based on other features you 'need' and price, of course.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Cflaisch
259 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 07, 2015 15:50 |  #3

I much preferred my 7d to a 60d. More so for the button layout than the image quality. Image quality is pretty close all across the board.

www.cameronflaischphot​ography.com (external link)
Instagram: cameron_flaisch_photo

cemeterygirl808
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 07, 2015 16:45 |  #4

Im just unbelievably indecisive.. Id like to have the 70D i need to be able to justify the cost over the others though.. lol. If it were you guys, and you had to choose between the three, which would you go with? I need peoples opinions to compare it to.. yea i know.. i know.. lol

..:Canon 60D // 50mm 1.8 // 55-250mm // Tamron 17-55 2.8 // [Gankedup] Canon 18-55 IS // Bg-e9 vertical battery grip // Westcott 45" Umbrella // YN460 II speedlight // filters // cards // extra battery // an eye for beauty // a love for photo-magic // a lotta yada yada yada:..

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 07, 2015 16:54 |  #5

For what is worth, I just ordered a used 70d from lens rentals for $750. They offer a one year warranty for $17. Knowing how excellent their service records are, I doubt you'll find a better deal.

B & H also has the 60d for $479, but I decided to spend the extra for the 70d. Better auto focus system, cleaner high iso, and mfa, along with the touch screen justified the extra cost for me.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 07, 2015 16:55 |  #6

For sports or wildlife it is kind of hard to beat the 7D on price, especially the refurbished price of them.

What features of the 70D do you like that you can't get in the other bodies? Is it worth the price jump for you?

Also while the 7D is fairly resistant to weather, but it is still a good idea to provide an external protection for it if you're out in anything more than a fairly light rain. It is harder to kill than other bodies, but it isn't completely bullet proof.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

cemeterygirl808
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 07, 2015 17:00 |  #7

im quite fond of the swivel screen for when im shooting lightning storms.... im not very fond of having to swap over to CF cards instead of SD cards. I do shoot in low light for boudoir and weddings sometimes. i like that the 70d is 20mp but not that it is $800+.

cemeterygirl808
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 07, 2015 18:10 |  #8

I can get a refurbished 70d for $789 from the canon loyalty program..I'm thinking I may go with it.

moJoePDX
305 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 08, 2015 00:40 |  #9

You mentioned the swivel screen..70D has the swivel screen :) only thing I dislike about the 70D is the lack of WB button. You have to go through your menu option to select/change it. You can press the 'Q' button to make changes to your settinge via LCD but you still have to touch the WB tab then select which one you want. Wish they made it programable under the custom setting fuction to use one of the other buttons for it. My solution is to leave it at AWB and then do some minor adjustment during PP.

Are you strongly leaning towards 70D?

cemeterygirl808
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 08, 2015 09:17 |  #10

I made the purchase last night. If I didn't just pick the one I liked and buy it I would flip flop on it forever and never commit. I bought the 70d. I think it will do me good. Its newer and has more mp..faster processor..honestly the swivel Did it for me.. I use it a lot. And between the 7 and 70. It was the deal maker.lol.thank y'all!

moJoePDX
305 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 08, 2015 15:03 |  #11

Congratulations! I went back and forth between the 7D and 70D as well. I used to have a Rebel XS (1000D) and then a T4i and I don't really care much for the swivel screen. I read a lot of reviews on both cameras and did a lot of comparing/contrasting and ended up with the 70D due to the touch screen.

Enjoy your new camera!

cemeterygirl808
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 10, 2015 08:00 |  #12

the touch screen, wifi, and swivel locked it in for me. i shoot alot of nature, odd angles,Im only 5'1 so.. IM SHORT. Swivel is nifty for me. haha. Currently waiting for the delivery guy to bring it to me in a hell of a thunderstorm. Ill be sure to post pics when it comes in ;]

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 10, 2015 20:38 as a reply to  @ cemeterygirl808's post |  #13

Don't think you will regret the decision. Enjoy your new camera,

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

sponsored links

2,082 views & 2 likes for this thread
60D or 7D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.