Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 08 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 19:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AMASS 1.33 Changelog (advance information)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,784 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pekka with reason 'speling'. (3 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2015 19:35 |  #1

What is done in AMASS 1.33, in no particular order of importance

THESE CHANGES ARE NOT APPLIED HERE YET (apart from some small fixes that do not require large code changes, those are already working here). This version (1.1) will be updated to version 1.33 in two weeks time, or earlier.

Bug Fixes

Automatic URL activation: fixed a bug with domain validity check.

After a member rename: in some places old username was displayed. Fixed.

Removed top menu "reposition flicker" (clearly seen with slow connections).

Fixed the calculated metadata ISO value resulted by Canon AUTO ISO mode.

Member counter on index page was not updating. Fixed.

Added a password reset page (been there a while).

Added a gallery link and photo count under post count. Only shown if there are images in the gallery (forum filtering is taken into account).

IMG Fetch tool in post editor: added support for some newer Smugmug gallery layouts.

Fixed a bug where you get "remove from gallery" button when the photo is not in the gallery after submitting an edit.

Fixed several issues in image upload tool regarding pre-AMASS attachments and post editing.

Fixed Image Uploader "in gallery" warning to be trustworthy. I'll add a "remove from gallery" button on uploader UI later.

Image uploader failed to store the other uploaded image (rarely). This is now fixed.

Removed email DNS (MX) check from registration. It has too often false results.

The "title hint", a gray bar which appears when you scroll past the thread title, has now a working notification list link (toggler). It appears only when there are notifications to see and it is not boxed any more (less visual distraction for the corner of the eye).

A small fix to title editing: now the active area to click for title editing is not exceeding the lenght of the title.

500px embedcode treatment fixed: 500px have now a mixed set of URLs in their embed code depending on sizes, and some sizes are served from domain drscdn.500px.org without image type extension. Those are now rendered normally. If you use the AMASS fetch tool, the correct size is picked from a non-drscdn server.

Fixed some invalid html code in video embedding.

Fixed a bug in PM thread builder, now multiple replies to same PM are all shown in PM thread.

Allowed Flickr to serve text/plain images (only if an image file extension is found).

RTAT's flakey event timing info is now fixed..

Other minor bug fixes here and there.

----

New Features

Added to FYEO: "PM Settings". It contains "allow sending me PM" and "PM notification" settings.

PM notifications.

Added some gear stats to gear page, with links to respective gallery (filtered by that gear id).
IN MEMBERS' GEAR LISTS: TOP 25
GALLERY PHOTOS: CAMERAS TOP 25
GALLERY PHOTOS: LENSES TOP 25
OVERALL METADATA IN PHOTOS: CAMERAS TOP 25
OVERALL METADATA IN PHOTOS: LENSES TOP 25
.. more to come, like full camera settings stats.

New PMs in PM threads has now a "new" label as in forum threads.

Gear pages have now links to the Gallery and "Best Of" filtered by that gear. Gear page galleries has only 1 "page" of 50 latest photos, as the embedded gallery was not suitable for back button browsing.

Gear owner list is now shown to logged members (no need to click "show list") on gear pages.

In gear pages specs are suppressed if they do not contain it all. Adding all specs to (all 700+) lenses will start after this update.

Thread titles in forum thread lists now point to page 1. This is to make AMASS more compatible with the way all other forum work, make it better for the search engines and reduce confusion where the link goes. On thread page you have a "GO TO FIRST UNREAD" command (if thread is not followed). So, on thread listing pages you have possible options (all like before except the title link):

Thread title -> to top of page 1
Small page links -> to top of the respective page (first or last page)

Unread info on the title row are pretty self-explanatory:
"go to first new" -> to first new notified post (followed threads)
"go to first unread" -> to next unread page (vanilla read marking)
"(nothing new) go to first unseen of x" -> to first unseen post in followed thread. The thread has no new notifications but you have either missed to read x posts here and there or cleared notifications without reading.

Added automatic EXIF retrieval and metadata fill after post submit. You'll see a "Retrieving EXIF..." info in place on metadata editor link, and when EXIF is parsed the metadata is filled there (and you can then edit it normally). If a camera and a lens are found, you'll get a prominent "click here to add in your gallery" plate. If you close the browser or move on without waiting for the EXIF results, the automatic retrieval is still being done and you'll see the results on the next page reload. Automatic EXIF retrieval happens also after post edit, or can be triggered by mods. Any of the existing metadata items for the image are never replaced (even when wrong) by the automation, but all empty items are filled if there is valid EXIF data for them.

