Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Apr 2015 (Sunday) 15:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Do I properly Accept a 50% Deposit for Scheduling a Future Shoot?

MaggyDay
40 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MaggyDay.

Apr 12, 2015 15:49 |  #1

Until now, I have always accepted full payment for sessions the day of the session, usually after the photos were taken. I am in the process of scheduling a maternity session and a newborn session in advance for the same client. She is paying me 50% of both sessions right now. Then, the other half of each session the day it is held. She asked if there is a receipt or or contract I can send after she makes the payment and I said "absolutely!" but..I really am not sure what I need to send her! Any help would be very appreciated.

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 12, 2015 16:37 |  #2

MaggyDay wrote in post #17514471 (external link)
Until now, I have always accepted full payment for sessions the day of the session, usually after the photos were taken. I am in the process of scheduling a maternity session and a newborn session in advance for the same client. She is paying me 50% of both sessions right now. Then, the other half of each session the day it is held. She asked if there is a receipt or or contract I can send after she makes the payment and I said "absolutely!" but..I really am not sure what I need to send her! Any help would be very appreciated.

Well the contract should already be signed before money exchanges hands. You could give her an invoice that lists the amount of the session, the amount she has paid as a deposit and a balance owning.

aaronhentges
300 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 12, 2015 16:44 |  #3

You can use an app I use for my iPhone called. Photographers contract maker
It's awesome totally customizable, sign and send contacts via email and then can be printed.

Deltona, Florida

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,355 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 12, 2015 19:05 |  #4

You do not necessarily need to use a 'contract' form per se. You can provide a handwritten receipt of cash payment, specifying the client's name and your business name, the date, how much money was exchanged, and a description like
"down payment of 50% for (description of job to be completed, and the probable completion date)", which protects you both in the event of some dispute.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 12, 2015 21:27 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #17514728 (external link)
You do not necessarily need to use a 'contract' form per se. You can provide a handwritten receipt of cash payment, specifying the client's name and your business name, the date, how much money was exchanged, and a description like
"down payment of 50% for (description of job to be completed, and the probable completion date)", which protects you both in the event of some dispute.

This.

You could also buy receipts blocks at your local Staples.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by sspellman.

Apr 13, 2015 10:22 |  #6

I use PayPal for all deposits for first time clients before confirming schedule. It creates a receipt, notifies me by email whenever payment is made, takes almost no time, and eliminates fraud or check issues.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

MaggyDay
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 13, 2015 22:42 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #7

Thank you! That is what I did! :)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 24, 2015 02:34 |  #8

In my contract, it's stated that the 50 percent deposit is due upon return of the signed contract and not until I have that plus the money, is the date locked in. I also prefer paypal, for the same reasons as the other poster. A check is a last resort IMO. Most people have paypal and if they don't, they can get cash at the bank.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,959 posts
Gallery: 321 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 24, 2015 03:32 |  #9

Many people view paypal as a safe way to receive money, The client can dispute the payment with paypal and request them to issue a refund. Which PP are all to happy to do. Having had it happen to me I'd almost prefer a cheque but for the hassle of having to cash it and wait five days for it to clear.

My invoices state the total amount, whether a retainer/deposit is paid and the balance due by date.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,240 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 24, 2015 17:19 |  #10

I do not use the phrase "deposit" because the client may interpret it as refundable if they change their mind. I call it a retainer so I can put them on my schedule. You need to send them an estimate which states what they will receive and how payment will be made. I will offer a 5% discount if the client pays in full in advance but I'm working with large companies and that 5% can be $1K and they often take advantage of it. Your paperwork is a reflection of how you run your business and it's how you maintain cash flow. If your paperwork is not in order, you will be chasing invoices rather than being productive.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 24, 2015 19:13 as a reply to  @ tcphoto1's post |  #11

In my contract it is stipulated that this deposit is non-refundable. Even in the event of a cancellation of the wedding. Retainer might be more apt, but the same principle applies; if they change their mind, that money is gone, regardless.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,168 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 3 years ago by Dan Marchant.

Apr 24, 2015 21:58 |  #12

(Subject to differences in local laws, obviously) It doesn't matter what you call it or if you say it is non-refundable. Courts can and do side with clients and require Deposits/Retainers to be refunded unless you have specific language in the contract. Put simply, when you contract to supply a service, money isn't due until you actually supply the service. So, if the client cancels in advance and the service isn't performed you can't keep the money.

The contract needs to be clear that the deposit/retainer is to cover losses incurred and isn't a penalty charge for cancellation.
A couple of blog posts on the subject....
http://www.legalphotop​ro.com …-l-law-for-photographers/ (external link)
http://weddingindustry​law.com …osits-contract-cancelled/ (external link)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Davevw3
173 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2014

May 13, 2015 00:22 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #13

Im not in business, but those were good reads! Hopefully someday (Maybe after I retire from my still unfolding career) I will be able to use these!

Thanks for sharing

"Smile, nod, and back away."

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 19, 2015 14:56 |  #14

Last couple are exactly true. A deposit/retainer is a prepayment on products or services. If never actioned you can only keep funds for actual damages.

Call it something else and you have a fighting chance. Call it a booking fee.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

fontanka
242 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 17, 2015 16:53 |  #15

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17530405 (external link)
Many people view paypal as a safe way to receive money, The client can dispute the payment with paypal and request them to issue a refund. Which PP are all to happy to do. Having had it happen to me I'd almost prefer a cheque but for the hassle of having to cash it and wait five days for it to clear.

My invoices state the total amount, whether a retainer/deposit is paid and the balance due by date.

100% agreed.

www.AnnaMuhhinaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/AnnaM​uhhinaPhotography (external link)

sponsored links

4,086 views & 5 likes for this thread
How Do I properly Accept a 50% Deposit for Scheduling a Future Shoot?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.