Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos for OSx

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,855 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by M_Six.

Apr 09, 2015 10:34 |  #1

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but using "Photos" as a search term on this site is understandably useless. :lol:

"Photos for OSx" is now available. Looks like direct competition to LR. Maybe not quite as in-depth, but not bad considering it's free for OSx users.

http://www.apple.com/o​sx/photos/ (external link)

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,528 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2015 10:38 |  #2

I updated this morning and played with it for 5 minutes - complete waste of time. Aperture users who fear that they have been abandoned by Apple have every right to feel this way. At this point in its development, it appears to be useful for someone who takes most of their photos with a mobile device and likes to edit those images on a desktop/laptop instead of on the device.

Lightroom has nothing to worry about.

kirk

Kirk
---

M_Six
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,855 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by M_Six.

Apr 09, 2015 10:40 |  #3

kirkt wrote in post #17510655 (external link)
I updated this morning and played with it for 5 minutes - complete waste of time. Aperture users who fear that they have been abandoned by Apple have every right to feel this way. At this point in its development, it appears to be useful for someone who takes most of their photos with a mobile device and likes to edit those images on a desktop/laptop instead of on the device.

Lightroom has nothing to worry about.

kirk

Wow, good info. I haven't tried it yet, but that certainly makes me glad I have PS. I don't use LR, so I can't compare. But I figured for a free product it wouldn't satisfy middle to advanced LR users. Will it read RAW files, at least?

Mark J.
Gear

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,528 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by kirkt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 09, 2015 11:06 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #4

I will say right up front that I used it for about five minutes. I made an "Album" with a mix of raw, DNG, JPEG and TIFF files. I could "edit" a raw file - but that simply means that I could use the ham-handed minimal controls that are provided and the image would change. It is puzzling that a raw file does not expose more controls commensurate with editing a raw file. For example, there is no white balance control, just a "cast" slider. The interface is horrible - you do not see any file information, including the file name, displayed under, around or across the title bar - you need to open a floating "info" window just to know what file type, for example, you are looking at and editing.

What a mess - they basically made the iPhone/iPad Photos app into a desktop app. Nothing like telling your users you're too dumb to deserve better by foisting this crap on them, and abandoning the professional Aperture application. I don't really even use Aperture all that much and it makes me disappointed; however, I've used Macs since the late 80's and I have watched the steady decline of quality pro-level software and thoughtful OS design into a morass of bug-laden, dumbed down iDevice driven garbage with despair.

Here is the TechCrunch review of Photos:

http://techcrunch.com …8/photos-for-os-x-review/ (external link)

After reading it, you will realize that Photos is for people who like to take photos with their devices and not for photographers who demand a professional application. I could see the introduction of Photos as a revamp of iPhoto being a step in the right direction for the casual user, IF APPLE CONTINUED to improve and develop Aperture in parallel for professional and advanced amateur users who demand and expect more. It appears that once Steve Jobs died, Apple marketing people and thought leaders steered the ship on a completely different tack.

If you are into photography and image editing, you will be offended when you open Photos and try to use it.

Luckily we Mac users have many choices in the raw converter department. Time to move on.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

jc1350
152 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by jc1350.

Apr 09, 2015 11:47 |  #5

I switched to LR from Aperture when the news broke last June or whenever that was. I've been learning LR and one thing where LR isn't as good is slideshows. Unless an update since I first bought LR changed it, you can have only 1 sound(song) file for a LR slideshow. Sure, you can combine them into one larger file, but why bother?

I agree that Apple's Photos.app is meant for phones and such with all the auto-syncing. I was pleasantly surprised to see highlights and shadows sliders, though. But in the end, I'll stick with LR for just about everything.

Photos.app (and iPhoto before that) does have some strengths:

1. slideshows can have multiple sound files for background music and some other automatic interaction with my Mac software
2. icloud syncing - photos are synced on iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, and desktops/laptops (both Mac OS and MS Windows)

I'll use both of these to some degree. I have an AppleTV and could use that for showing some photos to family. I also have an Amazon FireTV Stick which for me is much more useful in general (Amazon Prime). Now I just need an easy/automatic way to keep Amazon synced with either icloud or certain photos from LR.

EDIT: I made sure I turned off auto-upload from the phone. While that may be useful to some, it's a a complete waste for me. I use the phone for nothing more than snapshots of something I see in a store and send to my wife for her opinion, or when I have NO other camera and really want to capture something. I don't need my photo stream or whatever filled with stuff like that.

--
John

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,528 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2015 12:44 |  #6

I sort of thought that there was one slim, glimmer of hope for Aperture users- using Photos as a DAM that syncs with devices or whatever. I noticed there was a "Share" menu item - with an entry to share to Aperture (see attached screenshot).

I thought to myself, well I suppose you could structure your albums and collections or whatever in Photos, and then "Share" them to Aperture, where that Project structure would be preserved. Maybe that would work with keywording in Photos too. Let me note that I do not really use Aperture all that much, and I do not use DAM applications, I just make logical folders on my drives. I don't keyword or GPS tag or any of that.

I made an Album in Photos of some raw, DNG, tiff and JPEGs. I then "Shared" this with Aperture. I opened Aperture and there was a new project with my files in it! Except when I tried to edit them none of the raw controls were available - turns out "Sharing" makes everything a JPEG. I hope I did something wrong to get this result - otherwise, WTF?

Wow.

The Preferences dialog gives you no options for anything other than what cloud services you want to enable.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

M_Six
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2015 17:43 |  #7

Thanks for the preview. I'm pretty happy with my workflow now, and I don't see anything here that would make me want to add another app that doesn't make life easier.