You can sort forums by thread or latest post. This setting is always remembered (across all your browsers), and is separate for each forum. Sort order column is noted by a white triangle on listing column header.

Signature html rendering fixed: broken smiley/link images are working now.

All duplicate gear items left, marked with (dupl.), are changed to correct item for all members. Duplicate items are removed from listings.

"Heads up" popup is now designed better, so that closing button is both on top and bottom, and always visible (on small screens it needed a double scroll to the the close button).

Likes are now producing a "Heads Up!" for the liked member.

Marketplace changes: we decided to make things much simpler and easier:

All can see all marketplace forums (so also search engines can index FS/WTB threads), 30/30 posting rule is still valid.

Default thread display order for marketplace forums is the same as elsewhere: latest post first. You can change the order on thread listing to "by thread" or "by post" by clicking the column header.

Marketplace bump rules will be:

1. You may reply to each individual post by other posters just once, in each thread.
2. You may not reply to your own thread/post within X hours.

X = 24 hours at first, let's see how it goes. The bump rules allow normal discussions and self reply (bump) each 24 hours. If you can't bump yet and there is new info to be given, you can always edit your posts.

Marketplace bump rules are automatically enforced: if your attempt to post is against bump rules, you'll get info about that when post editor should open.

FYEO lets you change the registration email. You'll need to input current password and the new email twice, the new email will be validated as in registration (but no test mail is sent).

Gear items added.

.. & more to come (more gear categories etc., followed thread email notification is the major missing feature remaining, that will be a priority "to do" after 1.33).

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,946 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 08, 2015 20:12 |  #2

That's a significant list Pekka, Wow. The changes/improvements look good!
Looking forward to trying some of this out.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

GibJock
Kill killer
9,825 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Mar 09, 2015 03:53 |  #3

Is that all? What do you do in your spare time, take pics? :lol:

Keep up the good, sorry, great work Pekka!

flickr (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 09, 2015 06:39 |  #4

Pekka wrote in post #17466434 (external link)
Thread titles in forum thread lists now point to page 1.

A sincere thank you.

Website (external link) |

Strontium
Durr?
7,403 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 10, 2015 07:18 |  #5

Thread titles in forum thread lists now point to page 1. This is to make AMASS more compatible with the way all other forum work, make it better for the search engines and reduce confusion where the link goes. On thread page you have a "GO TO FIRST UNREAD" command (if thread is not followed). So, on thread listing pages you have possible options (all like before except the title link):

Thread title -> to top of page 1
Small page links -> to top of the respective page (first or last page)

Unread info on the title row are pretty self-explanatory:
"go to first new" -> to first new notified post (followed threads)
"go to first unread" -> to next unread page (vanilla read marking)
"(nothing new) go to first unseen of x" -> to first unseen post in followed thread. The thread has no new notifications but you have either missed to read x posts here and there or cleared notifications without reading.

Pekka,

I notice that on my mobile device it's very hard to click on the page links because they are right below the title and also are very small. If I want to visit the last page of a thread, without any new replies/unseen, after this update it seems I'm going to have to go to the first page, then click 'last page' on the first page...or use a stylus in order to be able to click the last page underneath the title, in the thread listing.

Would it be possible to always have the 'go to first unread' type button on the right side but renamed if the thread is completely read to say 'go to last post'? Or maybe move the page links further away from the thread title?

I am I

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,414 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 12, 2015 16:45 |  #6

Image uploader failed to store the other uploaded image (rarely). This is now fixed.

I just had this happen to me. Uploaded two images. Both thumbnails showed in the uploader box. I clicked on both thumbnails so in the text editor I had ATTACH A and ATTACH B, but only the first showed in Preview, the second wasn't there. When I closed the uploader box and reopened it, the thumbnail for the second image was gone.

I emptied the cache and tried again. Same result.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,784 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 12, 2015 17:18 |  #7

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17514558 (external link)
I just had this happen to me. Uploaded two images. Both thumbnails showed in the uploader box. I clicked on both thumbnails so in the text editor I had ATTACH A and ATTACH B, but only the first showed in Preview, the second wasn't there. When I closed the uploader box and reopened it, the thumbnail for the second image was gone.

I emptied the cache and tried again. Same result.

Thanks. It does not help to know it is already fixed in 1.33, I know... :oops:

I know the 1.33 update has been delayed (not a surprise :rolleyes:) but there are some good reasons for it: my "real work" related (lots of concerts) and merely because of making it better and polished. For example:

One significant improvement that took some time to achieve and which was absolute necessary, had to do with the new EXIF reading automation. As most photos posted are from Flickr, I got really frustrated as they strip EXIF from their resized images and original image path is hidden (if it exists at all). Also, their API for EXIF is not free for a site like this, and the API does not deliver all data (aperture is missing etc.). They also print the EXIF on their pages with AJAX, which means reading source html does not get it.

