Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Mar 2015 (Wednesday) 13:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What camera to get for video?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 31, 2015 10:16 |  #16

As I understand, the 70D and 7D2 have pretty smooth autofocus, with the 70D having the advantage of touchscreen.

I will tell you that you will definately be able to tell the difference between the video shot from the 1/3 sensor on the panasonic and the APS-C sensor on the DSLR. That is a pretty drastic difference. I have a friend who does this for a living and says he has a hard time mixing m4/3 and APS-C video depending on the situation.

Either commit to shooting with a DSLR (or a large sensor rig like the ASP-C nex camcorders), or go for smaller sensors. There are several here who have found it pretty easy to set up a DSLR as a Shoulder mounted ENG rig. As for a handheld ENG, that might take some getting used to.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
640 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 11, 2015 20:41 |  #17

Bump.

Panasonic HC-X1000 | Canon 600D Gripped | Canon 7D Gripped
Canon Rebel T2 | GoPro Hero 4 Black
EF-S 15-85mm || EF-S 18-135mm IS USM || EF-S 18-55mm IS II ||
EF 70-300mm L || Samyang 8mm Fish eye CS II

drifter106
553 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 18, 2015 18:17 |  #18

just purchased a 5d mark III....in my reviewing to make my purchase "video" was a prime concern for me. After about 2 months of research one thing I am glad that I did find AND utilize was knowing whatever lens I get it needs or should have IS. After doing some filming with and without the IS it was very obvious that I made the right decision. Have tried filming with my 50 f/1.4...nice video ability but it doesn't carry a candle to my canon 24-105 f/4 IS insofar as stability is concerned. The only thing that would supersede the IS is a type of tripod or even a monopod.

One thing to remember...this is my "approach" to the filming thing. I am an ole man with weak arms....lol

good luck...

john

Gear
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 18, 2015 21:02 |  #19

In regards to IS on a lens, this is from my friend who does videography for a living.

--The only time you should use a lens without IS is on a very stable tripod or with a Steadycam setup.

The 24-105 does seem to be a favorite among video people.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
What camera to get for video?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.