Mark J.
Gear

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,768 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 09, 2015 17:49 |  #8

I don't even use the Apple program to edit my photos and I hate this new program. Ugh. Dumbed down indeed.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,699 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 10, 2015 04:23 |  #9

I was considering a change to Apple Mac for my next desktop system, I've not used a Mac since graduating from University in 1995, where we used some very early all in one Mac's for running Spice circuit simulations in one of the electronics labs. Anyway I had been considering the Mac Mini. I was discouraged by these announcements regarding Aperture and iPhotos, mostly because you don't want to see support dropped for what was considered for many years as one of Apples main strengths, graphics applications. Then finding out that actually you could no longer upgrade the RAM in a mini anymore, you had to buy it with however much RAM you might want from the get go. As I was considering upgrading the machine from 8 to 16 GB having to pay twice as much for Apple to install the machine with 16GB than I could buy 16GB of branded. RAM for at retail (and I would still have had the 8GB that came with the computer originally to resell). Apple wanting £250 for the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is nothing but extortionate. So much as I am getting fed up with Microsoft at least one only has to pay commodity prices for commodity parts in the hardware. I just hope Windows 10 is better than 8, because trying to build a desktop operating system that uses a keyboard and mouse that operates as if it were a pad with a touchscreen is pretty dumb too IMO.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

jc1350
152 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 10, 2015 06:59 |  #10

BigAl007 wrote in post #17511644 (external link)
I was considering a change to Apple Mac for my next desktop system, I've not used a Mac since graduating from University in 1995, where we used some very early all in one Mac's for running Spice circuit simulations in one of the electronics labs. Anyway I had been considering the Mac Mini. I was discouraged by these announcements regarding Aperture and iPhotos, mostly because you don't want to see support dropped for what was considered for many years as one of Apples main strengths, graphics applications. Then finding out that actually you could no longer upgrade the RAM in a mini anymore, you had to buy it with however much RAM you might want from the get go. As I was considering upgrading the machine from 8 to 16 GB having to pay twice as much for Apple to install the machine with 16GB than I could buy 16GB of branded. RAM for at retail (and I would still have had the 8GB that came with the computer originally to resell). Apple wanting £250 for the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is nothing but extortionate. So much as I am getting fed up with Microsoft at least one only has to pay commodity prices for commodity parts in the hardware. I just hope Windows 10 is better than 8, because trying to build a desktop operating system that uses a keyboard and mouse that operates as if it were a pad with a touchscreen is pretty dumb too IMO.

Alan

I find Mac OS to be superior to MS Windows for my needs (I'm a Linux sysadmin by trade so the Mac, being UNIX, fits in nicely). But, the way Apple treats hardware as very-expensive throw-aways is very disappointing. The iMac is getting to be the same way. You can replace RAM, but if your HD dies you have to let Apple replace it. Some things should always be user-replaceable and HDs and RAM are two of them.

--
John

low-1
159 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2015 13:22 |  #11

As a faithful Aperture user for the last 5+ years, I signed up for and installed LR and PS CC last week. So far I am quite happy with Lightroom.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,699 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 10, 2015 17:37 |  #12

jc1350 wrote in post #17511720 (external link)
I find Mac OS to be superior to MS Windows for my needs (I'm a Linux sysadmin by trade so the Mac, being UNIX, fits in nicely). But, the way Apple treats hardware as very-expensive throw-aways is very disappointing. The iMac is getting to be the same way. You can replace RAM, but if your HD dies you have to let Apple replace it. Some things should always be user-replaceable and HDs and RAM are two of them.

The hardware thing with Apple was a little understandable back when they used non Intel systems, but now that they are also using commodity Intel hardware just like Microsoft there is absolutely no excuse for it. Especially as you say when it comes down to RAM and drives. As you say the fact that OSX is based on a *NIX distribution that did appeal to me to. Although I did use Mac at University I used far more Unix systems, mostly Sun and DEC Alpha workstations. Used to spend a lot of time in what we euphemistically called the Sun Lounge They had the only 22" monitors on campus. That was 92-95. I used to run several Linux machines at home at one time. Actually a Linux solution would suit me great, if only Adobe would port the Creative Suit programs to it. I'm sure it shouldn't be that hard, considering it's on OSX already.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

connor8100
71 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 11, 2015 06:38 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #13

I have a 2008 iMac that I changed the hard drive in. I'm not a computer tech or electronics whiz by any stretch. Little youtube and information from OWC (Other World Computing) and within an hour I had a new 2 tb drive installed with no lost info. Copied everything over before installation using a universal drive adapter. Couple of Harbor freight suction cups and the glass pulls right off the front, held on by magnets. I do need to upgrade as the machine is getting slow, won't hesitate on buying another. As for Apple not supporting aperture anymore , guess I'll finally have to go to LR or something else next time. Chris

jc1350
152 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 11, 2015 13:45 as a reply to  @ connor8100's post |  #14

My point is you shouldn't have to jump through hoops like that to replace the HD. It should be in user-accessable compartment like the RAM is. Get some lint or a smudge behind the glass when you reassemble and you will drive yourself mad until you rip it apart again.

--
John

MikeWL
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 20, 2015 16:38 |  #15

Sigh... A life-long Apple user here but I have to agree with all of the negative comments about Photos above. I guess I need to look at LR. Ugh.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM

sponsored links

2,425 views & 2 likes for this thread
Photos for OSx
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.