Because of all that, having an automated EXIF reading to fill the metadata and have a one-click add-to-gallery really has not much use if Flickr images won't co-operate with it. So, as I said I got frustrated on this, produced a theory how it could be possible, coded it and so AMASS 1.33 can get EXIF from any Flickr image (if the EXIF was read by Flickr in the first place, that is). It is not a "hack", just a logical procedure to emulate a human reading Flickr pages with a browser :). The end result is that all Flickr images can now have EXIF, and AMASS 1.33 will get it automatically after post submit.

I have also fixed the "MDJAK" bug on the index page (thanks). Gallery browser has been improved, and you can also position it now to the left, right or bottom. Bottom position works great on large screens. 500px embed tool is updated to support current 500px extensionless image paths and new data layout. Histogram view is added to each image (without the easter egg knowledge). A thread's first post peek popup (optional) has been added to thread listing. And a lot more done for a better user-experience here and there. There are some things yet to do, I'll update this as soon as I am ready.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,414 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 12, 2015 17:30 |  #8

Pekka wrote in post #17514601 (external link)
Thanks. It does not help to know it is already fixed in 1.33, I know... :oops:

Oh, hold on, Pekka, I somehow was under the impression we were already in 1.33, so I thought I'd let you know the fix didn't work! My turn to go :oops:

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Strontium
Durr?
7,403 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 12, 2015 17:35 |  #9

Strontium wrote in post #17468562 (external link)
Pekka,

I notice that on my mobile device it's very hard to click on the page links because they are right below the title and also are very small. If I want to visit the last page of a thread, without any new replies/unseen, after this update it seems I'm going to have to go to the first page, then click 'last page' on the first page...or use a stylus in order to be able to click the last page underneath the title, in the thread listing.

Would it be possible to always have the 'go to first unread' type button on the right side but renamed if the thread is completely read to say 'go to last post'? Or maybe move the page links further away from the thread title?

Bump? No opinion?

I am I

Strontium
Durr?
7,403 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 12, 2015 17:44 |  #10

Guess not.

I am I

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,784 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 12, 2015 17:47 |  #11

Strontium wrote in post #17514619 (external link)
Strontium wrote in post #17468562 (external link)
Pekka,

Bump? No opinion?

I think there already is a "go to last post" command for each thread, on the column "last post". Or maybe I do not understand the question.

Strontium
Durr?
7,403 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 12, 2015 17:52 |  #12

Pekka wrote in post #17514629 (external link)
I think there already is a "go to last post" command for each thread, on the column "last post". Or maybe I do not understand the question.

I'm referring to mobile. Maybe I'm missing something, too. It is there, but like I acquiesced, it is right below the title of the thread and almost impossible to click without a stylus.

I am I

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,784 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 12, 2015 18:06 |  #13

Strontium wrote in post #17514634 (external link)
I'm referring to mobile. Maybe I'm missing something, too. It is there, but like I acquiesced, it is right below the title of the thread and almost impossible to click without a stylus.

The "last post" column is easy to click: it takes you to the last page as well.

I can make adjustments to narrow screen layouts, but that tweaking needs to wait for a while at the moment. Things are never as easy as "move them to position x" as e.g. Android loves to guess what is tapped instead of doing it like iOS where the actual position of the tap is honored.

Strontium
Durr?
7,403 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 12, 2015 18:21 |  #14

Pekka wrote in post #17514649 (external link)
The "last post" column is easy to click: it takes you to the last page as well.

I can make adjustments to narrow screen layouts, but that tweaking needs to wait for a while at the moment. Things are never as easy as "move them to position x" as e.g. Android loves to guess what is tapped instead of doing it like iOS where the actual position of the tap is honored.

Easy to click for whom? For me, it's underneath a bunch of other text.

I am I

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,784 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 12, 2015 18:34 |  #15

Strontium wrote in post #17514672 (external link)
Easy to click for whom? For me, it's underneath a bunch of other text.

I'll try to clarify:

I am talking about the "last post" link, not the "last page" link. Last post link is easy to click and it gets you to the last page, too.

The red arrow points to the "last page" link.
The blue arrow points to the "last post" link.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

5,805 views & 6 likes for this thread
AMASS 1.33 Changelog (advance information)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.